[Resolved] Newsgroups access using forum menu bar

dbiel

This is being posted for the benifit of others as I was able to fix the problem.

Users who have never used newsgroups are not affected.

The problem may or may not apply to other systems.

I am running Outlook Express 5 and had two newsgroups setup prior to the change being made to the menu bar.

When I clicked on the Newsgroup menu item it opened outlook express (as it should)

When I clicked on "Newsgroups" the "all" tab only displayed the groups that I was subscribed to.

By deleteing my original news groups and repeating the process then all of the available newgroups was displayed.

Then I resubscribed to the groups I wanted.

After addtional testing, the all tab continues to display all the available groups.

This can also be accomplished in OE6 by clicking "news.spamcop.net" (or your name for it) in the Folders Pane, the "Newsgroups..." Button, and the "Reset List" Button.

Why are you still using OE5? I never found anything better about it than OE6.

• 2 years later...

While I was in this Forum section answering another question, decided to bring this up to date.

dbiel's use of software is due to a workplace environment.

The Forum app ha changed since this first posted ... and I have made many modifications to the code along the way. At the time of this posting, the word-link 'Newsgroups' with a blue background take one to the 'active' newsgroup server .... the word-link with a white background allows the selection of each specific newsgroup and/or newsgroup-archive (handled on different servers)

dbiel's use of software is due to a workplace environment.
Wrong assumption. At work I have zero access to newgroups. It does relate to limitations caused by running old software and hardware at home - Pentium 120, NT4.0 server

Archived