[Resolved] Comcast blocking Spamcop?

csm1th

I noticed today that after submitting spam to spamcop I did not get the usual report emails back. At first I thought it was just a delay so I logged into spamcop. I was greeted by below message on the report screen. It appears that one of spamcops IP's, 204.15.82.125, is on Comcast mail server blacklist. Has anyone at Spamcop been in touch with Comcast Abuse about this?

<================>

Your email address, XXXXXXXXXXX[at]comcast.net has returned a bounce:

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Reason: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'204.15.82.125 blocked by ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=comcast,dc=net\nMail from this IP address is not allowed. Your computer has been identified as a compromised machine which needs to be cleaned in order to send email to Comcast. Please run an updated anti-virus/anti-spyware program on your machine immediately. If you believe this message is in error, please contact BrightMail at zbl-fp[at]review.symantec.com'

<================>

First of all, the SpamCop FAQ 'here'

SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service

E-mail Submittal Problems / Issues

E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP

Second item, if the write-up is to be believed, then BrightMail is the place tht needs to be contacted. (it's pretty much given that trying to talk to ComCast is a bit of a lost cause.)

note kicked upstream anyway ....

JT is contacting Comcast about this. My guess is that because Ironport added some new servers last week and this is a new IP, the sudden surge in email from that IP is often a pretty good indicator of a virus, but it is also common for a high volume mail server like SpamCop's.

This practice isn't uncommon and is used by many filtering services including Spamcop with its "probationary listing" of an IP suddenly showing up as sending mail when there is no history of mail from that IP.

http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...g=204.15.82.125

Richard

csm1th hang in there.

I have been having a similar problem with my ISP rejecting some of SpamCop's reports sense November. SpamCop was being told "Reason: 5.7.1 Unwanted Stock Scams)"

Seems one of their spam detectors was scanning the quick reports and seeing the Subject pasted in from each reported spam. Not all Subject lines were in their list so the Bouncing appeared to be random. They have not been able to find the offending filter so have opted for the All-off approach. I have not been able to identify the offending stock scam Subject. Has always puzzled me that the spam gets in, the pass to SpamCop gets out, but the report ???

Looks like your problem is more straight forward.

I had the same problem for the last couple of days and it seems to be resolved.  Sent a spam through today and the auto response came through fine (comcast) without error.

41522[/snapback]

I had the same problem yesterday. It said my machine was comprimised, but everything seems to be working today.

I stopped getting autoresponder emails (ISP is not Comcast) as soon as the number of reports dropped below the number of submissions (going by the stats graphs) but it came good a couple of days ago, even though the reports mostly stayed down.

Since about March 20, I have not received emails from spamcop even though I've continued to report spam as usual (forwarding spam as an attachment) via comcast. I am not technical and do not understand much of the discussion here, but I'm guessing that I'm having the same problem as others who've posted -- looks like comcast is blocking my mail from spamcop, but I am not getting any kind of message from comcast to explain. I thought spamcop had shut down or something or had stopped recognizing me as a registered user.

Since about March 20, I have not received emails from spamcop even though I've continued to report spam as usual (forwarding spam as an attachment) via comcast. I am not technical and do not understand much of the discussion here, but I'm guessing that I'm having the same problem as others who've posted -- looks like comcast is blocking my mail from spamcop, but I am not getting any kind of message from comcast to explain. I thought spamcop had shut down or something or had stopped recognizing me as a registered user.

41607[/snapback]

To check if your emails are being received by SpamCop, log into the reporting site. See How to log into the web based reporting window for more information. The reporting process can be completed even though you are not receiving the confirmation emails. Note: if you have forwarded a lot of mail in the period of March 20th to March 23 but did not complete the process due to not receiving email confirmations, you may want to delete all the old submissions first for if they are older than two days you will not be able to report them but will have to go through the process for each an every one until you get to the ones that are not too old.

The issue in this thread was never Comcast blocking submissions. It was Comcast blocking 1 spamcop server sending responses to Comcast. That problem has been resolved. I get response to all my spam submissions and quick reports now.

Archived