Reporting setup

maryann

Oh No! I think I've been bouncing mail ever since I got Mailwasher! They do not make the consequences blatantly obvious to those of us with little knowledge.

Bounce is now disabled and I will leave Wiki and quick reporting well alone.

Thank you for your clear concise instructions. Exactly what I and I daresay other beginners need.

[moderator edit - split from http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=69666 ]

I will leave the quick reporting well alone as I do not understand the headers.

No I'm not okay with the mailhosting setup and not sure about the 'full' reports and I would really appreciate some guidance please.

Perhaps someone like me (who, I think, has just replied to her own post rathter than to Miss Betsy) should not be using spamcop? However, with help I would like to perservere as I find spam an unacceptable intrusion.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

There are extensive instructions if you go to the Spamcop FAQ at the top left of the page. However, there is also a forum section 'How to...' If you go here, you will get a short version on how to submit spam to spamcop.

Please read the entire post before trying to submit a spam (you need to get a spamcop account first, by the way). The link to the instructions on how to 'forward as attachment' are toward the end of the post. Forwarding as attachment is essential to success.

To report via spamcop has two functions. The first, of course, is the hope that the server administrator receiving the report will stop the spam. However, this happens very rarely any more. The second is that the report is added to the spamcop blocklist. If there are enough reports, the IP address from which the email has been sent is published and anyone who uses the spamcop blocklist to filter spam will have the emails from that IP address tagged as spam.

The headers - the technical part of the email - are what is important. Feel free to ask questions about what you read in the FAQ. Wazoo, or another moderator, will probably move your post since learning spamcop is not a 'New Feature' - we try to keep all the different topics separate to make it easier for people to find what they need.

Miss Betsy

[done]

...Perhaps someone like me (who, I think, has just replied to her own post rathter than to Miss Betsy) should not be using spamcop? However, with help I would like to perservere as I find spam an unacceptable intrusion. ...
Fear not - the reporting was designed to be used by all (even Quick Reporting), it is just confusing until you know your way around and there is an amount to be learned to do it well. Miss Bestsy has pointed you to some instructions which should help get started - and ask all the questions you want.

The way I started was by pasting individual spam ('full unmodified email' using the first - "Report spam" tab in my member page - http://members.spamcop.net and I went from there to email submissions of batches of spam. I found it better to have the 'full technical details' for the parse result shown because that made it easier (for me) to follow. That setting can be selected from a checkbox on the page where you paste in the spam.

...No I'm not okay with the mailhosting setup and not sure about the 'full' reports and I would really appreciate some guidance please....
Maihosting is getting the parser to recognize your mail service provider so it can better work out where the spam came from. It is actually very straight forward unless you have multiple mail accounts but in any event the wiki article http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/MailHostConfiguration provides the detail. The process is handled through the second tab on your member page.

Archived