Cannot POP access spamcop mail

I'm 99% sure I've configured Outlook 2003 correctly (I'll give details below). In responses to other posts a common question is "can you Ping pop.spamcop.net" - I cannot. None of the other posts tell you what to do if this is the case.

Setup:

Outlook 2003

POP3 Server: pop.spamcop.net

Port: 110

Username: myname[at]spamcop.net

Error message received:

Task 'paulwarshawsky[at]vdn.ca - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

If I try to ping, the address resoves to 216.154.195.50, but all the packets time-out.

This has been going on for several months (I've been using Webmail) but I having a lot of trouble keeping my calender up to date (can't send entries from home to work by e-mail).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Paul Warshawsky

I'm 99% sure I've configured Outlook 2003 correctly (I'll give details below). In responses to other posts a common question is "can you Ping pop.spamcop.net" - I cannot. None of the other posts tell you what to do if this is the case.

Setup:

Outlook 2003

POP3 Server: pop.spamcop.net

Port: 110

Username: myname[at]spamcop.net

Try mail.spamcop.net :)

That ping doesn't work suggests other issues. One of the most obvious would be a firewall involved somewhere ..... one of the oddest would be a filter somewhere that simply doesn't like the word "spam" as seen in "spamcop" ....

There are known issues in software apps like Norton/Symantec's Internet Security suite for instance, raising it's head in a number of strange ways. With just this Forum application alone, oddities include blank page results, other Discussions in which only some of the posts get displayed, browser shut-downs, etc. Apparently caused by the content found in some of the postings in some of these discussions.

Archived