External POP not working after latest crash?

OK, the mail service is back BUT: I am not getting anything POP'd in from my external account. My settings look OK in Spamcop, although there is an error message. Any idea what I should do?

David

I'm seeing the same. Webmail reports "Unknown error: 10". I've submitted a problem report. I'd suggest you do the same.

Chris

I'm seeing the same. Webmail reports "Unknown error: 10". I've submitted a problem report. I'd suggest you do the same.

Chris

Confirming... I've also been seeing same error every 15 min or so since service came back up about 1800 -0400. Have verified that I can successfully POP from server for my external accts using a local POP client. Only SpamCop POP pickup service is having problems. Filed problem report about 2100 -0400. Still waiting...

-- EstherD

OK, the mail service is back BUT: I am not getting anything POP'd in from my external account. My settings look OK in Spamcop, although there is an error message. Any idea what I should do?

David

We are going to restart the POP server

Write to service[at]spamcop.net to open a case and ticket number if that doesn't solve the problem

Write to service[at]spamcop.net to open a case and ticket number if that doesn't solve the problem

Assuming you've done the restart by now. It has NOT fixed the problem.

Since I already filed a problem report and got a case #, I'll just bag it for tonight and hope for better times tomorrow.

-- EstherD

Sorry, still not fixed. Still getting "Unknown error: 10". I can collect mail direct from my ISP without problem, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem at Spamcop's end. Email sent as requested.

After the last 24 hours' fiasco with the DNS servers crashing and losing all my day's mail, I went through the laborious effort of re-configuring SC so all 9 of my accounts POP, only to have every single one fail with various errors, and the annoying thing is, I did it right (done it so many times before).

Back to forwarding to SC again. Sigh.

I just hope and pray that the type of crash that happened yesterday doesn't happen again.

After the last 24 hours' fiasco with the DNS servers crashing and losing all my day's mail, I went through the laborious effort of re-configuring SC so all 9 of my accounts POP, only to have every single one fail with various errors, and the annoying thing is, I did it right (done it so many times before).

Back to forwarding to SC again. Sigh.

I just hope and pray that the type of crash that happened yesterday doesn't happen again.

forwarding is recommended over POP if it is possible to do that.

I know. Keeping my fingers crossed that next crash the mail is backed up so it can be restored.

The good thing about it was that a whole day's worth of spam was bounced.

I notice this morning that it hasn't deterred them...LOL.

Thanks.

;-)

Problem is... it isn't always possible. As an example, Forwarding and Greylisting interact badly in many cases, leading to bounced mail. So if you need Greylisting to help reduce spam volume by blocking junk sent by SpamBots, then you can't use Forwarding.

-- EstherD

I know. That's part of the reason why I turned Greylisting off.

There should be a way to whitelist the forwarding server(s). Or, better yet, there should be some way to specify a list of trusted servers that are completely exempt from Greylisting.

Ahhhh... but think of the implementation issues! Yes, I can hear the groans from the programmers in the back room. ;)

But that IS how I setup Greylisting on a bunch of mailservers I used to run in a former lifetime. So I know that it CAN be done...

-- EstherD

yesterday when this happened, I moved my stuff to GOOGLE(gmail). I have my DOMAIN forwarding to GOOGLE to use THEIR spam FILTERS. Im using OUTLOOK 2007 so I set up IMAP with GMMAIL and set a default folder. Now, what is better then spamcop is that when there is a messsage that gets through I can just move it into the spam FOLDER and that works the same as clicking on spam in the GMAIL WEB INTERFACE. cant do that with spam COP. also, if a message is sent to spam and it isnt, I just move it out and that is the same as using the GMAIL WEB INTERFACE "NOT spam" button.

Really nice. I am currently moving my folders over to see how much space I take up....

Oh and I really dont know if any mail was lost yesterday... I could have missed some mail but I dont know.... I cant have that happen when I run a business. ever...

This just up on the news page:

Mar 22, 2012

[10:29 EDT] We are working on 2 problems: 1) issues involving POPing user specified servers; 2) mx.spamcop.net is not working, mx2.spamcop.net *is* working and is handling the inbound mails without a problem.

This just up on the news page:

Mar 22, 2012

[10:29 EDT] We are working on 2 problems: 1) issues involving POPing user specified servers; 2) mx.spamcop.net is not working, mx2.spamcop.net *is* working and is handling the inbound mails without a problem.

Issue NOT RESOLVED.. I am done with SPAMCOP. I cant rely on this for my business.. I moved everything to GMAIL and set it for IMAP. the way you can move mail between folders and it acts just like you are using the gmail interface is awesome!!

Good news - I've just had a successful POP mail collection. Hopefully that means that the issue is well on the way to being fixed.

Chris

Again, I am GLAD I switched off of SPAMCOP... NEVER again.... I think I lost a bunch of mail but not 100% sure....

Archived