Yahoo webmail has changed, how to submit now?

tpkeller

Yahoo has recently changed their web interface such that I can no longer forward spam as an attachment. The only way I have been able to report Yahoo spam is to open the message, display full headers, copy and paste the entire message, then CLEAN UP the copy to remove web links and options that are embedded between the headers and message body, THEN paste directly into the spamcop reporting window.

This is obviously way too many steps.

Does anyone have any insight on how to quickly and efficiently report Yahoo spam directly from their web interface?

Why would Yahoo make it HARDER to use a tool like Spamcop?

Theron

Yahoo has recently changed their web interface such that I can no longer forward spam as an attachment. The only way I have been able to report Yahoo spam is to open the message, display full headers, copy and paste the entire message, then CLEAN UP the copy to remove web links and options that are embedded between the headers and message body, THEN paste directly into the spamcop reporting window.

This is obviously way too many steps.

Does anyone have any insight on how to quickly and efficiently report Yahoo spam directly from their web interface?

Noted from the Yahoo Mail Blog
That being the case we are still going to be hard at work behind the scenes tweaking and streamlining Yahoo! Mail Classic. Already back by popular demand is Forward as Attachment. Many of you never saw it go away, only seeing its impending removal on the list of changes, but worry not, it will remain a part of Classic (if you are using the updated Classic all you have to do is hold the Ctrl key - Command Key for Mac users - when you click on the Forward button).
...Why would Yahoo make it HARDER to use a tool like Spamcop?
Heh, it was all a mistake Guvnor. Or, they are ultimately in the business of managing and selling bandwidth and spam is an excellent way to consume bandwidth, especially the sort of spam that nobody sees.

Noted from the Yahoo Mail BlogHeh, it was all a mistake Guvnor. Or, they are ultimately in the business of managing and selling bandwidth and spam is an excellent way to consume bandwidth, especially the sort of spam that nobody sees.

Wow thanks, that was fast... I don't know how in the world they expect anyone to know that the old option is available without reading through their fine print, it is certainly not obvious, and they don't have any info about it right there on the main page. They must not think it's something the general user would find useful.

Theron

Posted into the How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials > SpamCop Reporting Forum section, yet it actually appears to have been a question that started this Topic .. which would be addressed by the Forum Description provided as;

How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials

System parts & Functions not fully explained under an existing Help menu / option .... Questions still needed to be asked about How to use/do something are to be posted into that function's Forum section.

With this post, moving this Topic to the SpamCop Reporting Help Forum section which also carries the description of;

A forum to help users with reporting spam using the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service. Questions about the SpamCop Email System and/or Accounts should be directed to the SpamCop Email System & Accounts Forum. Questions about "your e-mail Blocked by SpamCop" should be directed to the SpamCop Blocklist Help Forum. Etc. etc., etc.

Many thanks (as usual <g>) to Farelf and his research and provided answers and guidance.

... I don't know how in the world they expect anyone to know that the old option is available without reading through their fine print, it is certainly not obvious, and they don't have any info about it right there on the main page. They must not think it's something the general user would find useful. ...
I opened a Yahoo account. You're right there's nothing there (the new Yahoo, whatever they call it). And no way to make an email submission as a forward. I 'reverted' to Yahoo Classic (or Classic Improved or whatever they call it - from Australia, YMMV though initial membership was using the generic American interface), obliging their request for feedback about why I was being so reactionary
I need a way to forward spam (with full headers intact) to SpamCop AS AN ATTACHMENT. Yahoo's spam handling is, no doubt, very efficient, but I want to do something more proactive about it otherwise this stuff just keeps consuming more and more bandwidth and the whole internet suffers. Sweeping it under the carpet is no solution to the longer-term problem. Contributing to bl.spamcop.net listing procedures is one way. At least there is then the opportunity (for mail servers using that bl) to cut it off at the SMTP transaction stage, before the whole message is accepted.

Get on board - save the planet or (remain) part of the problem.

No doubt they will consider themselves suitably chastised, NOT. And, sure enough, I couldn't find any instructions in the 'old' Yahoo pages either. The new thing doesn't support all browsers - Mozilla, IE5, FFX <2 being amongst those not workable - so, for the moment, they have incentive to continue with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received this message from Yahoo Customer care after my inquiry about the update to Yahoo Mail Classic and the inability of Mac users to "Forward as Attachment":

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Mail.

I'm sorry, but right now Yahoo! doesn't offer a "Forward as attachment"

shortcut for Macs. I've forwarded a copy of your email to our Product

Team who are always on the look out for new feature ideas. I can't make

any guarantees on when this feature will be added, but I'll see what I

can do about getting it implemented for you.

We're always working to improve, and input like yours helps us do just

that. With your help, we can make our services better, stronger, and

more user friendly.

Be sure to check the Official Yahoo! Mail Blog for more information and

the latest updates about Yahoo! Mail!

- http://ymailupdates.com/blog/

Regards,

Ralph

Yahoo! Mail Customer Care

What's the best way for us Mac users to forward e-mail now?

What's the best way for us Mac users to forward e-mail now?

If you were a SpamCop email account member, you could use popgate to download email from Yahoo and report from there. If you pay for Yahoo or are in an area where you can forward all messages to another account, that would work as well. Basically, you need to get the messages off of Yahoo to another mail account.

That being the case we are still going to be hard at work behind the scenes tweaking and streamlining Yahoo! Mail Classic. Already back by popular demand is Forward as Attachment. Many of you never saw it go away, only seeing its impending removal on the list of changes, but worry not, it will remain a part of Classic (if you are using the updated Classic all you have to do is hold the Ctrl key - Command Key for Mac users - when you click on the Forward button).

This doesn't work. I was really hoping though!

I was just online yesterday w/their live help and they told me there was no way to FWD as an attachment.

Since they'd recently done a fairly good job of blocking spam as noted in my earlier post, all wasn't too bad in Yahoo-land with both the free and paid versions I have.

Lately there's been a flurry of ATM, phishing (the kind I HATE the most), lottery and Nigerian bank fund xfer types of spam so I've started to fwd that to the appropriate destinations. Now that Yahoo has made this all the more difficult, THEY get a copy as well (network-abuseATcc.yahoo-inc.com) since I have to cut and paste all that sh_t now.

Maybe they'll get the idea?

I doubt it but it feels good anyway.

Wheeee!

"I've forwarded a copy of your email to our Product Team who are always on the look out for new feature ideas."

Tell that drone, "OI! It's an old feature!"

e

Moderator Edit: Fixed Quoting

...This doesn't work. I was really hoping though!

I was just online yesterday w/their live help and they told me there was no way to FWD as an attachment.

We have "Spammers' Rules". We need "Support-desk Rules". I propose #1 - "Support staff lie". Their on-line FAQ says it works (admittedly that's a little old now). But I just now went online (Win XP, IE7) and successfully forwarded an email to another (external to Yahoo) address as an attachment by holding down the Ctrl key as I (full of hope and trust) stabbed the "Forward" button). The relevant part of the forwarding chain looks like:
Received: from n76.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com ([98.136.44.48])

by my ISP inwards munged out with SMTP; 29 Jun 2008 09:40:52 +0800

Received: from [216.252.122.217] by n76.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 29 Jun 2008 01:40:51 -0000

Received: from [69.147.65.171] by t2.bullet.sp1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 29 Jun 2008 01:40:51 -0000

Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp506.mail.sp1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 29 Jun 2008 01:40:51 -0000

X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3

X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 250804.91637.bm[at]omp506.mail.sp1.yahoo.com

Received: (qmail 98800 invoked by uid 60001); 29 Jun 2008 01:40:51 -0000

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

h=Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID;

b=puCfcAv+bCLXzYf6SH5S287cgSXEFYpt03OLAk2VQaa2MZDMvlXF2ddneiWO9hn8TD1bod/cmScgi8ep9dBVxbpv8zx4iJdAWGSWFddTqNtdc377CH6qIZo1QVB5ZpVHhcOL4nTqi4aEymgqQXjyCHD9ziP/sdY5+iI0b5EMm40=;

Received: from my ip munged [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] by web46210.mail.sp1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:40:50 PDT

X-Mailer: YahooMailWebService/0.7.199

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:40:50 -0700 (PDT)

...Lots of other stuff

- and the original message was (sure enough) included behind a mime boundary and the declaration "Content-Type: message/rfc822"

Then I tried forwarding to SC and (since it was an internal LAN message) SC confirmed I was spamming myself. Sorry, no tracker provided, it has "me" and unmunged-unspammed real addresses all over it.

As mentioned before, I signed up for a Yahoo US account, ignored offers to transfer to Yahoo AU - no sign that they moved me but I guess servers for Yahoo AU use are invoked anyway so my experience is, I guess and apparently, different. So, keep at them. It can work. It used to work for you. It works for others. Why should scungy Aussies get something you don't ("Bad blood the Australians, descended from convict stock," as Winston Churchill was - allegedly - kind enough to remind us - but he relented to allow our volunteer troops to go on to die on British battlefronts after all. But we were obviously unworthy).

I am in the US with Windows and just tested it to work. It does not work in the new webmail, but works fine in Webmail Classic. Also, I can only report one message at a time. I needed to turn off Yahoo's spamguard to get something to test with.

For my configuration, I simply turn off the Yahoo spamguard (in Classic, have not found the option to turn it off in new) and have all messages picked up by my SpamCop account. I know this does not help you.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that was their intent but also in Yahoo's version of New Coke also no longer allows auto-fill of addresses! That is damned annoying as you have to use that silly address book now.

Spamcop, knujon, spam[at]uce etc, etc all came up at once with the click of a couple letters before.

I don't think that was their intent but also in Yahoo's version of New Coke also no longer allows auto-fill of addresses! That is damned annoying as you have to use that silly address book now.

Spamcop, knujon, spam[at]uce etc, etc all came up at once with the click of a couple letters before.

Hmm, autofill is working just fine for me...

Hmm, autofill is working just fine for me...

I believe I read this either on the Yahoo Mail blog or elsewhere that it was a known change, but I can not locate it right now on the blog for the details. I believe it was only on the "New mail" application, perhaps only with certain browsers.

Autofill is working for me with new mail and Windows Vista/IE7.

• 1 month later...

Yahoo did this to me once before. Got rid of as attachment. When I got their instructions to hold ctrl, which does NOTHING on a mac. Not on safari OR firefox, they kept insisting it was somehow on my end.

I have three accounts on yahoo. One had not yet been "up"graded. So I forwarded THEIR reply to the one working account. Then replied through that.

Well then they wanted to be sure I actually owned that account and asked me every blasted thing under the sun to prove it, (Shoe size, mothers maiden name, wind direction in france...) Well... so I forwarded all that back to the first yahoo account and replied to them AGAIN!

Well... that convinced them. My forward AS option reappeared. And it worked fine for many months.

Now... as of Sept 2, they did it again. TWO accounts were "up" graded. (Down graded if you ask me.)

ONE was left alone.

All I get from their support is the same canned stupid reply. Visit our blog, read about all the great improvements. And... how they value my opinion and will pass it along to their team.

So... lets all assume that last part is true. EVERYONE with yahoo accounts needs to scream bloody murder!

This is a basic function isn't it? Forward as attachment? Why would they get rid of it?

ON an off topic thing here, hotmail became unusable too when they "up" graded. It's why I moved to yahoo.

Today I tried to report some spam from hotmail, spamcop instructions say "right click" to bring up the view source.

Well... again MAC here. There is no right click. Command click usually does the same and that did not work.

I sure hope spamcop can keep up with all these so called upgrades.. Else the spammers win.

Ya the right click thingy doesn't work on Mac. I have a free Yahoo which most of the spam lately has been text looking to give me and inheritance/lotto type scam and those are no problem to FWD. There are no links hidden in html or images. It DOES involve viewing the header in a separate window and doing a cut and paste in the FWD.

Now my PAID ATT acct. now no longer has FWD as attachment available and that is a very recent change. Fortunately they have a much stronger filter setup there and very little spam gets through to the BULK folder. The free account is not so well filtered.

Eric

• 3 months later...

Archived