Is sending reports in English a waste?

PaulKTF

99% of my spams come from non-English speaking countries (Korea, Brazil, Japan, China, etc).

So why on earth should I send them a SpamCop report that's in English if they aren't going to understand it anyway? :blink: The language barrier is probably the reason why the SpamCop reports go on ignored and I sitll get spams from the same old ISPs who refuse to take action.

When will SpamCop start translating reports into the language of the country they're going to?

So then the point of using my time to report them would be.... what, exactly?  :angry:

28771[/snapback]

Sorry if you are angry, but that is the state of the "spam war" right now. Some ISP's like making money more than reducing the spam load on the internet right now. It is up to you to decide if it is worth your time. Some (many?_ of us here would do this even without gaining personal benefit, just to do something to help.

One point is to get them listed on the blacklist and (if you are using the spamcop blacklist) then you will not see the spam from that same source again. If you do not use the spamcop BL, then you are donating your time to help those that do use it. I am in both situations as I have a spamcop email account at home but only a free reporting account at work. I get little spam in common between the accounts.

Also, the replies I receive back to my manual reports to these countries are usually multi-lingual, including English. I would hope that they have at least some employees that can read/handle the English complaints that come in. I know that if I receive a message at work in another language that looks like it might be legitimate, I find another employee who understands that language to try and interpret it.

So then the point of using my time to report them would be.... what, exactly?  :angry:

28771[/snapback]

Because we all hope that one day a light will flash in their empty heads and they will take notice and drop their spamming scum.

Yes, I guess I'm just upset at the state of things....

The really annoying thing is that I don't GET any replies to my reports to these countries. None whatsoever. Not even an auto-ack. So I don't know if they've been read, much less acted upon!

<snip>

The really annoying thing is that I don't GET any replies to my reports to these countries. None whatsoever. Not even an auto-ack. So I don't know if they've been read, much less acted upon!

28774[/snapback]

...Yes, most of us are in that boat, as well. I used to get an occassional acknowledgement but haven't in quite a long time.

28774[/snapback]

If you are talking about your spamcop reports then what is your current setting for:

Preferences

Report Handling Options

Non-critical, but possibly interesting options for more technical users. Report copies, confirmation dialog selection.

Report reply handling

Forward only replies from sentient people

Forward replies from people and robots

SpamCop challenges "administrators" by making them respond to an email to determine if they are people or robots. Only human replies which require action from you are forwarded to your attention by default.

You may override this behavior if you would rather receive every reply, robotic or otherwise.

Just a bit of a side note .... take a look around at some of the mainstream applications used for setting up and running a hosting service. Guess what, most of them are also primarily documented in English. One used to make some excuses and allowances for some spew sources for that reason also. However, as time marched on, this is not seen as valid all anymore.

Picking on SpamCop explicitly, one should go back that a SpamCop report/complaint is sent in a "standard" format, such that begging for help in translating one or two should give enough clue that all those others are the same, other than the IP address involved, spamvertised web-site, etc ......

Archived