There seems to be some sort of problem with filters

Hi. I currently have 15 webmail filter rules and all seem to be working fine.

I tried to add a 16th rule. I clicked "Save" and the thumbs-up "Changes saved" message appears, but my new rule is not listed under "Existing rules."

I thought, maybe there's a limit of 15 rules. So I deleted one of my existing rules and tried to create a new one (a different one). After I saved the new rule, the old rule showed up again (not the new one).

There was a message at the bottom of the page:

A fatal error has occurred

DB Error: unknown error

Details have been logged for the administrator.

Is there a glitch in the filtering? What is going on here?

Thanks!

Hi,

I've had this problem before, then somehow it magically went away, now it's back again...

here's a description.

I run about 30-40 filters to make sure what I DO want is delivered to Inbox, and some blatant spam is moved to Trash.

Initially I had this all setup and it wouldn't apply filters... so I played around with the Filter options:

Apply filter rules upon logging on?

Apply filter rules whenever INBOX is displayed?

Allow filter rules to be applied in any mailbox?

Show the filter icon on the menubar?

and WAS able to get it to work properly... that was until about a week ago :angry:

One week ago I noticed how things were really slow in Spamcop, so I tried to speed

things up by playing with the filter options again (see above), after I did that, the filtering

does not work right anymore, (in fact it's behaving as it did initially - when I believed that

Spamcop.net is unusable), the same problem, the filters do NOT apply...

Now, I went into filters and tried playing with some of those, I notice this, when I try to

move my 2nd filter to 1st position using the arrow, I get this error:

Does anyone else have this problem - is there a workaround????

It's really annoying - in fact I'm having to go through my entire HeldMail folder 3-4 times/day to just

get my mail ;)

Any help would be appreciated... please...

Thanks in advance,

-Brett

Hi,

I did see the announcement regarding the major database upgrade.

If it caused the problem with filter rules, I figure someone needs to know about it...

It's still happening, by the way. Can't delete rules and can't add rules.

I agree, I'm having the same problem, and even worse, I run about 30-40 filters, all worked fine,

until about 1 week ago, then the filters went back to NOT working as they used to, now I'm busy

3-4 times/day looking through my Held Mail Folder (fun, fun, fun - NOT) :blink:

Funny thing, I had the same problem when I first signed on, Filters did NOT apply properly, from what

I remember I twiddled the filters and the filter options and something clicked and it started to work, that was for the last 4-5 months, now it's back where it was NOT WORKING and basically UNUSABLE :angry:

Any ideas what is going on, any fixes or workarounds, PLEASE?????

Thanks,

-Brett

Hi,

I'm having trouble with Filters (since about 1 week ago), ALL I get when doing anything in Edit Filters window is this ERROR Message:

Can you please let me know when this will be fixed and working as it was before????

Thanks,

-Brett

Moderator Edit: Merged this "new" Post/Topic into the most recent existing Discussion that includes postings by the same user on the same subject ....

Can you please let me know when this will be fixed and working as it was before????

Yes, when JT (the only administrator of the mail service) gets to it. I have informed him via email of thios issue already, but have received no reply. You can do the same. Check the FAQ for contact info.

Yes, when JT (the only administrator of the mail service) gets to it. I have informed him via email of thios issue already, but have received no reply. You can do the same. Check the FAQ for contact info.

Steven, I also am having the "filters from hell" issue and checked the FAQ, but didn't see any contact information...

... but then it's Friday and my brain is also about fried. I can only hope he's read your email and/or seen the forum. :huh:

and checked the FAQ, but didn't see any contact information...

???? in general, when "the FAQ" is mentioned within this Forum, the usual pointer is to one of te SpamCop FAQ links at the top of this page .... the question you bring up here actually has answers available in a number of places ... so Friday fried-brain or not, I need to ask simply ... what FAQ are you talking about in which this data cannot be found?

???? in general, when "the FAQ" is mentioned within this Forum, the usual pointer is to one of te SpamCop FAQ links at the top of this page .... the question you bring up here actually has answers available in a number of places ... so Friday fried-brain or not, I need to ask simply ... what FAQ are you talking about in which this data cannot be found?

Well, let's see here... the Spamcop FAQ link at the top of this forum page, the Spamcop FAQ from the main page at www.spamcop.net/help , the "How can I contact a Spamcop represenative" page at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/401.html (which refers mostly to using this forum) , and the "Where can I get further assistance?" page at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/327.html.

... did I miss anything? :blink:

Well, let's see here... the Spamcop FAQ link at the top of this forum page, the Spamcop FAQ from the main page at www.spamcop.net/help , the "How can I contact a Spamcop represenative" page at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/401.html (which refers mostly to using this forum) , and the "Where can I get further assistance?" page at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/327.html.

... did I miss anything? :blink:

You 'mention' the SpamCop FAQ found here (which incorporates the contents of the www.spamcop.net FAQ) which is much expanded over the 'original/official' version .... and you specifid links found that would be used to contact folks on the "reporting" side of the house .... not mentioned was any of the other links provided 'here' .. like the

------>------> Latest and Current Announcements <------<------ link results, the data found under an entry Titled Not finding the Help you need? .. just to toss out a couple of spots, beyond those actually listed in the SpamCop FAQ as found 'here' ....

Wazoo, I hope you don't mind my saying this has gotten 'way off topic.

Maybe we could just let Epoch fumble about for contact information and leave the thread alone unless there is more information about the filter rule problem...

Please see my latest post in another thread showing the exact same error message. I would assume the answer is the same.

Hi,

Wazoo, I hope you don't mind my saying this has gotten 'way off topic.

Maybe we could just let Epoch fumble about for contact information and leave the thread alone unless there is more information about the filter rule problem...

The sad thing is that's about all you can do 'fumble'. I've looked here for nearly

30 minutes, I don't find ANY personal contact information, the only thing I find is a

description like this:

J.T. - owner/Admin of the sytem that handles the SpamCop newsgroups, Forum, and filtered e-mail accounts

I don't find ANY personal contact information, and only 1 form for contacting IF you are

an ISP.

That leaves users of this system with zero contacts other than the forums...

Why can't you put a simple link like 99% of other web businesses ('Contact Us')?

Secondly - some change to SpamCop BROKE the filters - that's fine for the customers that

don't use them (by my guess probably about 90%), but the other 10% that DO use them and

have to use them - since turning on spam blocking and opening up to all other email just

does NOT cut it for me.... SpamCop will NO LONGER do what I paid it to do, block/filter

my email leaving me with only the valid Inbox replies I want to read...

Now, I know that there are other 'bigger bugs' to be fixed now, but at least recognizing that

this is a problem, and indicating it on your 'NEWS' would be a good idea, apparentlly none of

the admins use Filters either, or they would be complaining about the very same thing...

Unfortunately, if this is not working with 3 days (by Tuesday or Wednesday) next week,

I'll have to leave this service and find another service that WILL provide the service I need

to filter the email.

Thanks for trying to help..

-Brett

That leaves users of this system with zero contacts other than the forums...

This is the primary support method the owner of the mail service has chosen. For a small operation, it is much more efficient to have the existing users helping triage support calls.

Why can't you put a simple link like 99% of other web businesses ('Contact Us')?

Because then the one admin of the service would be overwhelmed with email he could not possibly keep up with. His address is here in various places and also on your confirmation of payment receipt when you paid for the service.

Now, I know that there are other 'bigger bugs' to be fixed now, but at least recognizing that

this is a problem, and indicating it on your 'NEWS' would be a good idea, apparentlly none of

the admins use Filters either, or they would be complaining about the very same thing...

There is only one admin of the mail system and as I understand it he uses webmail almost exclusively.

Archived