Question about Login problems?

Hi guys. I've been having problems with my login to the http://webmail.spamcop.net/ location. jodimuse[at]cqmail.net . For some reason, it takes about 3 or 4 times for me to be allowed in even though I *know* I'm typing in all the right stuff (ie: login email and password). I know this because I don't change a thing in all the times I try, and eventually, the system does let me in. This has been happening for over a week now though and it's driving me nuts. The system also has a tendency to log me out if there's inactivity for a really short period of time - which is also extremely annoying.

Any ideas what's going on? I've been having problems emptying my held mail folder too. (Though I think that has to do with how many messages are in there - too many, and there's a problem with the system unable to handle it? I don't know...)

Any help here would be much appreciated.

All the best,

--Jodi

Jeff, I don't use IMAP. I use your webmail directly. I download from the Inbox with POP when I've cleared out what doesn't need to be there online first.

I do try to delete what's in my Held Mail folder every couple of days, but I get a LOT of spam (I have a fairly popular website that's been around for a long time and 800 emails of spam isn't uncommon in a day - hence, my need for your service).

It's using your webmail system that I've been having problems with.

Any ideas what's happening - especially with the login to your webmail?

Thanks.

--Jodi

It's not my Webmail Server, it's JT's. I'm just a volunteer here. JT is certainly aware of the timeout issues between the IMP Webmail Server and the IMAP Server when thousands of emails are in a Folder which a Customer tries to access. Checking your Held Mail more often and bypassing any proxies you are using would probably help.

Hi Jeff. I do intend to check my held mail more often, yes. Thanks.

However, I'm still having regular login problems (to the webmail when trying to access it from a browser) and log OUT problems (being logged out after very short periods of time) that began about a week ago.

Has anyone else reported any such problems? And if so, can you let me know what was done about it?

If nothing has been done about it, could someone check my account in case there's actually something wrong? Or should I be writing to someone else about this? I'll be happy to do so if there's a more appropriate place. I actually did write an email to the SpamCop folks about this a few days ago but haven't yet received any reply. I think it might have gotten lost though since it likely went into their "general" folder.

Thanks for your help.

--Jodi

P.S. - When I said "your" webmail server, I meant "your" in the general sense. As in "SpamCop's webmail server". I realize you may be volunteering your time and I'm not trying to get on your personal case about something. I'm just trying to get a problem solved. Thanks.

Hi guys.  I've been having problems with my login to the http://webmail.spamcop.net/ location.  jodimuse[at]cqmail.net .  For some reason, it takes about 3 or 4 times for me to be allowed in even though I *know* I'm typing in all the right stuff (ie: login email and password).  I know this because I don't change a thing in all the times I try, and eventually, the system does let me in.  This has been happening for over a week now though and it's driving me nuts.  The system also has a tendency to log me out if there's inactivity for a really short period of time - which is also extremely annoying.

Any ideas what's going on?  I've been having problems emptying my held mail folder too.  (Though I think that has to do with how many messages are in there - too many, and there's a problem with the system unable to handle it?  I don't know...)

Any help here would be much appreciated.

All the best,

--Jodi

Jodi,

The problem with logging in is that you have 37,000 messages in your trash folder. Here's what happens. Every time you login, the IMAP server goes through your trash and deletes everything older than 20 days. However, with that many messages in your trash, it takes a while to go through all of them and the IMAP server doesn't let anything else happen in the meantime. The webmail system thinks that the login failed, when it's really just taking a long time.

Now, we made some changes a couple months ago that really improved this. Before, you would have been locked out entirely. Now, you have to login several times. Actually, you could probably wait 3 or 4 minutes and the second login would work every time.

That's not a very good answer, though. You don't want to have to fool with that at all.

There are several things you can do in webmail to help.

• In the webmail options, you can turn off moving deleted messages to the trash. When you delete them, they're just gone.
  • You can also tell webmail to delete messages from the trash more than, say, 3 days old. That will keep it more manageable.
  • You can try to remember to empty the trash yourself each time you're done with webmail. There's an icon for that.

I'm in the process of emptying your trash, so it should work better for you from here on out.

JT

Hi JT. I really appreciate your help with this - and I am seeing a huge improvement at this point.

Here's the thing though - I DO go and delete messages from my trash every time I empty my Held Mail folder. I hit the Empty Trash link every time. And when I went to the trash folder, it wasn't showing me any messages at all. I don't know why THAT would be happening... But that's the reason why I wasn't deleting anything. I thought it was all already deleted as it wasn't showing up when I tried to look at the folder.

Odd...

Sorry about that.

Thanks for your help!

All the best,

--Jodi

Looks like I am having the same problem, though my issue seems to be that there are about 64,000+ spams in my "Held Mail" folder. Since I can't find any way to successfully empty this folder, and can't change the length of time it holds spams, I can't log in to clear it out.

Any way to get this cleared out so I can get on to a daily schedule of checking it? Thanks!

...are you saying that none of JT's instructions are available or working for you?

The suggestions I saw above were for messages that were in the trash. Mine are in held mail so they don't really apply. Are there some others somewhere I could try?

...are you saying that none of JT's instructions are available or working for you?

The suggestions I saw above were for messages that were in the trash. Mine are in held mail so they don't really apply. Are there some others somewhere I could try?

Held Mail messages go away after 14 days and a login. If you can't delete them from Webmail, your only options are IMAP and JT's intervention. You can ask JT to intervene by emailing him at "support at spamcop.net".

• 8 months later...

No other complaints known at this time, so looking at your description, I am so reminded of others in the past that ran into issues when their "collected works" got way out out of hand ... read that as thousands upon thousands of e-mails in those folders. Not mentioned is whether you took a look at the FAQ so will ask .. have you looked at any of those items, tried any of the suggested work-arounds, tried a different connection (IMAP for instance) .. any idea if this "too many e-mails" may be a possibility at all?

Specifically, look at the item titled "WebMail Login problems & General Slowness, First things to check" in the FAQ here.

Or perhaps others will be along shortly to hep establish your suggestion that a SpamCop server is hosed ..????

Strange that this hasn't come up in such a long time, I was of the belief that the new servers and some tweaks had this issue "gone" .. but again, only a guess based on no other complaints.

Bringing this back to the Forum area for the benifit of others with this issue. I'm a bit confused at present but maybe someone else can come up with the right words? Is there a mode that this place can be entered without seeing the Pinned entries above the Topic list?

Hi Wzoo:

Thanks for your fast reply !

The problem I had was locating the FAQ that you mentioned.  Can you please supply the URL?

As a marketing communications person I can tell you that if this overloading of the mailboxes is a chronic issue, you MUST include a warning in a confirmation of service email.

Not being able to access one's emails is a very serious issue - SpamCop Webmail needs to send a warning to every subscriber no matter what level of computer expertise!

I've emailed JT for his assistance and hope for a quick resolution.

Warmly,

Bill

Is there any way to ask JT to clear my Held and Trash boxes out so I can start fresh?

I'm going to ask you for a bit of hrlp. The FAQ entry I offered has a line at the top referencing the Toic that it was "extracted" from, and hitting that link takes one to the Top of that discussion. In that discussion, JT's contact address is mentioned at least twice. I had recenrlt added another FAQ entry, up at the top of that FQ list titled: "How can I contact a SpamCop representative?"

What I'm shooting for here is what else do I need to do to make this "answer" more accessible, without going to the flashing red neon right up front? There exists another discussion that includes JT's complaints that people already e-mail the heck out of him on subjects that aren't his.

Anyway, to holler at JT, service <at> spamcop.net is the address.

Secondly, I have since mergerd your query and the Topic started by someone else into the same discussion the FAQ points to, thus bringing that whole discussion back into the "last 30 days" window ..... see all this stuff now at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=416

As a marketing communications person I can tell you that if this overloading of the mailboxes is a chronic issue, you MUST include a warning in a confirmation of service email.

As said earlier, I was under the impression that this issue had been essentially resolved, not having seen complaints on it in such a long time.

Not being able to access one's emails is a very serious issue - SpamCop Webmail needs to send a warning to every subscriber no matter what level of computer expertise!

Though appreciating your circumstance, that this problem has only hit so few of the users, not sure that JT would see that as a requirement .. (thinking back that when I queried what was in a "Welcome to SpamCop E-Mail system" letter, he'd replied that a Welcome letter sounded like a good idea .... does one exist yet?)

On the other hand, it was such an issue at one time, it earned itself as a Pinned item way back when that was then incorporated into this version of the FAQ (partially driven by the fact that there were too many Pinned items) [are you now suggesting that there are still too many and thusly the FAQ pointer is not as visible as it should be?]

Will you please consider adding another screen to be shown after login and before anything else with information about these maintenance operations? For example a message like "Scanning folders with 893,404 messages" would be far more helpful than just "log in again", because presumably that number would be different each time. And in the case of users with very few messages I guess this screen would only be there for a fraction of second.

Maybe this isn't a standard part of Horde. But it should be IMHO.

Thanks for listening.

chris...

I'd spent a few hours a number of days ago trying to research some other issues with user complaints and the IMP/Horde thing and I can say that I don't recall your suggestion being in any of the support documentation, FAQs, etc. (not saying to read everything available) If you want to try to push this a bit further, you'd probably want to drop this into the Horde Forums directly.

Archived