Alternatives to Spamcop

unclewoody

In the recent Spamcop Webmail Down thread, some people were mentioning abandoning Spamcop for gmail.

I have been a Spamcop user for 10 years who has been looking to jump ship since the last big outage. Spamcop's uptime and customer service are just unacceptable for 2014.

Any alternatives to Spamcop as well as gmail that other people are looking at? I've been trying out the popular German-based gmx.com which seems pretty good (and free) although not great - but better privacy issues than gmail. Thanks for any info!

Before continuing in this direction I urge you to study this post. This forum is supported by the email provider. I feel very strongly that as a longtime supporter of the email service that there would not be a forum without support for the email service from me and others. I just wanted to point that out.

That said, it's also been suggested that the provider of the email service may not be reading the threads where users are registering their complaints.

Before continuing in this direction I urge you to study this post. This forum is supported by the email provider. I feel very strongly that as a longtime supporter of the email service that there would not be a forum without support for the email service from me and others. I just wanted to point that out.

That said, it's also been suggested that the provider of the email service may not be reading the threads where users are registering their complaints.

Yeah, I was a bit sensitive to posting my question here.... I probably wouldn't have posted, but lots of people had already asked the same question. I figured admin isn't present since all we have heard from them recently is "We are still working on the failure. Thanks for your patience" while we near a 24-hour outage, which is pretty unheard of by any professional online service these days.

... but it does seem like this forum as well as Spamcop seem to be somewhat abandoned relics.

I've been using it for over 10 years, but have had so many large problematic disruptions over the past year that I can't justify continuing. I'd probably be much more sympathetic if customer service wasn't so absent. In this era of Twitter, I do find it silly that I'm combing an old PHP forum trying to see what the status of my email is!

Yeah, I was a bit sensitive to posting my question here.... I probably wouldn't have posted, but lots of people had already asked the same question. I figured admin isn't present since all we have heard from them recently is "We are still working on the failure. Thanks for your patience" while we near a 24-hour outage, which is pretty unheard of by any professional online service these days.

... but it does seem like this forum as well as Spamcop seem to be somewhat abandoned relics.

I've been using it for over 10 years, but have had so many large problematic disruptions over the past year that I can't justify continuing. I'd probably be much more sympathetic if customer service wasn't so absent. In this era of Twitter, I do find it silly that I'm combing an old PHP forum trying to see what the status of my email is!

Yes I agree. Unless a fire destroyed the building housing the servers, I have reprovisioned new servers with extremely complicated configurations in hours and had customers back on line. So I really do not understand a full day of down time. The news is whoever is housing their servers is probably not over responsive to the needs, especially on the weekends.

No, you were right to post this. If you had not I likely would have, as I've been mulling the issue for some time now.

The events over the past year or so have proven that CESmail is no longer capable of delivering a reliable service, and more importantly correcting errors in a timely manner. So it's time to find another provider who can meet those goals.

The question is: who? I've done some research, but honestly I haven't gone shopping for a new email provider in nearly 15 years, so I'm not sure who and what to look for.

These days I'm not seeing a particularly high volume of mail, so beyond 1GB or so of storage it's less about the capacity and more about the reliability and services. Really I just need an email service that can stick with me through ISP changes for another 15 years.

What I'm looking for, in no particular order

• Excellent spam filtering
  • IMAP/SMTP Access
  • Domain name that isn't shared with a free email service
  • STMP service that isn't likely to get blacklisted (i.e. hosting right next to a rented VPS spambox)
  • Reliability
  • Webmail access
  • Not run by an advertising firm (e.g. Google). I don't need paranoia levels of privacy; just not having all my mail scanned to build a profile on me would be nice

A bit of digging has come up with several email providers. I'd be curious if anyone here has worked with any of these guys previously, and/or has heard anything that would be of use in picking one.

If anyone here has any thoughts on the matter, I'm greatly interested in them. If I'm going to get off of CESmail, then the people most likely to know of a good similar service are the other people here using CESmail.

...Topic hidden and OP Warning Level raised with the following PM sent:

Subject: Please Do Not Discuss Alternative Providers Here

Hi, unclewoody,

...You probably missed the earlier discussion of the last outage in which we discussed the impropriety of discussing the specifics of alternatives to "SpamCop" e-mail on this Forum, which is made available to us by the providers of the "SpamCop" e-mail service. I have made your Topic "" so that it is no longer viewable and set your account to require Moderator review before any future posts will be allowed to be viewed. To remove this setting, kindly send a PM to either our Forum Admin, Farelf, or to me. Sorry for the inconvenience but I feel that we need to minimize such posts so that we don't risk having this facility taken from us!

• 6 months later...

If you are more concerned with sending email reliably then I suggest you try aweber. I've had it for years and although it's a little clunky (not as clunky as spamcop though) they are quite strict with double optins on your list... but they get the emails through to your subscribers and conform to can-spam rules (e.g. unsub links at bottom of emails etc.).

Archived