Checking Held Mail with email client?

cats

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=87

17. Click the "Yes" button to answer the question "Would you like to

download folders from the mail server you added?". This will bring up

the "Show/Hide IMAP Folders" Dialog Box.

18. Show or Hide Folders, as appropriate. On the default "All" Tab, the

Shown Folders have icons next to them. Click the "OK" Button when you are

finished.

19. In the OE Folder List, down at the bottom, click the "+" sign to open

the Mail Server you just configured if it is not already open.

20. Click whichever Folder (like Inbox or Held Mail) you wish to access.

Messages in that Folder should show up in the Messages Pane (where you

normally see email messages).

These setup instructions don't work?

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=87

These setup instructions don't work?

Thanks for pointing out the procedures for IMAP. I don't use OE. I use Mailsmith on a Mac and Iambic Mail on a PDA. Iambic supports IMAP (Mailsmith does not) but I don't see the equavilent commands as available in OE. I also tried setting up Mac Mail which supports IMAP but, again, no folders shown, it downloads the INBOX contents.

In any case, I simply want to monitor the contents of the Held Mail folder as I can do with Mailsmith and POP accounts, not download the folder. Can that be done? Are there any "IMAP monitors" such as Mailsmith's "POP monitor?"

On imap.spamcop.net, all of the other Folders are nested within the INBOX Folder.  Have you tried looking there?

I don't understand. There are no folders shown in either the setup or when the contents are downloaded. I'm not familiar with IMAP but from my end it looks just like a POP account. Perhaps I could add a folder to the server name field, if I knew what it was called?

Even then, I assume that all the messages would be downloaded which is not what I want. I just need to look at the contents of the folder (subject, sender, size, date) and a monitor is an easier way to do this than <www.spamcop.net> or <webmail.spamcop.net>.

Please consult the documentation or tech support options for Iambic Mail and Mac Mail to determine how to set up the IMAP account using those programs. Sorry, I don't use those programs.

On imap.spamcop.net, all of the other Folders are nested within the INBOX Folder.  Have you tried looking there?

I don't understand. There are no folders shown in either the setup or when the contents are downloaded. I'm not familiar with IMAP but from my end it looks just like a POP account. Perhaps I could add a folder to the server name field, if I knew what it was called?

Even then, I assume that all the messages would be downloaded which is not what I want. I just need to look at the contents of the folder (subject, sender, size, date) and a monitor is an easier way to do this than <www.spamcop.net> or <webmail.spamcop.net>.

Cats,

OK, I assume you're actually using IMAP and not POP. With IMAP, you won't have to download the messages. You can just monitor what's going on, just like you want.

If your IMAP program won't show you any folders, there's two things to try. I don't have any idea how to do this in your IMAP program. Most programs do this automatically, but some have to be set up manually.

The first is to see if there is something called a "Folder Prefix" or something like that that you can set up. If there is, try "INBOX.". Note that it's capital letters and ends in a period.

The second has to do with folder subscriptions. Tell you IMAP program to show you all folders, whether or not they are subscribed. Or look and see how you can subscribe to folders. If it thinks you aren't subscribed to the other folders, and it is showing only subscribed folders, then it will never show you the others, including the Held Mail.

Sorry this is all kind of arcane. Most IMAP programs just get this right, right out of the box.

JT

There is a setup field, "IMAP Prefix," that cautions: "Check with your system administrator before changing any of the advanced options below."

I tried "INBOX." in the field and the folders "Held Mail" and "Trash" appear. But when I click on either folder it says: "A server error occured: IMAP command "SELECT" failed with status: Mailbox does not exist, or must be subscribed to."

Other related fields are "Port," currently set for 143; "SSL" which is not checked; and "Authentication" which is set to Password.

The documentation for the mail apps is not much help.

the "must be subscribed to" is the key ... though the key may wear a different label ... OE's response here would be a message "do you want to download these ..." You may be looking for a word like "sync" .... somehoe, you're trying to get the contents of the folder on your computer to match what's on the spamcop server ... hope there's some help in this ..

Archived