POP3 mail collection stopped?

chrism

Is anyone else getting their e-mail collected by Spamcop by POP3? Mine appears to have stopped, with no mail being collected by Spamcop from my ISP (Demon Internet in the UK) for well over an hour. The Webmail "Configure POP3 servers" page shows no errors, and I can successfully retrieve mail from my ISP myself.

I've reported the issue via the "Problem" link on Webmail.

This is one reason I recommend that people use a forwarding option whenever possible, rather than the POP, but I suppose it's a matter of personal preference.

Not personal preference in my case, but necessity - my ISP does not offer mail forwarding as an option!

It looks as though someone's just kicked the machine, or put some more money in the meter or whatever needed doing; I finally got mail collected a few minutes ago after a 2h outage, so (fingers crossed) problem solved!

The problem that occured a few days ago of Spamcop not collecting mail by POP3 from external accounts appears to have recurred. No mail has been picked up from my ISP for about the last 5 hours. I've reported this via the "Problem" link of Webmail, but could someone leave Jeff a message about it when possible, please?

My ISP is Demon Internet in the UK. Webmail reports no errors, and there are no issues with my ISP's POP3 server.

Thanks!

[On edit - thanks for alert, merged with existing topic]

• 2 weeks later...
Other users are reporting the same problem. I'll call Jeff, the owner of the email service, and alert him to the problem.

Any news? The only reason I have this spamcop is account is to collect mail from Hotmail, so it's a bit annoying that it hasn't worked for weeks :(

I can still access my Hotmail accounts via Mailwasher Pro, so it looks like your problem rather than Hotmail.

Oh, I can still POP from non-Hotmail servers, so I'm just querying the Hotmail access.

Thanks.

lP

Any news? The only reason I have this spamcop is account is to collect mail from Hotmail, so it's a bit annoying that it hasn't worked for weeks :(

I can still access my Hotmail accounts via Mailwasher Pro, so it looks like your problem rather than Hotmail.

Oh, I can still POP from non-Hotmail servers, so I'm just querying the Hotmail access.

I read where Microsoft Hotmail is phasing (phased) out the ability to POP these accounts it may be this is what has happened' It does not explain why Mailwasher can access (or is it using HTML not POP for retrieval)

My new LapTop is preloaded with Vista and Outlook Express is no longer available. I can only use "Windows Live" (not impressed with either, seems to me Microsoft has lost the plot)

I believe you have to sign up to a us$20 HotMail Plus to get "POPing" ?

Took this info from a google search

Our POP service requires that you use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection and use SMTP authentication. This is to ensure that your email address and password are not subject to tampering. The settings are the following:

POP: pop3.live.com (port 995)

SMTP: smtp.live.com (port 25)

Note: make sure you check the box that indicates that your outgoing server requires authentication (in most mail clients this is not checked by default).

Username: your full email address

Password: your Windows Live ID password

IMO you are best to get and use the ONLY Email address you will ever need

• 1 month later...
Other users are reporting the same problem. I'll call Jeff, the owner of the email service, and alert him to the problem.

Two months later - Same question: Any news? :unsure:

Mailwasher is working fine (still) and I'm about to abandon using spamcop for Hotmail retrieval and just POP directly myself. (Yes, you can still POP 'old' Hotmail accounts - It's just the new ones that don't work).

Some feedback would be appreciated - I'll be closing at least one spamcop account if this isn't going to work any more :(

lP

Archived