Cannot delete a folder

I created a folder the way that we USED to have to do it by creating "Inbox.House Stuff". It created a separate inbox called "INBOX" with the House Stuff folder underneath it. I can browse to this folder, but I cannot delete it. The mail server tells me that it does not exists. What gives? Do I need some admin to remove it?

Lawson

I created a folder the way that we USED to have to do it

I'm not aware that anything has changed, so not sure what the 'old' way may have been.

by creating "Inbox.House Stuff".

Not exactly sure why the (assumed?) lead-in "Inbox." was actually intended to do, in comparison to simply creating a new folder under the 'selected/highlited' folder already in use, default being the system generated Inbox folder ....

It created a separate inbox called "INBOX" with the House Stuff folder underneath it. I can browse to this folder, but I cannot delete it. The mail server tells me that it does not exists. What gives? Do I need some admin to remove it?

Your description leaves me very confused.

-> Is the capiltalization exactly as you typed it in?

-> Where is this 'new' INBOX folder in reference to the system generated Inbox folder?

-> How exactly does the 'e-mail server tell you that it doesn't exist' ...???

My idiotic attempt at following your alleged steps leaves me with two folders now titled "Inbox" (no massive change in capitalization involved) ... with the "House stuff" folder generated as a sub-folder of the system generated "Inbox" folder.

Trying to manipulate the 'newly added' Inbox folder henertes the following error messages;

Renaming "INBOX.House Stuff" to "testing.House Stuff" failed. This is what the server said: Mailbox doesn't exist: INBOX.House Stuff

Renaming "INBOX" to "testing" failed. This is what the server said: Renaming INBOX isn't supported.

So apparently, both the capitalization issue and 'e-mail server notification' questions are now answered.

Noting that the folder I created using the drop-down menu, inserting just a folder name, was generated with no issues, placed correctly, and in fact, was also directly deleteabe ... The screwed up 'additional' Inbox folder itself comes up with the warning that if deleted, all data will be lost .... tried selecting the new sub-folder that was created/displayed under the original Inbox folder ... repeat of the error messages above.

Bottom line, things got screwed up by attempting to use/include a system-assigned/default variable, and all the resulting code is stumbling over that same variable (folder name) problem. I'd have to go through the code to see where the 'period' in the name sequence gets extracted/used, but than again, this isn't a default install, and my previous questions as to the specific configurations of this install have never been answered ... so not sure if my code-chasing would be yet another waste of time ....

To: "JT"

Cc: "trevorb"

Subject: duplicate Inbox created

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 04:53:06 -0600

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9081

User attempted to create a 'new' folder by using the string "Inbox.House Stuff"

Posted query was confusing enough that I followed the example to answer some of my own questions.

Results: a second "InBox" was created ... identified in the error messages as "INBOX" ... however, the handling code all seems to get hung up on the string 'inbox' .... thusly, one cannot delete, rename, etc. this newly created 'Inbox/INBOX' folder .... I've not sent any new e-mail to myself to see how bad this has screwed up the handling of incoming e-mail ...

Action/Help requested: kill off the second 'InBox' folder on the following accounts;

<elided>

<elided>

Then sort out the code that 'allows this mistake' to be made by users.

Additionally, folders by the name of "House Stuff" ... in my case it appears under the default/system-generated Inbox .... but trying to rename/delete it shows an error message calling out "INBOX.house stuff" .... and is disallowed.

A few years back, trying to add a new folder wouldn't work. All folders had to be created under the Inbox. That's why I attempted to put it in that way.

Still that way actually .. all folders are 'under' the Inbox .. so I still don't see a change. It's the "inbox.xxxx" that's out of the ordinary for me. I don't recall that being in the Help files at all, etc.

A couple of years ago (when I added 90% of the folders under my Inbox), webmail gave me an error when I attempted to just create a folder. I forget what led me to add the period, but doing that worked for all of the other folders. I was just surprised when I did the same thing I have done over 20 times before, and it didn't work.

Also, to answer another question... The full caps INBOX disappeared when I selected "Rebuild Folder Tree" from the DDLB on the folder edit page. "Work Stuff" is under the real Inbox now, but I still can't delete it.

Lawson

Also, to answer another question... The full caps INBOX disappeared when I selected "Rebuild Folder Tree" from the DDLB on the folder edit page. "Work Stuff" is under the real Inbox now, but I still can't delete it.

Minor detail, perhaps ????? This posted data does not match your initial query, so it also doesn't match my requested actions from JT/Trevor. So I guess the follow-up question would be .. have you sent your own e-mail to JT/Trevor asking for all of your 'added' folders that don't work to be handled by one of them?

e-mail from JT says that he fixed 'both' accounts .... from a couple of hours ago, so the question would still seem to be possibly valid, as I only talked about "Inbox.House Stuff" .. nothing about "Inbox.Work Stuff" ......

Archived