current IP ranges for China and Hongkong?

Kurt

Hi There!

I have tried over the past few years, sometmes successfully and sometimes not, to block the entire range of IP addresses from China AND Hongkong using an htaccess file on my website server as I want to prevent those in that region from stealing ideas from my site. Several years ago I located the IP ranges at APNIC http://www.apnic.net/db/ranges.html but I think my IP ranges are now outdated and I cannot find the most current ranges at APNIC. Does anyone have a better way to do the blocking and does anyone have a source on the most current IP ranges for China and Hongkong? Thanks for your help!

... Does anyone have a better way to do the blocking and does anyone have a source on the most current IP ranges for China and Hongkong? Thanks for your help!
Hi Kurt. This appears to have nothing to do with the SC email system and accounts. Did you post here because you saw the Blackholing China topic? If not, does that give you any answers?

Hi Kurt. This appears to have nothing to do with the SC email system and accounts. Did you post here because you saw the Blackholing China topic? If not, does that give you any answers?

Yes, I posted my question based on someone's prior discussion regarding the blocking of China IP ranges. I thought someone might have a source for a complete and up-to-date list of China and Hongkong IP ranges. Is that totally out of the "range" of this forum?

Yes, I posted my question based on someone's prior discussion regarding the blocking of China IP ranges. I thought someone might have a source for a complete and up-to-date list of China and Hongkong IP ranges. Is that totally out of the "range" of this forum?

Well, based on a quick glance, I in fact "merged" your 'new' Topic with an existing one within the Forum section (the same as where you decide to post into) described as;

SpamCop Email System & Accounts

A forum for questions and discussion about the SpamCop Email System and spamcop.net email accounts. Questions about spam reporting should generally be directed to the appropriate forum, not this one.

Now, playing catch-up, actually reading your entire post, I see that as mentioned, it has "nothing" to do with a SpamCop.net e-mail account. Therfore, splitting it back out of this Blackholing China (cn.rbl.cluecentral.net) broken Discussion and then moving it to the Lounge area.

I have tried over the past few years, sometmes successfully and sometimes not, to block the entire range of IP addresses from China AND Hongkong using an htaccess file on my website server as I want to prevent those in that region from stealing ideas from my site. Several years ago I located the IP ranges at APNIC http://www.apnic.net/db/ranges.html but I think my IP ranges are now outdated and I cannot find the most current ranges at APNIC. Does anyone have a better way to do the blocking and does anyone have a source on the most current IP ranges for China and Hongkong? Thanks for your help!

Try http://www.blackholes.us/ for a list of almost every country known plus some ISP lists.

http://www.blackholes.us/zones/countries has individual files by country in various formats.

Took a while to relocate it, based on the "wonderful" choice of Subject line;

Newsgroups: spamcop

Subject: Those blasted STOCK TIPS spams :-(

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:36:30 -0500

Message-ID: <C11B60FE.D335%mhoffman[at]morrisprintinggroup.com>

Hey All...

I'm sure that many of you are aware of those so-called stock tip emails that

keep penetrating not only spamcop filtering but also most other filters. I

think that we've finally found a way to lick them. These things are being

funneled through many different countries (I've counted 33 so far). There is

a black list that simply blocks emails based on the country of origin:

http://countries.nerd.dk/

I realize that for some this might be a bit extreme for some, but this has

cut out nearly 100% of these blasted things.

I hope that this helps others who are battling these spams.

I'm sure that many of you are aware of those so-called stock tip emails that keep penetrating not only spamcop filtering but also most other filters.

Thank you for the info Marc. For those who may not know, those tips are not initiated by the issuing company. There are people that buy large blocks of the penny stocks and then send those spams trying to convince investors to buy up their shares at a profit for themselves. The SEC has an email address to foward those illegal stock tips. Everyone I receive is forwarded to enforcement at sec.gov.

• 3 months later...

I have tried over the past few years, sometmes successfully and sometimes not, to block the entire range of IP addresses from China AND Hongkong using an htaccess file on my website server as I want to prevent those in that region from stealing ideas from my site.

You might want to check out the two packages I have available for free downloading on my site at http://fixingtheweb.com/

One package is for dedicated servers and allows you to block any number of countries from the entire dedicated server while the other package is for a website that runs on a shared server. You can pick and choose the countries you want to block. The one for the shared servers only works for blocking countries from your website, it can't block incoming emails, however it can prevent potential spammers from scouring your website looking for email addresses.

The one for dedicated servers uses iptables to do the blocking. The incoming packet is completely dropped, the user thinks you do not exist at all. No access to anything running on that server will be allowed for a blocked country.

The one for websites running on shared servers uses .htaccess but you don't fill up the .htaccess file with a bunch of IP addresses. For China alone, it would take almost 500 IP address ranges in your .htaccess file. Instead, all file requests are redirected to a .php file that does the work of checking to see if the incoming request is from a blocked country. If it is, the user will get a blank page. Almost no bandwidth is eaten up at your end and no data whatsoever taken from your website. If the incoming country is allowed, then everything works as normal and it works quite efficiently doing this.

Give it a try, anything we can do to thwart these stupid spammers is a good thing.

-Maurice

You might want to check out the two packages I have available for free downloading on my site at http://fixingtheweb.com/

Can't seem to get your site up... (And I'm not living in China either)...

It's on an iPower server and I checked a couple of domains I have hosted around there and one of them was down (totally different IP, in fact it was on the other side of the coast to yours). Wonder if they are having problems.

Can't seem to get your site up... (And I'm not living in China either)...

It's on an iPower server and I checked a couple of domains I have hosted around there and one of them was down (totally different IP, in fact it was on the other side of the coast to yours). Wonder if they are having problems.

Yes, it's on an iPowerweb server. Ironically, as you were checking for the site it was indeed down. That 's the first time that I'm aware of it ever being down, unless it's been down while I'm sleeping. :)

It looked like some sort of network problem because about 1 out of every 10-20 ping attempts would make it through.

It was down for about a half hour. While I was on hold contacting the people at the server location, it mysteriously came back up.

Anyway, you can access it now. I currently have no country blocks running on the fixingtheweb.com site. Although, I might find it necessary in the future. There are no blogs or forums to spam, so it's not a popular site for spammers. I have my email address listed on the site, but my email server (located elsewhere) has heavy country blocking and considerable spam detection during the RCPT and DATA phases. I enjoy nice clean, legitimate emails.

-Maurice

Yes, it's on an iPowerweb server. Ironically, as you were checking for the site it was indeed down. That 's the first time that I'm aware of it ever being down, unless it's been down while I'm sleeping. :)

It looked like some sort of network problem because about 1 out of every 10-20 ping attempts would make it through.

I've been involved with iPowre for many years now, so although biased, I have to say they have been the best hosting provider I've come across (when you look at value for money).

Support does vary depending on the requirement, but, it all depends on your own level of expertise. That would be the only downside, but when you get a human response in under an hour in 9 out of every 10 questions, that can't be bad. Even their live support via the web isn't 'too' automated...

Getting hold a sys admin can be a pain during busy periods.

The chances of hitting your server when it was down was surprising... As you say, they are usually very very reliable...

Archived