We have lost Miss Betsy

Wazoo

Miss%20Betsy.jpg

http://www.fergusonlee.com/_mgxroot/page_10780.php?id=858928

Elizabeth M. Henley

Born in Manhattan NYC, New York on Dec. 23, 1941

Departed on Nov. 21, 2010 and resided in Bedford, IN.

BEDFORD - The family of Elizabeth (Betsy) M. Henley mourns her passing on Nov. 21, 2010 in Bedford.

She was born Dec. 23, 1941, in Manhattan NYC, New York to George E. and Laura Thompson Merritt.

Her memory will be cherished by her husband of 47 years, Joseph L. Henley; daughter, Laura Henley of

Bedford; son, Matthew Henley and wife, Karen of Flemington, N.J.; daughter Jane Henley and husband Ben

Kupronis of Atlanta, Ga.; six grandchildren, Jack, Peter, Brendan, Will, Paul and Kate; and foster

son, Ben Hart of Salisbury, Md.

She is reunited with her parents; halfsisters, Marjorie Ellersieck and Madeline August; and her

halfbrother, Donald Merritt.

Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church with Father Rick

Eldred officiating. Burial will be in Fort Lincoln Cemetery, Brentwood, Md.

Friends may call from 4-8 p.m. on Tuesday at the Ferguson-Lee Funeral Home with a rosary being said at

7:30 p.m.

The family suggests memorial contributions be made to the St. Vincent de Paul Society or HHAFFA

(Hoosier Hills Armed Forces Families Association).

NOTE: there is a guestbook available.

Talked to daughter Laura again today. She's going to try to package up and send me some more background data, as their local paper has seen fit to make any access to their news/articles a pay-to-view option.

I knew of a few things that she did in her 'free' time, but ... what an amazing list of things I knew nothing about. No idea how she managed to work 'us' into her life/schedule. Just a few things that Laura offered up in a short phone call ....

she cared for the vigil candles at St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church for more than 25 years

worked at the local food pantry

volunteer for the local United Way

volunteer at the local "Little Theater"

volunteer at the Lawrence County Museum

volunteer at the Bedford Boys & Girls Club

founded the Hoosier Hills Armed Forces Families Association

received a Woman of Excellence award a couple of years back

Miss%20Betsy%20and%20husband%20Joe1.jpg

Miss Betsy and husband Joe commemoratng a combined 36 years of Red Cross volunteer/staff service

The couple had been selected to be the Grand Marshalls of a local parade (to kick off the holidays) .... daughter Laura rode in the car with her Dad

As stated, caught Laura as she was heading out for an appointment, so this was just a quick list of what she could think of ...... how Miss Betsy found the time to do all the fantastic stuff here is nothing short of amazing.

My relationship with her dates back to helping her through the configuration and usage of Outlook Express 4 (if I remeber correctly) .... she called on me to help recover the Hoosier Hills Chapter of the American Red Cross web-sire after it got hacked .... and then her involvement with this Forum and its associated bits. Believe me, I have missed her much for a number of months while she was fighting to get well. I have no doubt that everyone here will definitely miss her guiding and shining light.

Miss Betsy was one of the first regulars I recognized and respected when I started lurking around here.

She is missed.

...Amen to that! Modesty (for example, her sig: "an almost new internet user") and cheery helpfulness were the hallmarks of her posts here.

Sadly missed.

The Miss Betsy username was also a family familiar name/nickname and harks back to the old novel The History of Miss Betsy Thoughtless and its protagonist yet nothing could be further from the character of our Miss Betsy than the younger version of the literary character. We chuckled over the unconscious irony of it, she and I - because selfish and insensitive she was not (nor ever had been, it can be guaranteed). I liked to kid her about the IMHO thing, pointing out that self-professed humility is a most unreliable assertion (as any behaviourist would attest) - yet for her it was true. She was certainly about manners - good manners - and if that was her only legacy it would be enough but she gave so much more besides - including the sharing of her relevant technical competence ("fluency" she liked to call it), the possession of which she always denied and surely believed she didn't have though of course she did. And, whatever she did, she did it with kindness.

Yes, she is missed, is Miss Betsy.

It is hard to expand on Steve's (Farelf) post above. Miss Betsy was a calming force in our forums for many years and one of our best contributors. Her memory will surely endure in our archives and in our hearts. A belated thanks for her many contributions here and elsewhere. She apparently lived a full and productive life and will be missed by all that knew her. May the Lord bless and comfort her family and friends as they and we morn her passing for the hole that is left in our lives. But at the same time rejoice in the peace and salvation that she has now found in her Lord and Saviour.

I am already missing Miss Betsy's posts. I feared something might have been wrong when she dropped out of sight after years of assiduous posting.

I always felt a kinship with her, since she seemed like someone who (like me) had no special training or professional experience in the field of e-mail or networking who was nevertheless motivated to dig into it out of sheer outrage at the criminal and fraudulent antics of our friendly chickenboners.

Farewell, Miss Betsy -- I'll LART a few more spammers in your memory.

-- rick