Why is SpamCop on MY domain?

amcswebs

I am the owner and operator of the domain amcswebs.com. Can you explain why one of my clients (sending from a zwallet.com address) are having their emails bounced by a system that should not be even monitoring my domain?

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the host itself as they are being paid for this space and would NOT have the legal authority to put email blocks on my domain.

I know I don't want the service as I will choose who I wish to block.

This is the error message my client received...

<xxxxxxx[at]amcswebs.com>:

64.91.240.133 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 550-rejected because the sending host 216.66.64.4 is in a black list at

550-bl.spamcop.net

550 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?216.66.64.4

Giving up on 64.91.240.133.

I want to know HOW to make sure this system never again blocks an email from my domain. Can someone help?

Glen,

Owner, AMCS Web Services

If you read the pinned FAQ on "Why is my email blocked", it explains in more detail how and why.

However, Spamcop does not block email. spamcop publishes a blocklist that is used by ISP's to block email. The blocklist is automated so that when spam is detected (thru report) as coming from a particular IP address, it is added to the blocklist. When spam stops coming from that IP address, it drops off the blocklist within 48 hours.

In order for someone to help you in finding out why the IP address you are sending email from has been blocked, you will need to provide the IP address. If you know how to block emails, you might get more expert advice in the spamcop newsgroup.

Miss Betsy

I want to know HOW to make sure this system never again blocks an email from my domain.

The simple answer is to stop the spam coming from that server.

SpamCop is not there to protect the senders of messages, but to protect the receivers from messages (directly or indirectly through their ISP) sent by servers which have been reported as recently sending a higher than expected percentage of unauthorized messages (spam). It is "interfering" at the request of someone authorized to receive the messages in question. liguidweb.com is protecting their users from junk mail.

The evidence for this IP address (qmail1.zwallet.com)

can be found at: http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&ip=216.66.64.4

216.66.64.4 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported about 1450 times by about 920 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at least 116.7 days. In the past 583.9 days, it has been listed 57 times for a total of 242.3 days

In the past week, this system has:

Been reported as a source of spam about 20 times

Been witnessed sending mail about 380 times

Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports:

This evidence file also contains 44 samples of messages that people did not authorize to receive. These are dated from November 10, 2003 through February 20, 2004 (yesterday).

Reguardless of yourbuddy's opinion, this seems to be a case where there are lots of messages being sent to people who don't want it and are reporting that fact. I have never seen an evidence file with more than 5-10 samples. The evidence yourbuddy is speaking of are reports from users around the world of messages they received that they did not request.

This is all VERY interesting... The email that was blocked however was being sent to a [at]amcswebs.com address (NOT LIQUID WEB) and was sent from a client of amcswebs.

In other words... There was NO spam (nor has their ever been) to any [at]amcswebs.com address from that address... NOR was spamcop EVER given any kind of authorization to screen ANY emails that are being Directed to email address within the amcswebs.com domain.

This makes Spamcop a company that is illegally stopping business mail from reaching a BUSINESS domain, without any kind of permission at all. Sounds kind of wrong doesn't it? You figure that SpamCop is going to be willing to pay the business for income lost because they filtered business emails without any kind of permission???

Might make a very interesting law suite don't you think?

The email that was blocked however was being sent to a [at]amcswebs.com address (NOT LIQUID WEB) and was sent from a client of amcswebs.

From the MX records:

> set type=mx

> amcswebs.com

Server: ns1.ma.charter.com

Address: 66.189.0.29

amcswebs.com MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = amcswebs.com

amcswebs.com nameserver = ns1.liquidweb.com

amcswebs.com nameserver = ns.liquidweb.com

amcswebs.com internet address = 64.91.240.133

ns1.liquidweb.com internet address = 64.91.251.155

ns.liquidweb.com internet address = 198.172.239.20

>

Mail to amcswebs.com is handled by 64.91.240.133 (koala.liquidweb.com). Liquidweb is the party using the blocklist. They are the ones you have the complaint with.

The receiving host 64.91.240.133 (koala.liquidweb.com) is blocking the sending host 216.66.64.4 (qmail1.zwallet.com) because it is on the blacklist.

The email that was blocked however was being sent to a [at]amcswebs.com address (NOT LIQUID WEB) and was sent from a client of amcswebs.

Then whoever provides the mail service for amcsweb.com is the one who did the blocking. As Miss Betsy said earlier, Spamcop does not block mail. They provide a list of spam sources that mail service providers can use to block mail. If you'll follow the link that Steven Underwood gave to you then you'll see that the ip address in question is a significant source of spam. If you have any connections with the owners of that address, then perhaps you can help us get the security problems fixed.

This makes Spamcop a company that is illegally stopping business mail from reaching a BUSINESS domain, without any kind of permission at all.

Again, Spamcop doesn't block mail. They identify spam sources and ISP's are free to use or not use the Spamcop list. There is nothing at all illegal about that.

Might make a very interesting law suite don't you think?

Interesting in the "lawsuit brought for something that isn't illegal" way, yes.

"Cartooney n. Term for legal threat sent in the hope of scaring the recipient. Derives from 'Cartoon Attorney'. A Cartooney generally contains promises of legal action under irrelevant or non-existent laws, and is often written by one who has not consulted a proper lawyer and has little intention of ever doing so as generally the Cartooney sender is on the wrong side of the law to begin with."

Archived