[Resolved] Date/Time Stamp Posts & PM's

rooster

Forum Folk;

I exchange counter-spam information with another member on a daily basis using SC PM service. Integrating (copying) some of contents into my personal files makes it easier to organize and develop the information. I also find a number of posts in the Discussion forums handy to have in my personal files.

With reference to Invision's Date & Time designations, e.g.: "Today [at] 3:30 pm" or "Yesterday [at] 3:30 p.m.", copied and filed posts and messages require manual date-timing. Reading a 2 week old message temporized with; "Yesterday [at] 3:30 p.m." is not very practical nor useful if the information happens to be time sensitve or if it needs to be set chronologically; such as when reporting a spate of offenses to a Registrar or an ISP.

From a business POV, I think most people would appreciate the novelty of presenting a bank cashier with a checque signed by; "Me", made out to; "You", and dated; "Yesterday"; a situation that could be made positively quaint if you wore camoflage and sunglasses when you tried it. On the other hand, If Invision could contract with my Credit Card Company to show all my charges to have been incurred, "Today", I would effectively have a perpetual line of credit that never maxed out and never became, "Past Due".

I wonder if there is a practical convenience afforded to other members in using the, "Today/Yesterday" convention which I am failing to appreciate.

Happy trails,

rooster

...Odd -- I've never had this problem. All messages I see in these fora that reference "Today" really do really seem to be from today; all those that reference "Yesterday" really do seem to be from yesterday; those that yesterday referenced "Yesterday" are today referencing Apr 17, 2005. :) <g>

Hi Steve;

<snip>

"All messages I see in these fora that reference "Today" really do really seem to be from today;.." <snip>

Indeed; and if I copy them to my Doc's today and file them, 6 weeks from now the item will still read the same, "Today" even tho the "Today" I happen to be reading it, isn't the same, "Today" as when I copied it; it isn't even "Yesterday". Unless I wait exactly 12 months, "Today" will not be today, but some other day which is now lost to historians, archivists and biographers for ever .....

I am writing this tomorrow, just so I don't get confused.

rooster

rooster I see your point.

when you daily extract entries for reference, a weeks worth of messages are all dated "today [at] ..." without some effort. a real date, 05-04-19, could be used as a sort field or just to keep "today" (monday) seperate from "today" (Friday).

Although I am only dealing with 20-30 spam daily (not asking for more!<g>), I still haven't figured out what to do with it except just raw counts and reporting.

Hi, rooster,

...Yeah, I knew that's what you meant. :) <g>

...Would storing a link to the message, rather than the message itself, resolve the problem but still serve your purposes? Note: the link is accessible by clicking the number next to the word "Post" in the upper-right hand corner of each message.

Hi Lking;

The inconvenience I am experiencing is primarily with the "Personal Messages" utility rather than with spam Report or Recent Reports Service pages.

Often, a communique I get refers to a matter germane to something discussed some days/weeks earlier. If I simply copy all or part of the messages without re-stamping them myself, all of them read "Today" or "Yesterday". The sequence in which they appear in the file and the actual chronology do not conform. There is no actual date inscribed on the page, you see; unless I wait 3 days before copying it.

My question is; is the indefinite "Today/Yesterday" convention more serviceable than the definite convention used in business, publishing and keeping track of ones' anniversary; if you know what's good for you.

rooster

I understood. I was just using my spam count as a measure of the amount of "counter-spam information" I have to file <g>, limited, yet empathizing with your plite.

I too celebrated anniversaries on the today/yesterday schedual, mostly yesterday --- That may explain why I have been married 3 times <g>.

Hi, rooster,

...Yeah, I knew that's what you meant.  :) <g>

...Would storing a link to the message, rather than the message itself, resolve the problem but still serve your purposes?  Note: the link is accessible by clicking the number next to the word "Post" in the upper-right hand corner of each message.

26648[/snapback]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi again;

That might work; although it would be tricky..... like carrying on a correspondence file that used only Bible or such references you had to look up to see what was going on. e.g.

Hey Charlie;

Ex 23:5, Pr 13:20, Zec 5:1-5, Lu 20:26

Regards,

Fred

Howdy Fred;

's'up?

Have you seen Dan 2:31-32? And what about Section 36, s.s 21, para 3 of "The Boilers and Pressurevessels Act": "Revised Statutes of British Columbia",1999? That will probably affect the people at 555-3621, eh?

Ta,

Charlie

... I ..... don't think so.

I ran into the same bit when trying to manufacture some "Quote=poster name" lines when constructing my own replies to some (like only sucking one line out of a 300 line post) ... and the only answer I can offer at this point is that the only code I can manipulate here is basically the scripting of some of the displayed screens ... for instance the code in question here is as foloows;

&lt;!-- POSTED DATE DIV --&gt;
 	 &lt;div style="float: left;"&gt;
    &lt;span class="postdetails"&gt;{$post['post_icon']} &lt;img src='{ipb.vars['img_url']}/to_post_off.gif' alt='post' border='0' style='padding-bottom:2px' /&gt; {$post['post_date']}&lt;/span&gt;
 	 &lt;/div&gt;

But there is obviously one of the application files (that only JT can access) that converts the 'post_date' data into the actual date, yesterday, or today text .... I'm sure it was done to give folks that great feeling that (recent) activity is happening, and could make the easy assumption that there's just a few lines of code doing the date comparioson that might be removed to leave the display showing the actual date/time stamp, but .....

On the other hand, Matt has made a bit of a commitment over in the IPB Forum that the next version of this application should be released before June, so there may be some more 'interesting' things happening shortly <g>

Hello again;

Sorry about being so long getting back; I lost track of what day it was. I promised to do something today, and I had to be reminded that when *she* says "today", it is not open to extemporaneous speculation.

Steve:

",,,when you needed the real date, you could go get it from the actual message..."

The SC Personal Messages Utility is different from the Discussions Forum; it works just like an email inbox. It also, and wisely so, has a limit to the numer of missives it holds at a given time. I exchange spammer specific and potentially sensitive info here in addition to some chatty homiletics, neither of which would not be appropriate on an open forum. Some of the targets/subjects of the correspondences might react with some unpleasantness if they knew who was plotting mischief against them. Anyone using the "mole" reporting convention will undoubtedly understand the advantages of playing some of our cards close to the chest; especially for those of us who really aren't sure what we a doing in the first place and are loathe to publish our ignorance more often than absolutely necessaray.

I want to say, that I appreciate this PM service offered by SC very much. Keeping the number of PM's stored on SC's server to a modest number seems more than fair to me. The point being, I copy and delete the messages as soon as I get them, so getting the dates from the actual message, as you suggest, is not an option. I have already captured the original message; and it has "Yesterday"on it for all eternity... or my next crash, whichever comes first. I hope it isn't "Today".

WAZOO;

Thanks for your reply. I understand as much about systems and programs as I do about women. One thing that is consistent with both, in my experience anyway, is that if you try to modify them, you better have a good supply of ointment to put on the scratches *before* you embark on what is surely going to be an adventure with life-changing consequences; yours.

The, "Today/Yesterday" convention is an agreeable one for the Discussions Forum, generally; from a subscribers POV at least, for folks that 'come a'visitin' from time to time to keep informed and post the occasional query. But, as you want us to understand, for those who 'live here' and need to frequently access and manipulate material, the indefinite time designation can result in a definite waste of that same commodity, not to mention the confusion we can cause ourselves. Some of us, unlike you of course, whose STM only extends to a couple of Planck units, on good days, need all the artificial help we can get to keep things straight.

I think what I might be hoping for, considering my peculiar needs and having given the matter some more thought, is for Invision to make the definite time/date convetion apply to the Personal Messages Board, and leave the Discussions time/date convention unmolested. Whereas your broader needs would seem to be better met if the definite time/date convention applied consistently 'across the board'. (NPI)

Is that about it?

rod

I think what I might be hoping for, considering my peculiar needs and having given the matter some more thought, is for Invision to make the definite time/date convetion apply to the Personal  Messages Board, and leave the Discussions time/date convention unmolested. Whereas your broader needs would seem to be better met if the definite time/date convention applied consistently 'across the board'. (NPI)

Is that about it?

26664[/snapback]

What might be the best answer all around is to have an expanded date for every date code: Yesterday, April 19, 2005 or Friday, April 15, 2005 but I agree that the place for it is the IPB forum.

"What might be the best answer all around is to have an expanded date for every date code: Yesterday, April 19, 2005 or Friday, April 15, 2005 but I agree that the place for it is the IPB forum."

Steve U.;

I would be happy with this compromise. Bear in mind, tho, *my* file copies will still be prefixed with the redundant, "Today/Yesterday" designation.

rod

"What might be the best answer all around is to have an expanded date for every date code: Yesterday, April 19, 2005 or Friday, April 15, 2005 but I agree that the place for it is the IPB forum."

Steve U.;

I would be happy with this compromise. Bear in mind, tho, *my* file copies will still be prefixed with the redundant, "Today/Yesterday" designation.

rod

It also occurs to me that Invision's programmers shall need to cobble their wares in such a way that these Today => Yesterday prefixes have to be invoked, changed then deleted over 3 days. For why?

These prefixes also have questionable signifigance to old pharts like me when at the computer during the wee hours of the morning. The line between yesterday and today is rather blurry.

If it weren't for having been psychologically damaged by salvos of "Depends" commercials over the last 5 years, I probably wouldn't wake up at these odd hours, vibrating in fear of the onset of mid-life bedwetting, which bladder control issue, June Allison has me convinced is inevitable.

rod

<snip>

Steve:

",,,when you needed the real date, you could go get it from the actual message..."

<snip>The point being, I copy and delete the messages as soon as I get them, so getting the dates from the actual message, as you suggest, is not an option. I have already captured the original message; and it has "Yesterday"on it for all eternity... or my next crash, whichever comes first. I hope it isn't "Today".

<snip>

26664[/snapback]

...Could you store the link with your copy of the message, access it to copy in the real date when you need it, then delete the link in your copy?

...Could you store the link with your copy of the message, access it to copy in the real date when you need it, then delete the link in your copy?

26684[/snapback]

Steve:

..... with the clicking and the copying and the linking and the accessing and the deleting.... already! By the time I did all that, "Today" would be "Yesterday"... and "Yesterday" would be the "Day After That" and the Date/Time would be the definite one; anyway. Perhaps its just my inexperience speaking, but simply typing the Date/Time on my file copy, or even using I/E Menu Item, "Insert" => "Date Time" would settle *my* hash, if maybe not our beloved Administrators'; or not?

Besides; maybe it was inspired by my making references to Bible addresses earlier in this thread, but last nite I had an dream. And lo, a vision appeared dressed in glowing raiment and holding a couple of keyboards, sort of Moses like with the Tablets. Anyway, in a voice that had an unsettling resemblance to Danny Devito's, the apparition said;

"Hey... You!... Listen up. This Date/Time thing you got goin' on with Spamcop is gettin' out'a hand. Tell you what you do: take a couple of he goats and make an alter out of gopher wood ...... no, wait; that was for something else (here he checked the back of one of the Tablets for his 'Cheat Sheet').... here it is: (he began reading)... lay thine left hand upon your monitor, and with thine right forefinger type the words; "Color Code today's date Red, Color Code yesterday's Date Blue, rinse and fade to Black forever and ever, Amen". "Simple."

"Is that all?", I asked; all aquivver..

"Well, with anybody else I probably wouldn't have to say this, but you might want to hit ,"Send", or something."

"But will anybody listen ?" I asked.

"Did they listen to Moses?"; quoth the vision.

"In other words, "don't expect miracles", eh?"

"I'm not allowed to answer that question, but its time for you to rise from your pallet and hie thy foot unto the loo, and be sure to lift the lid; this time."; he said.

"But I'm still sleepy." I protested.

"Remember June Allison?" he warned.

"I'm awake, I'm awake ... I just knew you were going to say that... somehow." I said as I fumbled out of the sack.

"So now your a prophet already; eh? In your dreams."

Oh well; it was worth a shot.

rooster

<snip>

Besides; maybe it was inspired by my making references to Bible addresses earlier in this thread, but last nite I had an dream. And lo, a vision appeared dressed in glowing raiment and holding a couple of keyboards, sort of Moses like with the Tablets. Anyway, in a voice that had an unsettling resemblance to Danny Devito's, the apparition said;

<snip>

26700[/snapback]

...ROTFLMAO! If we had a post of the month award, I would lobby hard for this one to be so designated! :D <big g>

• 2 weeks later...

rooster ... not sure if it's accessible to you or not, but http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=168416 (under Invision Power Board Feature Suggestions) contains the following;

Discussion at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3972

Use the PM for a running dialog, but the "Date" showing "Today" or "Yesterday" means gyrations involved with keeping track (fistorically) of this data.  As the typical configuration icludes an e-mail notification of a new PM, logging in gets you the pop-up notification of a new PM, the "number of unread" counter does change with a new PM, is the "Today/Yesterday" convention needed in the PM display (assume the issue is that same codebase is used to display both PM and Forum data, but ...????)  User probably explains it better;

I exchange counter-spam information with another member on a daily basis using SC PM service. Integrating (copying) some of contents into my personal files makes it easier to organize and develop the information. I also find a number of posts in the Discussion forums handy to have in my personal files.

With reference to Invision's Date & Time designations, e.g.: "Today [at] 3:30 pm" or "Yesterday [at] 3:30 p.m.", copied and filed posts and messages require manual date-timing. Reading a 2 week old message temporized with; "Yesterday [at] 3:30 p.m." is not very practical nor useful if the information happens to be time sensitve or if it needs to be set chronologically; such as when reporting a spate of offenses to a Registrar or an ISP.

From a business POV, I think most people would appreciate the novelty of presenting a bank cashier with a checque signed by; "Me", made out to; "You", and dated; "Yesterday"; a situation that could be made positively quaint if you wore camoflage and sunglasses when you tried it. On the other hand, If Invision could contract with my Credit Card Company to show all my charges to have been incurred, "Today", I would effectively have a perpetual line of credit that never maxed out and never became, "Past Due".

• 2 weeks later...

Per a posting today by Matt (the Julian of the IPB applications) .. the next release (real soon now <g>) of this app will include:

You also have three settings for the relative date and time:

Off = Normal date is shown: Tuesday 10th May 14:40

On (Today, Yesterday) = Today, 14:40

On (Last x minutes, Today & Yesterday) = 10 minutes ago

On ( Full relative ) = 2 hours ago (etc)

Not sure about his math, but .... I carried your query/suggestion over there and it's now incorporated! Just hold your breath a little bit longer!

[Per a posting today by Matt (the Julian of the IPB applications) .. the next release (real soon now <g>) of this app will include:

<snip>

You also have three settings for the relative date and time:

Off = Normal date is shown: Tuesday 10th May 14:40

<snip>

...works for me; although I was thinking the 'tri-couleur' motife would add a little caché.

Happy trails,

[...works for me; although I was thinking the 'tri-couleur' motife would add a little caché.

Gads, please don't go there. The "editor" has a WYSIWYG module built in (works for most browsers) that unfortunately allows for users to 'dress up' their posts .. some to the point of not being legible with some insane selection of background and text colors, some outrageous font, etc. ... maybe 'kewl' for some areas, but where "we" have a hard enough time just handling the description/parsing of specific issues, this "fun" stuff could sure cause more problems ... (read that as "option will more than likely be turned off here" <g>)

• 3 weeks later...

Wazoo;

I've been preoccupied upgrading my 'wetware' to a new (pre-owned) computer. I got it via eBay and the trout who sold it didn't remove any of his files and peculiar programmes and apps .... how am I supposed to know what is supposed to be there, and useful, and what is velgacarp?

Accolades; of course! And huzzahs.

rod

p.s. Heaven forfend tampering with the WYSIWYG. My wife had one once and the cat hid under the bed for a week.

Archived