Mail/dns issues

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are aware of a problem with the DNS servers which is affecting mail etc. Our DNS is served by zoneedit and something has gone wrong there. We are trying to get it straightened out. Thanks for your patience.

any ETA? I noticed this around 8AM and now its 11:20AM and I have no email. I run a business. cant receive email since spamcop pulls email from my domain host and filters it and I read it from SPAMCOP IMAP.

BUT SPAMCOP FILTERS IT so I only want to see the FILTERED MAIL. not all the spam

You can have filters virtually identical to this system in many conventional domain/web hosting situations. On mine (a VPS), I can configure SpamAssassin and RBLs (including SCBL) and then use Horde with similar filters to those I use on SC webmail.

DT

BUT SPAMCOP FILTERS IT so I only want to see the FILTERED MAIL. not all the spam

Since this is most likely a temporary problem the suggestion is also a temporary solution so that you have access to your important Email. Once the DNS is restored there will be a rapid restoration of evrything you are used to.

Andrew

Since this is most likely a temporary problem the suggestion is also a temporary solution so that you have access to your important Email. Once the DNS is restored there will be a rapid restoration of evrything you are used to.

Andrew

Where are we with this issue? Now 12:36PM and still not working.....

We are aware of a problem with the DNS servers which is affecting mail etc. Our DNS is served by zoneedit and something has gone wrong there. We are trying to get it straightened out. Thanks for your patience.

It would be nice if you would post something on "Latest and Current Announcements"

It would be nice if you would post something on "Latest and Current Announcements"

2PM and no update... I said this in the other thread, but thsi will be the second time it has gone down to the pont of me hearing mail is bouncing back..

Might be time for a change...

I'm still trying to understand how a DNS problem would cause a page about a SQL problem to display. Usually, DNS problems manifest with "unable to find server..." sorts of messages.

how does DNS effect the error we all see:

A fatal error has occurred

Could not connect to database for SQL SessionHandler.

Details have been logged for the administrator.

PLEASE UPDATE US as it now 2PM EST and this has been down since 8AM

how does DNS effect the error we all see:

A fatal error has occurred

Could not connect to database for SQL SessionHandler.

Details have been logged for the administrator.

PLEASE UPDATE US as it now 2PM EST and this has been down since 8AM

It is now 2:10 PM And I saw failure trying to send email using cesmail server at 5:00 AM

Getting mail failed later.

WE need to be kept informed. It it going to be 1 hour, 1 day or 1 week based on what you know now?????????????????? We need to make plans based on your estimate.

I have no additional news to report. We are trying to get DNS restored. We are just as unhappy as you are about this.

Just a thought, since we're getting no info from Spamcop management: Some have posted questioning why we are all getting a "SQL database error" page when the announcement said it was a DNS server issue: it may be their DNS service provider's servers that are generating the error page...

In any case, as cheap and normally effective as it is, I find Spamcop's methods for handling such situations much too amateurish for 2012. In saying that, I'm referring to their apparent inability to provide ANY notice except deep inside a very poorly maintained user forum. Is the main web page for www.spamcop.net (where manual submissions can be pasted, which is still visible) so set in stone that an administrator can't include a bold red notice when the email service, including webmail, is down?

been down since before 5AM EST, and still no word.

Actually, there have been two posts from Email Support, both in this thread, so it's not really accurate or fair to say "still no word." However, the "words" have not been as detailed as most of us would like to see.

DT

Actually, there have been two posts from Email Support, both in this thread, so it's not really accurate or fair to say "still no word." However, the "words" have not been as detailed as most of us would like to see.

DT

when the user has to hunt for those words, most times unsuccessfully, then that equates to no word

i knew to come here because of previous dealings with this poorly run excuse for a forum

i also know that there will be no apology, no official word from spamcop

unacceptable

DT

As a paying user since 2004, I consider that level of notice/support laughable. Even the "words" we have seen were quite difficult to find, especially considering none of the "words" are posted where they should be! May I suggest a big red "WEBMAIL/EMAIL SYSTEM DOWN, please stay tuned" posted on the MAIN www.spamcop.net page, instead of inside a topic thread 3/4 down a forum topics page, past all of the "READ THIS FIRST" and "LATEST NEWS/ANNOUNCEMENTS (last updated December xx, 2011" headlines?

Yes, I agree that the notice could be much more prominent--it should be posted in "Announcements." However, the primary admin of these forums hasn't been here in many months, and the email service is only a part of what makes up "SpamCop." More than half of the activity here has more to do with the reporting service and spam in general, rather than with the provision of email service to those of us crazy enough to still be paying for it (after all the outages and the way they've been handled).

DT

As a paying user since 2004, I consider that level of notice/support laughable. Even the "words" we have seen were quite difficult to find, especially considering none of the "words" are posted where they should be! May I suggest a big red "WEBMAIL/EMAIL SYSTEM DOWN, please stay tuned" posted on the MAIN www.spamcop.net page, instead of inside a topic thread 3/4 down a forum topics page, past all of the "READ THIS FIRST" and "LATEST NEWS/ANNOUNCEMENTS (last updated December xx, 2011" headlines?

EXACTLY.. That last time this was down for a LONG time, I had to GOOGLE SEARCH and FOUND THE FORUM.. I would not have known otherwise... today I had to search again to find the notice and forum posts..

I have given up.. I moved my domain to filter through GMAIL. We will see how this works. Once spamcop is back. I will move my folders over and am done I think... We'll see....

This is not the way to do business....

Unfortunately, DNS issues can sometimes take days to resolve - even if they fix the problem at the DNS host, the information has to propagate. However, my guess is that the problem is for some specific hostname that the email service uses to access its database, so it might be resolved more quickly. (Then again, if that was indeed the problem, they could get the service back online quickly by using the IP address.)

As for what to do - I will tell you what I am doing, which is switching to Gmail. I don't particularly like this as a solution, because I dislike Google having access to so much of mine, but it works. Google offers "Google Apps" (including Gmail) for your domain for free, up to 10 users.

I've been a Spamcop paying customer for many, many years, but I see how the service has slid since the Ironport acquisition.

Archived