No incoming email for quite a while

qnr

OK, basically, I want to see if anyone knows if this problem is SpamCop related or not. Perhaps, if it isn't, someone might suggest where I could start searching for answers.

I've had a paid SpamCop account for a while, and it has always worked fine. I have my own domain, and in my domain manager, I have email addressed to various people (though not all) forwarded to my [at]spamcop.net address.

We moved a few months ago, and were without internet service for a while. Since we got back online, I have not been getting any of my email addressed to the domain. (Yes, it has been a while, and should have been looked into earlier, but I've been bouncing back and forth between Oklahoma and Maine). However, mail addressed to my [at]spamcop.net address is making it through.

I have no idea how to set up mailhosts for the relay through ehost.com

To top it off, I don't even know if it is a SpamCop problem, because I have mail addressed to my wife [at]ourdomain.name forwarded to her yahoo mail account, and she hasn't been getting any of that, either. Is my domain possibly on some sort of blacklist, or could that even apply to incoming mail?

Thanks,

Terry

No Domain data provided, no IP addresses provided .. general statements seem to indicate that "the Domain" has an issue. I'm still guessing at why SpamCop is where the question is asked. If you have a question about your SpamCop e-mail account, please start with the yes/no of "does it work? Can you send mail there and can you retrieve it by using a "direct" connection? All this "forwarding stuff that fails" sure seems to point somewhere else.

You talk about moving. What changes have you made to your domain?

New IP address? Were the domain hosting records updated correctly?

Did your domain registration expire? Who is doing the actual forwarding?

Remember that domains do not forward anything, mail servers do the forwarding.

So start with the admin of the mail server hosting your domain email. Also check with the registrar of your domain.

You made one major error posting here. We can not give you any help about your domain unless you tell us its name.

Well, I looked over some other messages, and it didn't look like domain names were the way to go. I have no problem providing them - in fact, I was consciously working not to.

the domain is aliboom dot com - primary email address would be terry at aliboom dot com

When I moved, I switched from DSL (where, even though it was a dynamic IP, I'd kept the same IP address for years) to cable. I've had to change my ip address in the domain manager a number of times. However, the mail is still forwarded -- anything addressed to terry at aliboom dot com is supposed to be forwarded to tross04401 at spamcop dot net

The hosting records were updated properly --- everything else works fine, my web server, and other servers for example. The registration is good until 2007. www.ehost.com is doing the actual forwarding (and has worked fine for a number of moves in the past).

I'm waiting for a reply from them, I asked here since I'm just wondering if I'm screwing up on the mailhosts thing or something, which is keeping spamcop from accepting forwards from ehost.com

No Domain data provided, no IP addresses provided .. general statements seem to indicate that "the Domain" has an issue. I'm still guessing at why SpamCop is where the question is asked. If you have a question about your SpamCop e-mail account, please start with the yes/no of "does it work? Can you send mail there and can you retrieve it by using a "direct" connection? All this "forwarding stuff that fails" sure seems to point somewhere else.

Yeah, I was deliberately leaving the domain name out, in case it wasn't wanted here. The domain is aliboom.com -- email would be addressed to (for example) terry at aliboom dot com

my IP address is 24.117.92.23

As to why SpamCop was asked.... Well, any mail addressed to my terry at aliboom dot com (for example) email address is being (and has been for quite a while) forwarded to my tross04401 at spamcop dot net address. In addition, I have a paid SpamCop email account, and it said to ask questions about it here. Since the mail has always, in the past, made it here, but suddenly stopped, with no changes to the forwarding I thought it appropriate to ask, specifically because I thought it might be related to recent changes at SpamCop, and generally because it seemed that this might be a good place to get a general hint if it didn't, since people here are familiar with email.

I agree, it does seem to point somewhere else. However, there have been no changes at ehosts.com, and they have forwarded my mail fine for years, even following moves -- there have been changes here though, (and changes at the yahoo.com address my wife uses, with something called "domainkeys" -- totally unrelated to SpamCop, but still a change, just like here) so I thought I might be missing some new configuration, possibly mailhosts or something.

...You may want to edit your posts to "munge" (make it difficult for an automated "bot" program to read) you email address -- something like "terry < at > aliboom < dot > com." Otherwise, you might find yourself receiving a lot more spam that you already do!

heheh thanks.  <sigh> I originally did that, then decided that it might be insulting for a SpamCop forum, so I just posted them straight.

21328[/snapback]

...You're welcome. Since it's a public forum, munging is good practice.

...Note: please be sure to actually Edit your posts and make that change! :) <g>

From the top, please do go back and mung the [at] things.

The "MailHost" configuration is a "reporting" condition .. there is no impact to the handling and processing of e-mail.

SpamCop is composed of several parts. The Reporting stuff is primarily in California, running on hardware maintained by IronPort. The software side of that is maintained by julian up in Washington State. The e-mail side of things is handled on hardware owned/maitained by JT in Georgia.

The FAQ has several entries that touch on disappearing e-mail. One of those involves some ISPs adding in filtering capabilities that in turn have quietly "dropped" mail headed for SpamCop, some because it looked like spam (probably due to that it was an attempted spam complaint) and other really bright software that saw the word "spam" and reacted. Not all of these ISPs have felt that this was important enough to tell their users.

I'm still stuck with that the 'final' status seems to be the ehosts system, but I'm not sure that you've offered enough troubleshooting steps to get to the botom of things. Again, can you talk to that e-mail server yourself and does it actually send e-mail out to anywhere? It sounds like you've got the perfect set-up to check .. send an e-mail from that ehost account to your SpamCop account ..???

Dig aliboom.com[at]dns4.name-services.com (64.74.96.242) ...

Authoritative Answer

Query for aliboom.com type=255 class=1

aliboom.com A (Address) 64.74.96.244

aliboom.com SOA (Zone of Authority)

Primary NS: dns1.name-services.com

Responsible person: info[at]name-services.com

serial:2002050701

refresh:10001s (20 hours)

retry:1801s (300 minutes)

expire:604801s (70 days)

minimum-ttl:181s (30 minutes)

aliboom.com NS (Nameserver) dns1.name-services.com

aliboom.com NS (Nameserver) dns2.name-services.com

aliboom.com NS (Nameserver) dns3.name-services.com

aliboom.com NS (Nameserver) dns4.name-services.com

aliboom.com NS (Nameserver) dns5.name-services.com

dns1.name-services.com A (Address) 63.251.163.102

dns2.name-services.com A (Address) 216.52.184.230

dns3.name-services.com A (Address) 63.251.83.36

dns4.name-services.com A (Address) 64.74.96.242

dns5.name-services.com A (Address) 212.118.243.118

Just a quick "don't see an MX record" note.

Parsing input: terry <at> aliboom.com

216.154.195.44 is an mx ( 10 ) for aliboom.com

host 216.154.195.44 = blade3.cesmail.net. (cached)

Interesting. especially in that you didn't mention this little tidbit ....

Uh...wait a moment...the DNS does indeed contain an MX....it's:

mail.aliboom.com

You can verify that at:

http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=aliboom.com

However, the bad news is that "mail.aliboom.com" is refusing all incoming connections. And yes, as Wazoo mentioned:

mail.aliboom.com = 216.154.195.44 = blade3.cesmail.net

So...is this a mistake in your DNS or did you contract with "Corporate Email service" (the folks who host the SpamCop email accounts) to handle incoming mail for your domain?

DT

...You're welcome.  Since it's a public forum, munging is good practice.

...Note: please be sure to actually Edit your posts and make that change!  :) <g>

21337[/snapback]

Yeah -- busy day -- been spending too much time on another forum where you only have a limited time to edit your posts.... done now, thanks.

From the top, please do go back and mung the [at] things. 

The "MailHost" configuration is a "reporting" condition .. there is no impact to the handling and processing of e-mail.

Noted, thanks

SpamCop is composed of several parts.  The Reporting stuff is primarily in California, running on hardware maintained by IronPort.  The software side of that is maintained by julian up in Washington State.  The e-mail side of things is handled on hardware owned/maitained by JT in Georgia.

The FAQ has several entries that touch on disappearing e-mail.  One of those involves some ISPs adding in filtering capabilities that in turn have quietly "dropped" mail headed for SpamCop, some because it looked like spam (probably due to that it was an attempted spam complaint) and other really bright software that saw the word "spam" and reacted.  Not all of these ISPs have felt that this was important enough to tell their users.

I've been reading it

I'm still stuck with that the 'final' status seems to be the ehosts system, but I'm not sure that you've offered enough troubleshooting steps to get to the botom of things.  Again, can you talk to that e-mail server yourself and does it actually send e-mail out to anywhere?  It sounds like you've got the perfect set-up to check .. send an e-mail from that ehost account to your SpamCop account ..???

Still waiting for them to get back to me. I send email out from my own machine. The only other alternative is to send it from my SpamCop webmail account. As far as outgoing messages go, my postfix log shows that my ISP is accepting the messages for relay. Any messages I send to myself addressed to my SpamCop email address make it to me. Any that I send that are addressed to the aliboom dot com addresses disappear into the ozone.

Dig aliboom.com[at]dns4.name-services.com (64.74.96.242) ...

Authoritative Answer

Query for aliboom.com type=255 class=1

aliboom.com A (Address) 64.74.96.244

aliboom.com SOA (Zone of Authority)

Primary NS: dns1.name-services.com

Responsible person: info[at]name-services.com

serial:2002050701

refresh:10001s (20 hours)

retry:1801s (300 minutes)

expire:604801s (70 days)

minimum-ttl:181s (30 minutes)

dns1.name-services.com A (Address) 63.251.163.102

dns2.name-services.com A (Address) 216.52.184.230

dns3.name-services.com A (Address) 63.251.83.36

dns4.name-services.com A (Address) 64.74.96.242

dns5.name-services.com A (Address) 212.118.243.118

Parsing input: terry <at> aliboom.com

216.154.195.44 is an mx ( 10 ) for aliboom.com

host 216.154.195.44 = blade3.cesmail.net. (cached)

Interesting. especially in that you didn't mention this little tidbit ....

21338[/snapback]

That was changed to blade3.cesmail.net last night, actually. Just to see what would happen if I sent it there.

Uh...wait a moment...the DNS does indeed contain an MX....it's:

mail.aliboom.com

You can verify that at:

However, the bad news is that "mail.aliboom.com" is refusing all incoming connections. And yes, as Wazoo mentioned:

mail.aliboom.com = 216.154.195.44 = blade3.cesmail.net

So...is this a mistake in your DNS or did you contract with "Corporate Email service" (the folks who host the SpamCop email accounts) to handle incoming mail for your domain?

DT

21347[/snapback]

OK, I'll accept the fact that my smtp server is rejecting incoming requests, but I don't understand how that really applies, as my mail is supposed to be forwarded to SpamCop, not to my machine --- once it makes it to SpamCop, I use fetchmail to retrieve it (or always have in the past). I'll send another email to the ehosts.com people to see if they can assist.

That blade3 was my error, a random test only a few hours old.

Your 4 MX records are:

20 eforward5.name-services.com. [TTL=3601] IP=212.118.243.116 [TTL=3601] [uK]

10 eforward4.name-services.com. [TTL=3601] IP=64.74.96.246 [TTL=3601] [uS]

IP=64.74.96.246 [TTL=3601] [uS]

WARNING: You have duplicate MX records. This means that mailservers may try delivering mail to the same IP more than once. Although technically valid, this is very confusing, and wastes resources. The duplicate MX records are:

eforward4.name-services.com. and eforward4.name-services.com. both resolve to 64.74.96.246.

eforward4.name-services.com. and eforward4.name-services.com. both resolve to 64.74.96.246.

On the other hand;

12/13/04 21:59:15 Slow traceroute 209.19.56.20

Trace 209.19.56.20 ...

208.174.226.74 RTT: 28ms TTL: 32 (new-edge-networks.ChicagoEquinix.savvis.net ok)

216.217.2.6 RTT: 27ms TTL: 32 (p1-3.border1.rap.ord.transedge.com bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

216.171.128.86 RTT: 55ms TTL: 32 (a5-1-108.border1.rap.dfw.transedge.com bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

216.217.3.26 RTT: 56ms TTL: 32 (f0-0.agg1.rap.dfw.transedge.com bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

64.233.2.18 RTT: 98ms TTL: 32 (18.2.233.64.transedge.com ok)

* * * failed

* * * failed

* * * failed

* * * failed

* * * failed

* * * failed

Your MX records are a MESS!

Your 5 MX records are:

20 eforward5.name-services.com. [TTL=3601] IP=205.205.205.205 [TTL=3601] []

10 eforward4.name-services.com. [TTL=3601] IP=64.74.96.246 [TTL=3601] []

IP=64.74.96.246 [TTL=3601] []

You'd better get someone who knows what they're doing to fix that...and the "experiment" where you pointed "mail.aliboom.com" to the SpamCop blade3 server was indeed a very BAD idea....it wasted our time and so I'm all done helping.

DT

Archived