Another outlook 2003 addin

jellob2

Hi,

I have been working on a simple Outlook 2003 addin and have just posted the source code (it's GPL) to SourceForge if anyone is interested.

It's fairly simple at the momement, only supports web submissions (simply copies the full headers and body to the clipboard) but some may find it useful.

I haven't had time to test the installer so this is a source only release. I can email the installer if anyone is brave enough or I should get time to test it in the next few days.

Cheers,

Nic

spamcop at sync2iod dot com

SourceForge is a pretty big place. I'm not sure I'm in the mood to go searching for whatever you might have called your scri_pt. And of course, not knowing who you are, that you seem to have so gracefully solved the "great" Outlook problem that others have fought with for so long ... judgement must be reserved until the code is seen, I suppose .. just not sure why you want to play some game of "find my code" ....

Ah a url that would help :huh: I guess I was somewhere else when I posted....

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ckage_id=122276

The code is a COM Add-in written in C#. What is the "great" Outlook problem ? Maybe if this doesn't solve it, having spent the last few days googling for everything to do with COM Addins, MAPI, CDO, MAPIEx I have learnt a bit (the major is Microsoft don't make anything easy!!) and maybe able to solve it :)

Cheers,

Nic

Ok, decided I didn't like the dependency on a non-GPL'ed lib, so figured out how to do the MAPI property stuff myself :)

New source and an installer at:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...lease_id=249257

The installer hasn't been tested much but you will need the following:

- Outlook 2003 (with Outlook PIA installed).

- .NET Framework 1.1

Cheers,

Nic

Hit both links, walked around a bit, see why my search last night for anything to do with Outlook failed to find your stuff ... I wasn't even able to pull up any kind of generic desription to explain what this was all about, as the best I could do was keep stumbling into descriptions of the "synciPod" stuff .... the requirement of the .NET stuff is a turn off, and in all fairness, I'm still using Office 97, so I'm done looking ... but you might want to work a bit on the presentation of your code stuff at SourceForge ...???? Good luck, hope it does end up helping some folks.

Sorry it will only work with Office 2003 (although a compile against Office XP PIA is all that is needed for Office XP). It is my understanding that the Outlook object model doesn't expose the underlying MAPI objects in early versions of Outlook so this technique wouldn't work anyway.

The download is piggybacked on the Sync2iPod sourceforge project till I find a home for it :) Hence no information...

Cheers,

Nic

I've got some VBA code that might work with older versions of Outlook. I'm running Outlook 2000, that's what it was designed for. It'll work with Outlook 2003, if you change the code workaround that forces Outlook 2000 to immediately send the spam reports, rather than waiting for the next scheduled Send/Receive. Outlook 2000 has a bug in it that requires the code workaround, Outlook 2003 doesn't have that bug. You might also have to change the code that looks at the folders and finds which one you're using for spam.

http://www.hillscapital.com/spammerslammer.zip

It's got full installation instructions in the source code, including how to create your own security certificate and sign the VBA code with it, so you can keep Macro Security at High, and the VBA code will still run, while blocking unsigned scripts from running. Just open the .bas file in NotePad, and print it out. The instructions are pretty comprehensive (read: long), but it's everything you need to get the code running.

The code's got error checking (so you can't accidentally report SpamCop autoresponder emails as spam, so you can't accidentally report non-mail items as spam, etc.), and a whitelist that checks the email's sending address against those in your Contacts folder, so if a friend's email accidentally ends up in your spam folder, and you accidentally try to report it, you've got a chance to cancel the report. You can report multiple spams at once by selecting all of them, then clicking the 'Report As spam' button. And, the code's been tweaked to get around some of the issues that SpamCop experiences (the Would Send error, the Dumb Bot issue, non-printing characters, etc.)

It helps if you know a bit of VBA coding, so you can tweak the code to suit you, if you want.

I've got my copy set up to report to SpamCop, the FTC, and several Block Lists. You can add in any reporting addresses you want, in either the To:, CC: or BCC: fields.

The code's open source with attribution, so feel free to tweak it, distribute it, create a self-installing plug-in with it, etc. If you update it, let me know, so I can get a look at the updated code and learn a bit.

Pardon my asking, but is there any documentation on usage of your com-add-in, Jello?

I've got almost 600 spams from last 4 days, and not really interested in taking the time to individually cut and paste each one.

Problem originates from university having a public faculty directory with emails.

No docs yet sorry......here is a quick run down:

- Install the msi.

- Open Outlook 2003.

- Go to Tools->Options->Other (tab).

- Click advanced options.

- Click COM Add-ins...

- Check 'Spamcop Addin'.

- Click Ok to dismiss all dialogs.

- There will now be a SpamCop button on the standard toolbar.

- Selecting a mail from the explorer and clicking the button will paste it to clipboard.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nic

PS I suspect the mirros are down at sourceforge as you don't specifcally upload to one mirror. Instead the package is posted directly to sourceforge.

Yes, thank you for the reply.

I had already found the Australian site, and downloaded, and read the source.

So installed fine, and works as advertised.

However, and this is not a comment on your work at all, I find my self spending too much time doing the manual tasks of pasting and twice reporting, plus running samspade.org to trace the url's in the content of the mail itself. There must be an automated solution that allows reporting spam without so much manual effort, and so much time as to cause me to go back to simply deleting, except for forwarding to uce[at]ftc.gov.

The next version I plan to add spamcop email reporting, which will make things a lot simpliler....the geek in me prefers the web posting as I like to see all the gory details the SpamCop parser extracts from the headers.

A good idea though to be able to post to other email addresses other than the spamcop reporting address.....now just to find the time....maybe this weekend.

Cheers,

Nic

I try to keep the distribution down to a small list:

Enforcement[at]sec.gov - For "stock pumps" and other securities-related

scams.

fhaynes[at]fcc.gov - For FCC-related complaints

fraud[at]uspis.gov - For Ponzi MLMs, other mail-fraud related

"mail fraud" covers a wide-range

419.fcd[at]usss.treas.gov - For Nigerian 419er scams

UCE[at]FTC.GOV - All unsolicited commercial email -

i.e., all spam

Archived