Yahoo Headers

Yahoo changed their headers and SpamCop is having trouble with them. It could go on for a while. We're working with Yahoo to get it fixed.

>- Received: from 98.139.245.220 (98.139.245.220) by 10.194.16.167

They have taken to using an Internal IP instead of a server name when they get the email.

All you can do for now is keep trying, and delete what you can't report.

Sorry for all the trouble.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

While this explains why I'm having trouble with my spam reports. Along with not being able to re-add my Yahoo account I deleted to test something.

I thought it was just the way I was doing it, so I e-mailed the admins, I do admit I do forget about the forums as I rarely come on here unless I'm trying to find out if others are having similar issues or if their some maintenance going on.

I guess till this is fixed, it looks like I'm on my own for abuse reports. :(

Thanks for the update. I was wondering why SpamCop wouldn't process my Yahoo spam.

Sadly, I'm not surprised it's on Yahoo's end.

I'm not surprised either. I'm sure that among the regular users of Yahoo services (?) who come here, volumes could be written, but that's another story.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Spamcop for a long, long time, and even paid for it for a few years, and I said I was done, but I'll give you guys time to resolve it. I know it's Yahoo's problem. It always has been. I really don't think reporting spam did anything anyway, at least not anymore, but I still liked the satisfaction of reporting any that got thru the Yahoo filters (not many anymore) and any that said it was sent by one of my friends on facebook or had my name or address in it anywhere.

I submitted a spam mail from Yahoo, it went through fine, and the very next one I tried to submit a few seconds later produced the dreaded "Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source". What's going on?

Yahoo changed their headers and SpamCop is having trouble with them. It could go on for a while. We're working with Yahoo to get it fixed.

>- Received: from 98.139.245.220 (98.139.245.220) by 10.194.16.167

They have taken to using an Internal IP instead of a server name when they get the email.

All you can do for now is keep trying, and delete what you can't report.

Sorry for all the trouble.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

This would probably explain why since the last couple of weeks - every single spam i have reported, seems to be sent via the Yahoo network. And here i am - paying Yahoo customer - wondering what the hell is going on with Yahoo that they now seem to be sending 99.9% of all spam i received.

This would probably explain why since the last couple of weeks - every single spam i have reported, seems to be sent via the Yahoo network.

<snip>

...Unless I'm missing something: no, the two things are not related, unless it's because spammers have become aware of this problem with the Yahoo headers. I suspect that's not it but rather that spammers know, and have for many years, that Yahoo!Mail accounts are free and Yahoo historically relatively lax about enforcing their TOS (https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/ section 6g).

should I just stop using my yahoo email ? the spam is nonstop

--- ok, so I removed the bulk email folder from the filter and let yahoo deal with the spam so it doesn't show up in my email program. Half ass solution.... thank you for doing a good job on the spamcop end of things though. Its much appreciated. -- Wish I could say the same about yahoo but I can't. Such is life. It goes on.

I get a few spam from my Yahoo account and a few false negatives from my Gmail account, but most of the spam I get is from my ISP (belgacom.net/skynet.be) account, and for a very simple reason: unlike Gmail, they drop "suspected spam" to the blackhole bitbucket, so I cannot rescue false positives: therefore on that account I have disabled server-side spam filtering. All in all this new Yahoo problem is to me only a small nuisance. I suppose Yahoo will have to be "special-cased" in the parser but AFAIK it'll work when it'll work. In the meantime, I suppose Yahoo spam (just like IPv6 spam IIUC) will have to be left aside. Don (and others), let's hope you find how to fix the bug. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Yahoo is being (mostly) good about putting spam messages in the spam folder, but I would still like to report the more obnoxious messages. I don't understand why Yahoo can't block obvious spam/ scam e-mails?

Just today, I got a scam e-mail allegedly coming from the FBI warning me about how Nigerian banks are stealing money... and I should only send my ATM card to them!

How many people are falling for this scam because Yahoo (or its upstream providers) won't stop the spam? And why does Yahoo think people want these kinds of messages?

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. ;)

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Yahoo is being (mostly) good about putting spam messages in the spam folder, but I would still like to report the more obnoxious messages. I don't understand why Yahoo can't block obvious spam/ scam e-mails?

I have no idea what processes Yahoo currently use to filter email.

There have times when my personal preference would be to reject a particular email outright rather than redirecting it to a spam/junk folder. The decision to do so can be influenced by the presence of the sending machine's IP address in Spamcop or someone else's blacklist.

Trouble is, there is no "one size fits all" solution; one man's junk is another man's treasure. It's one thing for me to design a spam filter for a server that I run myself for my own benefit, but my own preferences might not suit others if my efforts were applied to a system with a user base the size of Yahoo.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. ;)

No apology needed.

lisati: You're right no one size fits all. When my ISP gets a message for me that its filters regard as spam, it's down the trash, up in smoke, never-never land for the message, not even a warning for me. No idea how many genuine (and sometimes important) messages have thus been killed because they were false positives. False negatives I can live with (especially if they come within reach of Bayesian filters — my own mail client's or the server's — which I can “trainâ€), but I absolutely want a way to retrieve false positives, no matter how spammy they might seem for the cybernetic eyes of the mail server's filters.

That's why I prefer servers like Google (and, apparently, Yahoo) where "assumed spam" messages are only diverted to a spam folder on their webmail site (instead of forwarded to their POP server) and not dropped into the black hole, so I can at least have a look at them before they are discarded. This way false positives are only delayed by the time it takes me to return to their spam folder, not lost forever.

Archived