Mailwasher fails to report to spamcop

john1000

Hi ,

i can someone can help on this.

My isp is chello (netherlands) and a few days ago i started to use mailwasher pro.

I thought that would be easy and was pleased to see it had a function to report the spam automatically to spamcop.

Yes i know we still have to confirm it but its easier....

But with all the help of their support forum i just cant get it to report.

And i had another talk with my isp and they said its not needed to use the login (under advanced- the smtp server doesnt require authentication)

So i tried that to,with all other things they suggested but i still get the error...

The smtp server cannot or will not send messages to submit.my-id-[at]spam.spamcop.net

the problem occurred while trying to send the email to submit.my-id-[at]spam.spamcop.net

anyone has any knowledge with this?

Hopefully someone with chello also... :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearing the air somewhat ... are you able to e-mail submit your spam from your own chello e-mail account?

If not, then it would appear that chello has an outgoing block in place.

If yes, then it sounds like you eed to hit the MailWasher support forum after checking your settings from top to bottom again, comparing the MailWasher configuration to the settings in your own e-mail application.

hi ,

sure im able to report spam using my email client,using thunderbird or outlook express.

both work as they should.

and im reporting spam for maybe 2 years,i dont know exactly.

but i thought the spamcop report function was handy ,thats why i tried it.

as for their support forum.

we covered all setttings already,but there isnt much to configure..

only the submit to spamcop code,the smtp info,and thats about it..

so how can anything go wrong?

And as my isp chello stated...nothing is hold back , rejected or blocked in any way from their side.

So i was just hoping to get some feedback here on how to get this working,or maybe someone else who can figure this out who has chello as isp.

Or ,.....but thats the end of the line i guess,.....is there another program that allows reporting to spamcop the same way mailwasher does ?

Just any solution to the above would make me happy..

Is that the exact error message you are getting?

What SMTP Server and Port Number are you using in MailWasher and your other clients?

Also, please note that per I've been blacklisted,

Disable bounce "feature" of mailwasher, which is being stupidly and wrongly set by default Bounces are in effect what MailWasher is doing but only to valid and innocent parties email addresses (mailwasher may check email address for validity, before sending a bounce)

26240[/snapback]

Hello Jeff,

No im not using any bounce function.

Any bounce function is useless and sure fake,that would only work if every spammer uses his own email address,so believe me...i dont use that.

As for the config..

in the pamcop smtp field i entered " mail.chello.nl "

And under advanced button i entered server port " 25 "

No further authentication is entered,my isp also said it wasnt needed.

However its tried with and without !

As far as the configuration goes...thats it... :(

in the pamcop smtp field i entered " mail.chello.nl "

And under advanced button i entered      server port " 25 "

No further authentication is entered,my isp also said it wasnt needed.

However its tried with and without !

As far as the configuration goes...thats it... :(

32111[/snapback]

But, not answered yet (though may not matter, but ...) does this match your 'standard' e-mail application that you say does work?

32111[/snapback]

the only standard port i see in thunderbird is 110

32119[/snapback]

Anybody else see something "different" between these two posts?

Ignoring the fact that typically, this difference would be the SMTP connection and a POP3 connection .. just noting that this bit of factoid doesn't seem to have been noticed/pointed at in the responses. The numbers might be correct, but in the wrong spots for example. It's just hard to guess at what you are seeing, configuring, and the answers are a bit 'loose' thus far.

You also have Mailhosts configured?

The problem with mailwasher while it works very good one tends to stay out of touch with the ever evolving SpamCop

For instance did you know spamcop reporting system was down 24th August (for a major hardware upgrade) much of the day and may be a source of your troubles

Ideally you should consider upgrading to a full SpamCop Email account which accuratly filters your email from spam and virus before you get it. all spam is put in a Very Easy Reporting (VER) folder

hi ,

it seems that my answers are questionable?

Aren't you the pro's here?

Im sure i dont have to tell anyone what config thunderbird has?

And unless im mistaken,sending port is 25 and receiving port is 110 ...right ?

(thunderbird has only the config for receiving)

So why this post ?

(john1000 [at] Aug 27 2005, 02:13 PM)

(john1000 [at] Aug 27 2005, 10:17 PM)

the only standard port i see in thunderbird is 110

So Wazoo...why you say..Anybody else see something "different" between these two posts?

This is confusing..

To be clear on a few things Wazoo,...i only see just 1 field in mailwasher that requires a port and thats OUTGOING.

And thats port 25 right?(thats the 25 mentioned)

And the only field that requires a port in thunderbird is receiving and thats port 110 ..

For petzl,....The work done on 24th has nothing to do with this.

This is going on for days no.

I can report with forwarded ,no problem there...

And i can understand your selling an account at spamcop but to be honest that wasnt my request.

Im hoping for any guru getting online here who has chello and is willing to try this out..

Or like i asked in first post,is there another program that has the function to report to spamcop like mailwasher supposed to do ?

Or like i asked in first post,is there another program that has the function to report to spamcop like mailwasher supposed to do ?

32131[/snapback]

John:

Spamcop does not "support" the mailwasher program or any other third party add on. There are some add-ons listed in the FAQ as a convienience. Your support should be coming from the mailwasher people. Especially if you can forward your email manually to the very same address on the very same machine.

One question I have not seen asked, you stated:

The smtp server cannot or will not send messages to submit.my-id-[at]spam.spamcop.net

the problem occurred while trying to send the email to submit.my-id-[at]spam.spamcop.net

You do not state whether the my-id- part is your munging process or part of the actual error message. I think to this point it has been assumed to be your munging (which is good) but by not mentioning, something may have been lost.

Munging?

in dutch that means?

Anyway..the my ID ,.. :0...sure thats naturaly my ID used in the report process..but taken out to prevent whatever...

So yes....my proper id is used.

But im suprised to hear this..

We dont support "third party add on"..?

Are we here to fight spam?

So doesnt that mean with every tool we can get our hands on?

Im no abuser ,nor am i using any bounce...

i even tried smtp.chello.nl ,but i knew that wasnt gonna do any good..

so it still rejected....

But this addon should be supported,if anyone abuses spamcop in anyway he should be kicked out from further use of the service.

But third party add ons should be supported as well..

But i still have no solution to this..

But im suprised to hear this..

We dont support "third party add on"..?

32133[/snapback]

By this I mean the volunteers here do not support this any more than we support Windows, Linux, or any of the thousands of products out there. This is a support for Spamcop. It does not look like it is spamcop rejecting themessage so there is little we can help you with.

Is that the exact error message you are getting?

32109[/snapback]

You haven't exactly answered that question. If what you quoted is directly from MailWasher, please state that. If it is from an email, please post the email, without the spam body and munging what you need to munge. Thanks!

Hi jeff,

The quoted message(error) is what the popup shows when i hit the button PROCESS MAIL.

So its mailwasher that shows the error..

Hereby some extra info.....

The socket log....

·[ Wrote ] HELO COMPUTER2¶
·[ Read  ] 250 amsfep17-int.chello.nl¶
·[ Wrote ] MAIL from:<mymail[at]mail.chello.nl>¶
·[ Read  ] 250 Sender <mymail[at]mail.chello.nl> Ok¶
·[ Wrote ] RCPT to:<submit.-id-[at]spam.spamcop.net>¶
·[ Read  ] 550 you are not allowed to send mail to <submit.-id-[at]spam.spamcop.net>¶
·[ Wrote ] RSET¶
·[ Read  ] 250 Ok resetting state¶
·[ Read  ] 550 you are not allowed to send mail to <submit.-id-[at]spam.spamcop.net>¶
·[ Wrote ] RSET¶
·[ Wrote ] RSET¶
·[ Wrote ] QUIT¶
·[ Read  ] 221 Closing connection. Good bye.¶ 

Their support forum pointed out the following also..

"550 you are not allowed to send mail to <submit.-id-[at]spam.spamcop.net>"

Any idea?

(names etc...are changed)

32145[/snapback]

You should ask the Chello people who support your use of email "Why am I and my MailWasher not allowed to send mail to <submit.-id-[at]spam.spamcop.net> through your mailserver mail.chello.nl?", "What did I do wrong?", and "How can we work together to find a solution that will allow me to again report spam via MailWasher and SpamCop?" (in Dutch, if necessary).

This is reminding me of a period where I worked at a Honda motorcycle shop, helping them get through the spring rush. Folks would ask if the 'slime' products for 'preventing flat tires' actually worked. From the "mechanic's" point of view, it wasn't a fair question, pointing out that the only tires 'we' saw with the slime installed were the ones where it didn't work (and cursed mightily at struggling to remove all traces of the goop) ... unknown would be the thousands of tires "out there" where the product was working as advertised.

"We" know that there are many MailWasher users out there. "We" know that there are many Thunderbird users out there. There are three users registered "here" using a chello.nl address, but you are the only one showing any posting activity.

Anything beyond that involves the guessing, trying to develop more data, and continuing to ask questions. I don't use MailWasher, I don't use Thunderbird ... simply trying to gather enough specific data to apply against what I know, what I've read, and what I can research to try to come up with "your solution" ...

Well wazoo,to be honest...i dont know anybody who still reports to spamcop..

I had my days i realy wanted to quit reporting..

And its very normal to find any automated solution to this frustrating hobby.

But sure its easy,yeah pay $30 and all solved..

But most people who still send the reports,that means..if you get 100 spam mails a day you still have to click that....report now...button..

Hundred times a day...

The socket log....

·[ Wrote ] HELO COMPUTER2¶

·[ Read  ] 250 amsfep17-int.chello.nl¶

Their support forum pointed out the following also..

Any idea?

(names etc...are changed)

32145[/snapback]

Does Thunderbird have the option to capture the same sort of diagnostic data? What one would like to see is the successful sending of the same spam/e-mail to the same submittal address. The comparison of the successful Thunderbird attempt and the failed MailWasher attempt would either clear things up as to the blocking action involved or provide some specific data to further pursue the issue with chello.

Well wazoo,to be honest...i dont know anybody who still reports to spamcop..

But sure its easy,yeah pay $30 and all solved..

32148[/snapback]

I'm still only using a free-reporting account. I do not use e-mail submittal.

Though in all fairness, my spam load has gone down drastically after some HotMail idiot/bot closed down my 9+ year-old HotMail account for spamming, due to the mis/non-reading of my actual complaint that started with the abuse of a webTV newsfeed into the SpamCop newsgroups.

im not aware of such data function in thunderbird.

but its interestring to say that i get the same result when i use outlook express.

So its not related to the mail client.

32150[/snapback]

OE does have the capability to turn on logging. But, I'm a but confused now ... if you're saying that OE results in the same failure message, then ... the location of the problem seems a bit obvious, though raising the question of how Thunderbird allegedly gets around that blockage.

well i never said this was an thundebird problem...

the way i saw it that im using mailwasher and the problems indicated a submission problem.

so to my knowledge you guys were the best option (ext to their software support) to figure out the problem...

Thats what i was thinking anyway...

But im going round in circles...

Tomorrow my isp says ...everything is ok here...

That leaves me again standing like idiot nr 1

well i never said this was an thundebird problem...

sure im able to report spam using my email client,using thunderbird or outlook express.

both work as they should.

the way i saw it that im using mailwasher and the problems indicated a submission problem.

so to my knowledge you guys were the best option (ext to their software support) to figure out the problem...

Thats what i was thinking anyway...

But im going round in circles...

Tomorrow my isp says ...everything is ok here...

That leaves me again standing like idiot nr 1

32153[/snapback]

At this point you have me going in circles. Based on the earlier post that OE 'worked' but your last remark 'get the same error' ... I'm not sure I'm keeping up with the flow here.

As I stated in my last .. you are the one that said Thunderbird (and OE originally) submittals 'work' ... MailWasher does not. Now I read that OE now fails, perhaps I'm making an assumption that Thunderbird still 'works' ...???

If none work, it's a chello blocking action. If Thinderbird and OE work, then it's a configuration in MailWasher. If Thunderbird works, but both MailWasher and OE are now broken, then it's either a configuration issue or there is something off the wall involved. As you're in the driver's seat and the only one thus far to be able to 'see' the actual configuration screens, I believe I'm out of guesses.

Archived