How to tell Spamcop to ignore your spam

danorton

This is nothing new, as people have complained about it for a long time, but to turn the problem on its head, if you want to send spam that can't be reported to SpamCop, put a line like this in the header:

Received: from SYSVSERV-02.Intranet.SysMind ([fe80::c567:9a8a:75eb:ba0]) by

SysVServ-02.Intranet.SysMind ([fe80::c567:9a8a:75eb:ba0%12]) with mapi id

14.01.0355.002; Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:08:48 -0500

SpamCop can't process IPv6 headers and one might reasonably conclude that SpamCop should report the spam as if the line were not present, but this isn't how SpamCop works. Instead, it bails out and rejects the spam entirely.

I'm completely stunned that the folks at SpamCop have been allowing this loophole for so long.

Unfortunately, teaching SpamCop to handle IPv6 headers is a long and complicated process.

Nonsense. It's trivial to tell SpamCop to ignore a header it doesn’t know how to parse. Any developer who tells you otherwise is a lying spammer or is just plain ignorant.

This is a loophole big enough to drive a mining truck through. It makes SpamCop absolutely useless against any spammer aware of this loophole.

Nonsense. It's trivial to tell SpamCop to ignore a header it doesn’t know how to parse. Any developer who tells you otherwise is a lying spammer or is just plain ignorant.

Simply ignoring a header (any header) will make anything beyond that header invalid because there is no way to determine where the header came from (or went to). That will make the entire parse invalid.

I report all spam that makes it to either the SpamCop Held Mail folder (very little due to grey listing) and all spam in 4 different GMail accounts (one for each family member). I also report all spam to my work account. It amounts to about 15-20 spam/day. I have been doing this for close to 10 years now. I have seen the IPv6 problem maybe 20 times and only over the last 12 months or so.

Until IPv6 address's become the first IP in the headers, anything after the first occurrence of an IPv6 address is invalid anyway and useless for reporting.

Interesting. I had a message that had the IPv6 address in the first occurrence about a year ago that I posted to these forums, however, the reporting link has already expired. The issue is that some mailer programs put the port along with the IP in the headers. IPv6 uses that same colon delimiter in its address. This will make the parsing portion much harder if you have to decipher the port difference from the IP.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived