Mail host configuration check with WEB.de

Hello,

I have got problems with the configuration check by SpamCop for the mail host WEB.de. It's just a forwarding e-mail adress.

I did not have any problems with GMX and Googlemail though.

The header is not being accepted. SpamCop answers that it has been altered. Even I see that the header doesn't look the usual way - for example there is no space in the lines which follow the "Received:"-line.

SpamCop writes:

In this sample, the problem was found near the line:

by mx04.web.de with smtp (WEB.DE 4.110 #277)

Now my header looks like that (I replaced my e-mail adress by x[at]web.de):

Received: from [204.15.82.21] (helo=sc-app2.spamcop.net)

id 1LRlAf-0006rg-00

for x[at]web.de; Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:27:53 +0100

X-SpamCop-Conf: <secret code>

Received: from [141.30.211.97] by spamcop.net

with HTTP; Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:27:50 GMT

From: SpamCop robot <mhconf.<secret code>[at]cmds.spamcop.net>

To: x[at]web.de

Subject: [spamCop] account configuration email

Precedence: list

Message-ID: <wh497ee1a6g72f6[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:27:50 GMT

X-Mailer: http://www.spamcop.net/ v2

Sender: service[at]admin.spamcop.net

I have found no other way to get the header from the web.de website.

Or shall I try to use Outlook Express for instance to get the header in it's "normal form"? (Would it even help?)

Thank you very much!

Moderator edit: Removed secret code and replaced with <secret code>

Hi LenaMalina,

MailHost config issues are typically resolved first by checking that you are following the correct process (which you seem to have done) then by referring the problem to Don, the SpamCop admin - admin[at]admin.spamcop.net

Don's an expert at identifying the problems and can usually assist you.

I suggest you contact Don directly.

Andrew

I have got problems with the configuration check by SpamCop for the mail host WEB.de. It's just a forwarding e-mail adress.

I did not have any problems with GMX and Googlemail though.

The header is not being accepted. SpamCop answers that it has been altered. Even I see that the header doesn't look the usual way - for example there is no space in the lines which follow the "Received:"-line.

SpamCop writes:

#1: Please see the Pinned entry with the "read before posting" tags ... title as seen below;

Pinned: Mailhost Issues - please read before posting

Please Read BEFORE Posting

#2: As suggested i the numerous How to ask a Good question links, you don't really state how you are obtaining your data. It could be guessed that you are talking about copying stuff from a web-page using a browser, but .. why should we have to guess?

In this sample, the problem was found near the line:

In your example, it's not that a space is missing, it's that white-space has been removed. On one hand, this is an issue with this application which is why the use of a Tracking URL is so much more desired. Assumedly, your complaint would then be that you can't get a Tracking URL because the spam won't parse, which would then suggest the use of the BBCode 'code' tag in your post. (Noting that even this really wouldn't help, as the white-space has been removed by whatever tools you've used to grab and post the data.)

You have also exposed your "private/secret" submit address in your post. Here again, Don is the person to contact about getting a new account configured.

I have found no other way to get the header from the web.de website.

Or shall I try to use Outlook Express for instance to get the header in it's "normal form"? (Would it even help?)

This would seem to boil down to another way to handle the e-mail from that account. As far as "fixing the problem" it would seem that you'd be the best judge of that. If the problem is caused by your selction of tools and process to copy/obtain the data for your submittal, then yes, OE would probably resolve that issue. However, if it's actually a server issue, then no, using OE won't fix it. The FAQs, Wiki, and the How to use ... Forum section have data dealing with How to get full headers and various versions of Outlook Express are accounted for.

referring the problem to Don, the SpamCop admin - admin[at]admin.spamcop.net

I'm not sure that this is a valid address. Don's own posts refer to service[at]admin.spamcop.net and the web-form contact lists are also found at the Where to get Help Wiki page.

I have now taken the header from the forwarded mail to my main account. SpamCop accepted it. It seemed really to be the whitespace problem.

May I ask another question - what is different for SpamCop now (after I registered all my e-mail accounts in the configuration check)? I still log in and copy&paste the header+body of the spam mail in the spam report box. Does SpamCop analyse it now using my mail host onfiguration data?

And sorry for having asked "incomplete" questions before. I really don't understand much on this (informatics) subject...!

Thank you!

May I ask another question - what is different for SpamCop now (after I registered all my e-mail accounts in the configuration check)? I still log in and copy&paste the header+body of the spam mail in the spam report box. Does SpamCop analyse it now using my mail host onfiguration data?

Not sure how to answer that. After performing the MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account, your MailHost data is used during the parse of your submitted spam. The parse output looks different, some details change, a bunch of things. If you ddn't 'see' the difference yourself, then there'd be the question of the rest of your spam processing steps. One easy assumption would be that you are not looking at the "Full/Technical Details" in the parser output ... a configuration setting under Peferences or use of the checkboxes provided. The scary part is that you are responsible for te outgoing reports, and if you're not sure what's going on, whether the Reports are correct, or if the MailHost data had been input and incorporated correctly, your Reporting Account may be in jeopardy.

Are the Pinned, FAQ, and Wiki data not sufficient to offer at least some starting clues?

I have now taken the header from the forwarded mail to my main account. SpamCop accepted it. It seemed really to be the whitespace problem.
Please send me your login username (email address) so I can review your settings to make sure everything is OK.

Do not post that information here. Email me directly at service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Does SpamCop analyze it now using my mail host configuration data?
Yes. The Mailhosts system completely changes the way SpamCop looks at your spam. When you have registered your hosts, SpamCop now knows who provides email service for you and can more accurately pinpoint the source of the spam you report.

And sorry for having asked "incomplete" questions before
Please accept my apologies for the rude reception you received here. I assure you that SpamCop does not condone that behavior.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Please send me your login username (email address) so I can review your settings to make sure everything is OK.

Do not post that information here. Email me directly at service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Facts already made a few times within this Discussion .. there was even some discourse on a possibly wrong address offered up. Apparently, there's some thanks for not reading everything that needs to be offered up ...????

Yes. The Mailhosts system completely changes the way SpamCop looks at your spam. When you have registered your hosts, SpamCop now knows who provides email service for you and can more accurately pinpoint the source of the spam you report.

If everything goes right, the ISP/Host never changes their settings, on and on .... That's where all my posted caveats come from.

Please accept my apologies for the rude reception you received here. I assure you that SpamCop does not condone that behavior.

??????? As usual, not a clue as to what you seem to find offensive. Noting that "we" still don't know how the missing whitespace issue may have happened. For example, there was a user with an issue with Yahoo web-mail and it boiled down to simply making the browser window just a hair wider, which rearranged the line-wraps, which solved the "missing data" problems.

However, I will once again point out that a user Registered here, asked a question, and received answers, apparently leading to a successful result. That's the purpose of this Forum and once again, it worked.

Archived