Defnitly time for a FAQ Forum

Wazoo

Dang JeffG, those "as Merlyn said" posts are a real pain in this thing. It has to be now that you'll set up the FAQ area, start loading it up with these monsters. and start using the "pointers" .... Way too much scrolling around in here, especially when knowing that "we've" read it many times before, but the all too typical "I've looked everywhere and haven't seen it mentioned" person is definitely going to eat up disk space and chew up users if you have to keep re-posting these things.

Dang, then go back to the newsgroup and get to read it all again ... dang ... getting old already <g>

That's why I prefaced it. :)

As a rule, I NEVER put new info below boilerplate.

Sorry, I don't have the power to create a new forum, but I do like the idea.

Well, if JT won't run with the idea, the only alternative would be for you to go ahead and add in several Pinned items up there ... Why am I blocked, How do I ....., I was falsely accused, ..... on and on .. just a bit bad that it'd be the top of the page everytime into the forum ... but again, making it hard for the "I didn't see it anywhere" description ....

Well, if JT won't run with the idea, the only alternative would be for you to go ahead and add in several Pinned items up there ...  Why am I blocked, How do I ....., I was falsely accused, ..... on and on ..  just a bit bad that it'd be the top of the page everytime into the forum ... but again, making it hard for the "I didn't see it anywhere" description ....

In fact, my idea is to use the FAQ/Help system that's built into the BB. It's not a forum, but a regular help system of articles.

I'm thinking (hoping) that we'll be able to have volunteers who will put information into various parts of the Help system. It should be similar to the FAQ-o-Matic, but hopefully more people will be involved so that the answers are more plentiful and more up-to-date.

JT

In fact, my idea is to use the FAQ/Help system that's built into the BB. It's not a forum, but a regular help system of articles.

I'm thinking (hoping) that we'll be able to have volunteers who will put information into various parts of the Help system. It should be similar to the FAQ-o-Matic, but hopefully more people will be involved so that the answers are more plentiful and more up-to-date.

How would that work?

Thanks!

Well, if JT won't run with the idea, the only alternative would be for you to go ahead and add in several Pinned items up there ...  Why am I blocked, How do I ....., I was falsely accused, ..... on and on ..  just a bit bad that it'd be the top of the page everytime into the forum ... but again, making it hard for the "I didn't see it anywhere" description ....

JT

I'm on your side <g> ... However, I just answered a query by suggesting that the Help button be hit ... so here we go again .. what's obvious to one isn't clear at all to another ...

Historically, that FAQ maintained by volunteers hasn't been playing too well, though I know RW has a lot more on his plate that that. And though JeffG has been spending loads of time in here (and the NG's) ... suspect the poor guy's going to burn out quickly if this thing does get going. From appearnces, you've not been overwhelmed by the offers to get involved at that level <g>

For some reaason, I can't get the "ipb" button on Help to go dim. Been in and out of the Forum, nothing new showing in there, but .. refresh after refresh, but the ipb button still shows something is "new."

Only thing out of the ordinary appears to be the "Moved" item from announcements (which is whee it should have stayed, IMHO) about the "Deputies know ..." Maybe something about the "Moved" and then "Closed" has set something up so something else won't toggle?

And I should mention that you'd probably want to Pin something like this to keep it at the top, but of course, if done here, it'd get mixed in with the current scenario of where you're going to put the FAQ's. Haven't seen a response from JT about shoving them under Help, pointing out that I've already responded to one query by pointing out that the particular subject was already explained under Help.

I've run out of things to try, though admitting I'm a bit burned out at present. Most of the day spent with a 70+ grandma on her XP machine .. after her getting "trained" by a couple of daughters with their 98/ME experience .. of course, both of them baffled about why Mom's computer didn't act like their's, which of course had Mom going in circles .. I'm tired.

For some reaason, I can't get the "ipb" button on Help to go dim.  Been in and out of the Forum, nothing new showing in there, but .. refresh after refresh, but the ipb button still shows something is "new."

Only thing out of the ordinary appears to be the "Moved" item from announcements (which is whee it should have stayed, IMHO) about the "Deputies know ..."  Maybe something about the "Moved" and then "Closed" has set something up so something else won't toggle?

I've run out of things to try, though admitting I'm a bit burne out at present.  Most of the day spent with a 70+ grandma on her XP machine .. after her getting "trained" by a couple of daughters with their 98/ME experience .. of course, both of them baffled about why Mom's computer didn't act like their's, which of course had Mom going in circles .. I'm tired.

Try clicking on that round dark blue "ipb button". This will flag the whole Forum as read for you, and it should turn light blue / dimmed.

For some reaason, I can't get the "ipb" button on Help to go dim.  Been in and out of the Forum, nothing new showing in there, but .. refresh after refresh, but the ipb button still shows something is "new."

Try clicking on that round dark blue "ipb button". This will flag the whole Forum as read for you, and it should turn light blue / dimmed.

Haven't tried it yet, won't argue that it might even work. But the issue is that it's not toggling like the other have just this evening .. jump in read all new, travelled back to front page, hit Refresh, what once was bright went dim .. except for this one ,, thus I'm pointint what appears to be an issue.

Knocking the whole thing to "All Read" if it wasn't true just doesn't seem right. At present, probably not a big thing, as there's not that much to go through and look at (which I did do just to rule that out), but when (if) this thing takes off, not sure that snapping that switch would be the wanted course of action.

Again, I'm tired, but I think I said what I meant <g>

OK, back with an edit .. yes, as "we" suspected, it did take care of the Brite/Dim issue ... but I'm stoll wondering what locked that button Brite ...

I'm having the same problem with a round blue button staying bright even though I've read the Forum it's next to.

Well, can only repeat the instructions you offered me <g> ... cleared it .. came back, was Brite, your post showing as last .. went in , read them all ... here's something that I do recall from the first or second day of this thing ... when going back the Topic list, I do a Refresh ... which dims all the New Topics ... then back up once again to the front page, then do another Refresh .. toggle Brite to Dim as it should (again) .. so there was a sticky bit that "Marking as All Read" must have cleared, as it's running finr for me now.

IE 6 Sp1 all current patches .. Win98SE . if there's a connection / difference there

I'm having the same problem with a round blue button staying bright even though I've read the Forum it's next to.

It seems a little inconsistent and I'm not sure how much of it is the web server and how much the web browser.

If your web browser is caching that page, it may keep displaying the dark button. I've had success some times, but not all, with ctrl-refresh to really, really reload the page. I also have a web proxy between me and the web at the main places I read the board, so it's possible that the web proxy is caching.

Other times, I haven't been able to get it to go away doing that. I think in every case entering the forum again and backing back out and doing a ctrl-refresh has fixed it.

Also, there's a "mark everything as read" at the bottom of the page when you'll looking at a forum. Clicking that before you leave the forum might do the trick, I haven't tried it.

JT

It seems a little inconsistent and I'm not sure how much of it is the web server and how much the web browser.

Not that this is going to help anyone, but it seems to work fine for me. I've just gone through and caught up with some discussions, and the forums that I've read are dimmed.

Oh, and hi by the way. I'm, like, new here ;)

The change to spamcop (vice cesmail) happened. I hit link that worked yesterday, existing cookie was read, showed me as logged in. Had three Forums lit up with new content. Went into all three, nothing highlighted as new, even though looking into the htreads, there ws new content. Then noticed that at the top of the screen, I was "guest" ... back to the front page, showed me as logged in.

Came to this thread, tried to add this comment, was dis-allowed .. had to log in. (that's a good thing <g>)

So logged in, went back to the Front Page, nothing shows as new. The spamcop cookie and the cesmail cookie don't look alike, diffeences in data collted/tracked, or probably just that the spamcop.forum cookie isn't as fully populated yet?

Just another possibility in the Lit buttons not going Dim?

Here's what I think is going on.

It appears to me that if I go back to the list of topics and I see that all of the topics are unread, then when I go to the main page the button will be dim. If, instead, I jump from reading a topic straight back to the main page, the button will be dark.

My theory is that we each have a flag marking the topics we've read. That flag is set when we are looking at the list of topics. So, to make the outer buttons work correctly, when you're done reading a forum, you need to click a link to get back to the topic list for that forum before you switch to another forum or go back to the home page.

After reading this topic, for instance, I just clicked the SpamCop Help link at the top of the page. That showed me the list of topics and I could see that I'd read every one. Behind the scenes, I think that marked me as reading every one. Then, when I clicked the SpamCop Discussion link at the top, the button for SpamCop Help was dim just like it should be.

JT

Now here's a weird one. The "help" ipb button absolutly would not go dim until I physically went in and showed page two of those Topics that have now grown to multiple page views. Only after pulling up the Page 2's could I get the ipb "new" icon to go dim. But the issue with not going to Page 2 immediately was that the icon for that Forum wasn't "Brite", so not showing that there was new content. Confusing ....

Archived