Webmail filtering - custom filters

I understand (from browsing previous discussions) that the custom 'Filters' I can set in webmail (unlike the whitelists/ blacklists/ blocklists) are applied only when I log into webmail. But I have SpamCop set to forward all my filtered emails on to my ISP immediately, and I don't use the webmail interface myself, so it seems these custom filters will hardly ever be used.

The way it currently works, if (let's say) I set a webmail filter to dump all email with "SEXUALLY EXPLICIT" in the subject line into Trash, I'll still receive forwarded emails processed by SpamCop with "SEXUALLY EXPLICIT" in the subject line. The filter doesn't come into play, as I'm not using webmail.

The only effect of the filter would be that, if at any time I logged into the webmail interface, any messages sitting in my Inbox (i.e. the very, very few messages which hadn't yet been forwarded) will be checked against my filtering rules, and any of those emails headed "SEXUALLY EXPLICIT" would -- at that time only -- be moved to Trash.

Now, the way I thought it would work (before browsing the help forums) is that any time SpamCop processes an email message, it checks my custom filters, and acts on them. But that's not the way it happens, is it? Pity. :(

Have I understood this correctly? Is there any way of routinely filtering forwarded email against the user-set custom filters from webmail? I would truly appreciate the chance to employ vigorous custom filters on my inbox!

Cheers, Nick

You have read and understood the filtering rules correctly.

If you do not want to use the spamcop web mail interface, the only way you will be able to do the filtering you want is to create the rules on your local client. Most clients (including outlook express) allow for the setting up of custom filters.

Wazoo, would it be possible to submit a request to alter the spamcop mail interface to implement the filtering rules on a specific schedule ie once an hour, as compared to the present method of running them only at logon time? It would be nice if it could be run each time a message was received, but I am sure that would put a greater burden on the servers.

If you do not want to use the spamcop web mail interface, the only way you will be able to do the filtering you want is to create the rules on your local client.  Most clients (including outlook express) allow for the setting up of custom filters.

Thanks dbiel for this, and thanks Wazoo for the earlier answer. (I don't use OE, thank goodness!)

I'm perhaps in an unusual position -- it's not my Inbox that concerns me. What I'd really like to do is automatically move incoming mail from Held Mail into Trash if it fails one of my "spamminess" tests. I reckon a few well-crafted filters could seriously reduce the amount of held mail I have to skim through looking for false positives. Background: my vanity domain is being dictionary attacked -- one useful side-effect of this is that a lot of my spam has very similar characteristics. SpamCop is excellent at trapping the incoming bulk mail, but I'd like to do worse than that...

Wazoo, would it be possible to submit a request to alter the spamcop mail interface to implement the filtering rules on a specific schedule ie once an hour, as compared to the present method of running them only at logon time?  It would be nice if it could be run each time a message was received, but I am sure that would put a greater burden on the servers.

Or if the schedule were set to "filter when forwarding"? Us mail-forwarders wouldn't need anything more than that... :)

Cheers, Nick

I do not believe that you are going to get any help on this one.

If I understand the set up correctly it works in the following sequence:

mail is recieved by spam cop.

1) White list filters are applied and any white listed mail is forwarded (as set up in your preferences, default is to your spamcop inbox).

2) Black list filters are applied and filtered mail is sent to the held mail folder and the remaining mail is handled as if it were white listed.

3) Custom filters are applied to mail in your inbox (does not apply to mail in the held mail folder).

The filters can be applied at time of login, each time the inbox is displayed or on demand (as set in your preference file).

I do not believe that you are going to get any help on this one.

If I understand the set up correctly it works in the following sequence:

mail is recieved by spam cop.

1) White list filters are applied and mail is forwarded (as set up in your preferences, default is to your spamcop inbox).

2) Black list filters are applied and filtered mail is sent to the held mail folder and the remaining mail is handled as if it were white listed.

[etc.]

Per your sequence, mail is forwarded after whitelisting but before blacklisting? Are you sure? What would be the point of blacklisting, then?

EDIT: I get it. It's "forwarded" to my SpamCop webmail inbox. What I was talking about is the "real" forwarding, when SC forwards processed emails back to my ISP.

As to your first line, I'm afraid I agree. Client-side filtering seems (to me) to be missing the point. I'm looking for ways to choke my spam problem as far upstream as possible... not to spend every waking minute fighting spam myself. Guess I'll have to talk to my ISP and Domain folks... it's just a shame SpamCop's filters won't do what I wanted them to.

Cheers, Nick

would it be possible to submit a request to alter the spamcop mail interface

There's nothing to stop you from asking <g> support <at> spamcop.net will get it into JT's InBox. Whether the server software can do it, and whether JT will go along with it is another issue <g>

automatically move incoming mail from Held Mail into Trash

That's one of those dangerous things, great for someone who is willing to chance the accidental deletion of something 'important' ... but what an available spot for oh so many complaints when e-mail goes missing. Vice some ISPs that reject, bounce, drop, or actually delete e-mail for various reasons, the ethic 'here' is that your e-mail will arrive, but it may be managed. Loss of e-mail is a bad thing.

Client-side filtering seems (to me) to be missing the point

Just pointing out that there are a lot of folks out there that believe that client side is the only way, usually justified by that only you can determine what is good / bad in your InBox ..... and some people complain when that decision is taken out of their hands by their ISP (especially when not informed of this action)

Example, I was on a call, downloaded and wanted to install the AVG anti-virus tool .. but waited and waited and waited for the registration code to show up (using that client's e-mail address) Three tries over a couple of hours and still no response from AVG, which was unusual. Tired once more, but used the client's HotMail address, and sure enough, registration arrived within seconds. I had to go through 4 people at her ISP to find one that seemed ot recall that he had heard something about them using SpamAssassin .... another two people to find out that the only person that really knew (and how it might have been configured) wouldn't be back for three days .... In this case, sure the client might have seen a reduction in spam, but .. no knowledge of how much e-mail was never going to arrive .. and how the AVG registration code e-mail made it to the position of "blocked" I still don't know ....

Just pointing out that there are a lot of folks out there that believe that client side is the only way, usually justified by that only you can determine what is good / bad in your InBox .....  and some people complain when that decision is taken out of their hands by their ISP (especially when not informed of this action)

Yes, but... it seems fair enough to me if I dev/null email sent to a non-existent address at one of my domains, an address that's been made up at random by a spammer with a dictionary. Where's the risk? (Worst case, I miss out on a "legit" make-penis-fast offer. I can take that risk...)

It's not as if I'm going to "lose" any more real emails (e.g. with typo's in the address) than I would in a sanely ordered world...

You lost me ... that you would dev/null an e-mail on your system addressed to a non-existent address is totally your call. I was responding to your request for JT to put himself / the SpamCop E-Mail system as being the decision maker on deleting incoming e-mail ... thus far, the only offer is to "manage/filter" the stuff

Archived