Anything I can do about this spammer?

plasma

Well for the last week some idiot spammer has decided to use my addy to send out tons and tons of bulk spam along with posting their crap to guest books. Since the country location of this IP ( 82.209.247.139 ) is in Belarus, yet the city it's located in is Woodhaven, New York, is there anything legally I can try with this idiot?

Not unless you have really, really deep pockets.

Depending on how you look at it, fortunately or unfortunately, there are so many other people that the spammers have done this to that no one believes that it is you.

There is a FAQ - Why Am I getting all these Bounces? that may make you feel better.

Miss Betsy

Would you care to post a Tracking URL, the promoted URL (or other similarities between the spam messages), and/or your joe-jobbed addy?  Thanks!

36748[/snapback]

Well I don't have anymore of the "bounce" reports, but once I go back up to Michigan on Thursday, I should be able to get them. ( I recently cleared the ones that were in there out, but within 2 days I'm sure I'll have a bunch more.) All the messages posted in the guest books either show the IP 82.209.247.139 or the host name 139-247-209-82.adsl.mgts.by so I'm fairly positive it's just the same person.

The addy this is happening on now is wayne[at]mail.com, and I know mail.com isn't the best service to use, but my throw away addy that I use there for signing up for things never gets hit with spam.

All you have to do is put that addy up on MSN search and it comes back with more and more results every couple of days now.

Well for the last week some idiot spammer has decided to use my addy to send out tons and tons of bulk spam along with posting their crap to guest books. Since the country location of this IP ( 82.209.247.139 ) is in  Belarus, yet the city it's located in is Woodhaven, New York, is there anything legally I can try with this idiot?

36745[/snapback]

It may well be a case of your Email address having been harvested by a worm on a contact's computer rather than entries in a guest book so attempting to chase down the culprit may be a fruitless task.

Of course this is just as frustrating but typically you can expect the spew to die down in a few days.

You haven't indicated whether you have an approach to spam trapping set up - but you may want to do so if you haven't anything already in place.

Andrew

Archived