Webmail Beta

Deja vu for those of you who were here a year ago. We have a new webmail available to test. Please start using this right away and let us know what you think. The link for the webmail beta is:

http://webmailbeta.spamcop.net

https access will complain about the certificate name because we do not have a certificate for that name. You can use https fine, though, just ignore the warning. This will be fixed automatically when webmail goes live.

Please email problems only to this address: webmailbeta[at]spamcop.net or use the Problem link at the top of every page.

We have a person dedicated to working on this system, so we ought to be able to address issues quickly.

Thanks

JT

There is also a "Mobile Webmail" beta. Login with your phone or other handheld at the same URL listed above. When this logs in, it should take you to a page with a single link that says Mobile Mail. Click that and login again for a very fast, streamlined interface for portable devices.

JT

http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php has no note yet .... do you want this propagated to the newsgroups 'now' or wait a bit for some 'slow' testing?

Just a quick note... this has not been confirmed

I logged into the betamail and had ~6 messages. I tried to forward one and when I clicked the link, it told me there were no messages there. I immediately called my wife at home (currently working the night shift) and asked if she had downloaded messages. She told me she was reading messages, but not downloading them. I asked her to check the Inbox and she said there were no messages there. I want to check the home machine and repeat the process before I make a formal complaint. Just reminding everyone this IS a beta test.

http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php has no note yet .... do you want this propagated to the newsgroups 'now' or wait a bit for some 'slow' testing?

Newsgroups is fine now. Response to issues might be slow over the weekend, so I'll put it on the news page on Monday which should bring in a second group of testers.

Just a quick note... this has not been confirmed

I logged into the betamail and had ~6 messages. I tried to forward one and when I clicked the link, it told me there were no messages there. I immediately called my wife at home (currently working the night shift) and asked if she had downloaded messages. She told me she was reading messages, but not downloading them. I asked her to check the Inbox and she said there were no messages there. I want to check the home machine and repeat the process before I make a formal complaint. Just reminding everyone this IS a beta test.

I'm pretty confident the beta webmail won't eat your messages and make them disappear. If you can't logout and log back in and make them show up, then I suspect something downloaded them. Does your wife read email via webmail or an email program? If the latter, then reading and downloading are pretty much synonymous in most cases.

JT

I'm pretty confident the beta webmail won't eat your messages and make them disappear. If you can't logout and log back in and make them show up, then I suspect something downloaded them. Does your wife read email via webmail or an email program? If the latter, then reading and downloading are pretty much synonymous in most cases.

JT

I checked this morning and was not able to find them, but I agree I don't think it was a coincidence. She reads via Outlook Express, but I have the machine configured specifically not to download messages until the Send/Receive button is pressed.

I tested again today and had no problem.

Brought over from the newsgroup spamcop.mail;

Newsgroups: spamcop.mail

Subject: Re: webmail beta

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:29:40 -0500

Message-ID: <f54jl5$7l3$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

References: <f50p7k$kjk$1[at]news.spamcop.net> <f5190n$3om$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

"Tim McGraw" wrote in message

news:f5190n$3om$1[at]news.spamcop.net...

>

> I stopped after this:

>> Mail Maintenance Operations - Confirmation

>>

>> Message Mail is ready to perform the maintenance operations

>> checked below. Check the box for any operation(s) you want to

>> perform at this time.

>>

>> The current folder(s) "sent-mail, " will be renamed to

>> "sent-mail-sep-2006, -sep-2006".

>> All old linked attachments more than 6 months old will be

>> deleted.

>

> I have no problem with the latter, but what's with the sent-mail

> sept06 file renaming?

"Login Tasks" has a bunch of 'new' options. I'd have to guess that

this is where your question gets handled/answered ??

> I know, I know, I was supposed to report problems through another

> channel, but I thought others (yeah, the two others that read this

> ng) might want to know what to expect.

I'd like to think that there are more, but ...???? In this case,

even Forum traffic has been very light ....

Brought over from the spamcop.mail newsgroup;

Newsgroups: spamcop.mail

Subject: Re: Beta

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:34:46 -0500

Message-ID: <f54jun$7uj$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

References: <f530gh$m9i$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

"Jim" wrote in message

news:f530gh$m9i$1[at]news.spamcop.net...

> Wazoo

>

> The filters are not working correctly on the beta.

>

> On the beta I had 73 records in my "Held" folder. I applied the

> filters and the beta moved 2 records.

>

> I used the original program and 23 more records were moved.

>

> I was hoping the beta would have fixed the problem of not

> filtering non standard formats of the body of emails.

I have no idea of the 'linkage' between the two installs

The Beta/new version has a number of additional settings.

You may have to actually 'adjust' this Beta version, based

on the probable assumption that not all of the data in your

Configuration/settings matches up between the two 'interfaces'

to the database.

But again, I have no direct involvement with this application.

We're looking into both of the issues above that were brought over from the newsgroups. We don't have a specific resolution yet and the issue with filters isn't confirmed, but we aren't ignoring them either.

JT

We're looking into both of the issues above that were brought over from the newsgroups. We don't have a specific resolution yet and the issue with filters isn't confirmed, but we aren't ignoring them either.

My last reply to both threads was pretty much the same .. a pointer back to trevorb's "migration guide"

It appears that my guess was correct as noted by the post at

Webmail Beta migration guide

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8402

• 3 weeks later...

Latest announcement on the webmail login page:

Jul 11, 2007

[12:13 EDT] SpamCop Email is testing a new version of our webmail system. If you would like to try the new system, please click here or go straight to http://webmailbeta.spamcop.net. After you have logged in, you can use the Problem button at the top of the page to report any issues you see. Please help us test this new webmail to make sure it is ready to go.

I'll email this to the address provided, but I wanted to add it to the forum, since I can't log in.

Here's a screen shot

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/6865/untitledki8.jpg

After I log in, the screen stays hung up on this page.

... but when I closed that window and clicked on the beta link (after making this post), I was directed immediately to my inbox. Odd.

I'll email this to the address provided, but I wanted to add it to the forum, since I can't log in.

Here's a screen shot

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/6865/untitledki8.jpg

After I log in, the screen stays hung up on this page.

... but when I closed that window and clicked on the beta link (after making this post), I was directed immediately to my inbox. Odd.

Possible your Google toolbar blocked the messages stating maintenance was done (purging trash and last login information)? The second time you logged on it would not have shown those messages,

If you can confirm this happens when you first login, try disabling the Google popup blocker and see if things change.

I have been using the Beta since the original announcement with IE7 on both WinXP and Vista without seeing this problem. However, the Google toolbar is widespread enough this could be a major problem.

I sent something off, but wanted to post it here as well.

When trying the mobile site on my Treo 700p, all I get is a blank screen.

Other than that, I love the new features. The new message counts, the improved new mail message screen, the spell checking, and especially the fact that the beta doesn't have a really big delay before handling operations when opened in Firefox at work. (I had been using IE Tab at work to display webmail, since IE had no delay, but Firefox did -- but only at work. Weird.)

This is a thank you for a huge improvement in the beta that I don't see that anyone has mentioned: Access at work though our proxy server is MUCH faster with the beta. With the regular version, access through the proxy server is (and has always been) extremely slow (like 20 seconds or more to respond to a mouse click) although it has always been fine when accessed from elsewhere, and although other web mail systems have always worked fine through the proxy server. Anyway, spamcop mail's unique incompatibility with our proxy server has disappeared with the change to the new beta. Thank you, whoever is responsible for this particular change.

-- David

• 3 weeks later...

I've not seen any acknowledgment of two of my issues so I would like to mention at least one here -- the new webmail handles the "report as spam" differently.

In the old webmail, when you selected a message and clicked "report as spam," the message got queued for quick reporting and moved to the trash. Now the message gets queued for quick reporting and moved to the "held mail" folder.

This makes a big difference for me because I used to move all spam to held mail and quick reported them from there, and now messages don't get removed from held mail, PLUS there's no indication which ones have been reported. I'm sure I have accidentally quick-reported some spam more than once.

another comment which I'm entering separately -- I've noticed the icons across the top of webmail render pretty well in Firefox, but most of the themes are not very readable in Opera. ("High Contrast" is ugly but more readable.) I believe all the color themes worked fine in the previous version.

What are the "officially supported" browsers for the new webmail?

In the old webmail, when you selected a message and clicked "report as spam," the message got queued for quick reporting and moved to the trash. Now the message gets queued for quick reporting and moved to the "held mail" folder.

I can't confirm the symptoms you describe.

I just reported two items from my inbox and they moved directly into the trash as per the behaviour you expected.

Perhaps the Option in the Webmail beta for what happens when you report spam needs resetting...

Go to Options, Deleting and Moving Messages, and select your preferred settings.

Andrew

What are the "officially supported" browsers for the new webmail?

Presumably that's a function of the Horde IMP development. Try searching at http://www.horde.org/imp/

Andrew

I've not seen any acknowledgment of two of my issues so I would like to mention at least one here -- the new webmail handles the "report as spam" differently.

This makes a big difference for me because I used to move all spam to held mail and quick reported them from there, and now messages don't get removed from held mail, PLUS there's no indication which ones have been reported. I'm sure I have accidentally quick-reported some spam more than once.

You may want to contact the Beta team on this. I just tested again and it does not behave that way for my account using IE7 on Vista. It moves the message to the Trash folder for my account.

Looking over Andrew's response, I just noticed a new option available: Display the "Empty spam" link in the menubar? which presumably empties the Held Mail folder. Since I report all in my Held Mail, I never want to use this option, but will likely be useful for many people.

I asked what browsers are "officially" supported

Presumably that's a function of the Horde IMP development. Try searching at http://www.horde.org/imp/

I just dug around for about ten minutes and found nothing specific. Strange... I would think that would be an important issue....

I do have the full Horde suite available on another host so I may do some more experimentation with whatever version I have there.

Archived