Exchange stripping received headers

pjoules

I hope this is an appropriate place to raise this. Someone on the spamcop.geeks newsgroup said they reaclled an answer somewhere in the fora but I can't find it.

I am running an exchange 2003 server under SBS2003. Some mail is collected via spamcop using the SBS POP3 connector and some (for another domain) arrives directly.

In all cases Exchange is stripping off the received headers prior to entry into that box eg:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0

Received: from mail pickup service by mydomain.org with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:30:21 +0100

Thread-Index: AcS1vkDjZMx4lP4mRXO8Y1WmN5BPrw==

Return-Path: <xxxxx[at]xxxxxx.net>

Delivered-To: spamcop-net-xxxx[at]xxxxx.net

Message-ID: <000c01c4b5be$40e500e0$0100a8c0[at]mydomain.org>

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:30:21 +0100

X-Mailer: Microsoft CDO for Exchange 2000

To: <xxxxx[at]xxxxxx.net>

Subject: Held Mail Report

This mail went through at least one more server before me, note that the received header for that server is missing.

Does anyone know how to get Exchange 2003 to leave the headers alone? I have googled for appropriate keywords, searched various Exchange support sites and searched usenet and although I can find many people asking this question, I have not found an answer.

I can't recall a conversation over in the newsgroup that resulted in a simple pointer over here, but ..... as configuration of an SBS2003 systems has yet to be a discussion Topic here either, I could only suggest that the pointer must have been to the FAQ here which includes links to other sites for other data. The one that comes to mind right now would be slipstick .. see http://www.slipstick.com/exs/index.htm for Exchange server stuff. No idea if the answer is there, but it's definitely a good starting point. If not found there and the other sites listed in the FAQ aren't sufficient, you can try again here and I/we can give it another shot.

I made the original post in spamcop.geeks under the subject "MS Exchange stripping headers" The reply which pointed me here was:

"Steve Gilder" <nobody[at]devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

news:cl1pit$ha3$1[at]news.spamcop.net...

>

> I remember something about this in the Forums. Search for Exchange and I

> am sure you will find it.

>

> As I recall, a registry hack is required.

Thank you for the URL to Slipstick, but I have looked there as well as other likely links which I found in the FAQ whilst searching the fora. It appears that this is an issue where there seems to be very little information.... or my searching skills have let me down ;) . I would be very grateful for any suggestions which anyone here might have as I am just about at the end of my tether with this one. <rant>why oh why can't Microsoft just produce software which behaves the way that the rest of the industry does</rant>

Hi!

...FWIW, here's what I have on Exchange (this list is probably overkill -- sorry!)

...Searching Google Groups (Exchange and registry) may also help....

Guess I should have gotten back here a bit sooner .. yes, I did later go back and find that thread, but .. the reference in that response was actually pointing back to a post or two dealing with patching Outlook 2003+ to handle the stored header data a bit differently ... that answer was way off-base. But did you go though the entire slipstick set-up list? I'm thinking I quit chasing this down when I hit a list of 30 -40+ items in a list that dealt with all sorts of set-up conditions .. think it started with Administrator, then Administrative .... ????

But did you go though the entire slipstick set-up list?  I'm thinking I quit chasing this down when I hit a list of 30 -40+ items in a list that dealt with all sorts of set-up conditions .. think it started with Administrator, then Administrative .... ????

19219[/snapback]

I have searched slipstick using the keyword 'headers' and looked through all of the 82 results returned. I have also googled various permuations of 'exchange', '2003', 'headers', 'receiced'. I have done the same on the M$ site.

I have found various posts in various fora where others have asked the same question and received no answer. On the MS site, I have found http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827252 whihc seems to suggest that this was a bug in Exchange 2000, but there is no mention, as yet, of a similar problem in 2003.

As my mail is, in the main, filtered by SpamCop before I receive it this is not a great problem at the moment as I can delete the spam which gets past SpamCop without reporting it. It will, however, become a problem if/when mailhosts becomes compulsory as it means that I cannot register for that system as it depends on me returning the headers of a message which I have actually received.

I am grateful for the help offered here and, should I find a solution elsewhere, I will post the answer eher for the benefit of others.

--

Regards

Pete

If it's of any value, I blew several hours trying to find a "good" link for this also. The only thing of interest I could come up with was how many pages at Microsoft had links pointing to them, but the page didn't exist or had been removed. Links were good, URL came up, but the data that once was there now gone. This included one page identified as a general set-up procedures for Server 2003 ... found four links to it in other documents on a Microsoft page, but that page was non-existent. On the other hand, the data we're looking for is probably within one of those $300+ USD books available everywhere <g>

If it's of any value, I blew several hours trying to find a "good" link for this also.  The only thing of interest I could come up with was how many pages at Microsoft had links pointing to them, but the page didn't exist or had been removed. 

Thanks for your efforts. At least I haven't made myself look stupid by asking an easy question ;-). As my server is set up with the default settings, I suspect that this could become a significant issue when mailhosts becomes compulsory.

I have asked this question on some of the MS fora and newsgroups and got no positive answer there either so that leaves 2 possibilities; either you are correct that they want us all to buy the book(s) or there simply isn't an answer at the moment. I'll keep looking (and hoping) for an answer and will post it if I find one.

--

Regards

Pete

Archived