Unreportable spam

OsakaWebbie

What can I do about spam that is clearly meant just to annoy me, rather than sell me something? I got a message with no subject or body, and the following header:

Return-Path: <jessica02[at]icqmail.com>

Delivered-To: [munged]

Received: (qmail 7833 invoked

by uid 399);

10 Dec 2004 00:23:01 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO dslam4-79-59-81.dyndsl.zonnet.nl) (81.59.79.4)

by mail.hosting-advantage.com

with SMTP;

10 Dec 2004 00:23:01 -0000

X-Message-Info: 9G140IYrepl32CS4ucjKLKoXAY93nL8ztKFRdmdU908WZS1

Received: from [48.40.248.242]

by quakeress23384.pluton.81.59.79.4 via HTTP;

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:13:55 -0600

Message-ID: <5169727619.8[5

The header just stops there. The message was sent to the same two addresses on my domain that have been regularly receiving other, more "normal" spam (always with one address in TO, the other apparently in BCC). Any guidance is appreciated.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the broken Message-ID: string. Spams like these have been seen for years, but it's impossible to determine if it's busted spamware, idiot trying to use busted spamware, spam being sent through a broken server (or compromised machine) .....

I started getting these too, I had no spam for a while, then submitted my site to a website and right away spam started comming in on that email I use just incase its a spamming trap, should I report the site somewhere?

I believe it is still allowable to report these by entering a blank line and a simple body indicating it was added by you as long as you do not send them onto an abuse desk that asks NOT to receive munged messages. I have used <no body found> in the past.

Thanks, Steven. I typed "<no message body>" in the body section, and Spamcop accepted it, even though the header still looks like it's missing some pieces. I don't know which abuse desks don't want munged messages, but hopefully the two that Spamcop chose to send it to won't mind. I also mentioned the lack of a body in the comment field.

Archived