Forwarding As Attachment in Outlook 2003

Gixter

I like to send my emails in for processessing by using the "forward as attachment" link in Outlook Express. I upgraded to Outlook 2003, and that option seems to be gone. I've searched the Outlook Help database as well as in this forum for "forward as attachment" and I haven't been able to find a solution. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. Thanks! :-)

**Edit by Gixter: Maybe should've posted in the SpamCop Email Setup Forum...? Sorry. Mods can move this if necessary. :unsure:

Please note that Outlook 2003 is included in the references to Outlook and OL below.

As Mike Easter would write:

Outlook, hereafter OL, is a completely *completely* different program

functionally than Outlook Express, hereafter OE. To make a long story

short, reporting spam with OE is very easy; reporting spam with OL is

not so easy. Some people actually use OE for reporting spam even tho'

they've started using OL for their 'normal' mail.

Go back to the beginning,

How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email?

Microsoft products Outlook users please note

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/122.html Outlook does not

properly forward mail with the headers and message body intact. It is

not possible to use SpamCop's email submission system with Outlook

unless you use one of the below add-on programs or similar macro.

SpamSource for Outlook 2000/XP by Chris Price. [and others]

also, if you use the webparser, you have to use an alternate 2 part page

seen below the normal 1 part webparser labeled: Select outlook/eudora

workaround form which I think should be above the one part form, not

below it.

• 1 month later...

Where did the links go for the Outlook add-ons suggested here?

The one I downloaded ended up asking for $20 after 30 days, so I'm canning it. Any references to free replacements would be much appreciated.

Where did the links go for the Outlook add-ons suggested here?

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/122.html still exists .. so not sure I know what you're asking.

The one I downloaded ended up asking for $20 after 30 days, so I'm canning it. Any references to free replacements would be much appreciated.

Seems to me that a fee / purchase price would have been disclosed long before the "DownLoad This" button would appear? But if you'vr already ran through that list, not sure what else to suggest. If you head over to the newsgroups, or spend some time going through other postings in these Forums, you'll see that there a number of other products out there that do different things, not all of them good, and certainly, not for free.

How about looking at things in retrospective ... Outlook Express was the "lightweight" 'personal' e-mail and news-reader provided 'free' with Internet Explorer. And you admit that it worked just fine. Outlook develoment was targeted as the Corporate heavyweight thing to handle all that inter-office correspondance and scheduling, which most would say it handles well.

Installation of Outlook did not remove the ability to continue to use Outlook Express (as a matter of fact Outlook uses Outlook Express to handle the news-reader chores) So if it's the ease of spam-reporting that's your desire, you could always fall back on using Outlook Express to handle your e-mail, and continue to use Outlook for your scheduling and calender like things .. just a thought.

To be honest with you, I don't use scheduling or anything else in Outlook. I only use it for email. But, aside from not having a "Forward As Attachment" feature to make spam reporting easy, I prefer Outlook 2003's interface to Outlook Express's. I used OE before because I hated Outlook before I saw the 2003 version. Jumping back and forth between the two would feel kinda silly to me...

It seems to me like just a scri_pt to forward the email as an attachment to an addy (and optionally deleting the original message) should not be $20 worth of program. Or really even $5. Combatting spam is supposed to be a noble cause. Those that profit that much from spam reporting are about on the same level with the spammers themselves; Both are gaining from the spammers' behavior.

I tried to follow a detailed instruction document someone wrote to install a macro to do it in Outlook, but it didn't work properly for me. I was hoping to go back and find the 3 or 4 suggested sources that JeffG had originally put in his reply post, but now they're gone and I'll basically have to start from scratch on finding something that'll work. :(

It seems to me like just a scri_pt to forward the email as an attachment to an addy (and optionally deleting the original message) should not be $20 worth of program. Or really even $5. Combatting spam is supposed to be a noble cause. Those that profit that much from spam reporting are about on the same level with the spammers themselves; Both are gaining from the spammers' behavior.

I know how you feel. To have to pay money in order to combat spam seems to me to be giving in to the spammers. I would not buy a content filter either.

OTOH, it is SOP to buy a virus scanner and firewall. And it does cost money to create and maintain the blocklists so paying for spamcop reporting is reasonable.

If you don't want to use OE and you can't find a free way to use Outlook, then you will have to find another way to be a good netizen. You could learn to read headers - most are not that difficult and report those that are simple manually. Just hitting delete at least does not get the spammer a sale. You could lobby your ISP to use blocklists (not necessarily spamcop's, but using open proxy lists will cut down on a lot of spam).

Miss Betsy

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the issue with Outlook is that it can be set-up in a few different ways. So even if one was to write a "process routine" that worked "here" .... it wouldn't work "there" .... Specifically, if Outlook is installed in "Internet" mode, then the issues are with the way it handles its "stores" .. which is where the two-part web page submittal form came from, a way to kind of dance around these specific issues.

However, if Outlook is installed in "Corporate" mode, then the Outlook issues are compounded by the configuration of the Exchange server it's talking to ... and that's a whole 'nother basket of worms, orcs, and issues all on its own.

So, the magic of coming up with an "Outlook solution" is really hampered by the lack of a "standard" installation, and that even in the most advantageous scenario, Outlook was not designed with a "show me the pure, raw, un-manipulated e-mail" function.

I was hoping to go back and find the 3 or 4 suggested sources that JeffG had originally put in his reply post, but now they're gone and I'll basically have to start from scratch on finding something that'll work. :(

I don't remember including any "suggested sources".

IMHO, Outlook (even the souped-up Outlook 2003) represents a step backwards in worldwide spam reduction, and should be avoided by spam reporters. Outlook Express 6, on the other hand, is serviceable if you don't actually view the suspect mail, but read its source instead.

I have been using Outlook XP and then Outlook 2003 to report spam to spamcop for well over a year now, and have not had any problems..

While I would like some free software that would allow me to right-click on a message to submit it as spam, what I have been doing to report spam instead is this:

1. with outlook open, and the spam message in the list in front of you, click the new button, to send a new email.

2. alt-tab, or click on the taskbar to bring the main outlook window back to the foreground

3. highlight the spam message(s) that you want to submit, and drag them (click and hold) to the new message window. This will make the spam emails attachments to your new email.

If you are like me, and have outlook maximized all the time, then while you are still holding down the mouse button, hold the mouse cursor over the new outlook message taskbar icon for half a second or so until it pops up into the foreground, then move the mouse cursor over the new message window & release the button.

4. once you have done this, simply type in the submission email address, and send the email.. No body or subject is needed in the email.

I have never had a problem submitting spam messages in this way, and Spamcop recognises all the header information (and parses the body of the message) without a problem..

• 2 weeks later...
As talented as I'm sure some of the SpamCop users are, I'm hoping one of them will crank out a freeware Outlook plugin. I wish I was a programmer, I'd certainly do it.  :(

I am a programmer. Your wish was also my wish, so, while it isn't a plugin, it is a macro, and you can create a button in Outlook to execute it.

It works well in Outlook 2000. I've not tried it with other versions.

All I did was modify Leon Mayne's version of Chris Price's SpamSource Outlook macro to send all the spam that you've highlighted in your Inbox to Spamcop, headers and all. My modifications eliminate the requirement that you to open the email before sending it, and will send more than one at a time.

You can find the macro source and instructions on my web site.

-Salty-

• 1 year later...

Hello!

There IS a way to do this!

Here it is.

Forward a Message as an Attachment with Outlook

Now, to forward a message (or more!) as an attachment in Outlook:

Select Tools | Options... from the menu.

Go to the Preferences tab.

Click E-mail Options....

Make sure Attach original message is selected under When forwarding a message.

Click OK.

Click OK again.

Highlight any messages you want to forward.

Click Forward.

Address and send the email with the original messages attached, adding comments in the email body.

Hope this helps!!

Archived