[Resolved] Yahoo POP

It appears that Yahoo! has some non-standard POP settings. Will SpamCop pop them? The settings that Yahoo! gives for paying customers are as follows:

Incoming Mail Server (POP3): plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com

Use SSL, port: 995

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Use SSL, port: 465, use authentication

Account Name/Username: Yahoo! Email Address

Email address: Yahoo! Email Address

Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password

Not sure if this means it will *only* work with SSL or not

It appears that Yahoo! has some non-standard POP settings. Will SpamCop pop them? The settings that Yahoo! gives for paying customers are as follows:

Incoming Mail Server (POP3): plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com

Use SSL, port: 995

Account Name/Username: Yahoo! Email Address

Email address: Yahoo! Email Address

Not sure if this means it will *only* work with SSL or not

Do you have a paid Yahoo account, or are you looking into it? If you have one, try it and let us know if it works.

POP Server: plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com

Username: Yahoo! Email Address

Leave on Server: Up to you

Use SSL: Checked

Error Count: Display only

Last Error: Display only

Delete this Entry: Unchecked

Does not seem that unusual a configuration. I believe gmail pop access uses the same settings as above, though I'm not sure SSL is required. You will be ignoring the SMTP stuff for SpamCop POP access. You could use those settings in your client if you wanted, I use SpamCop's SMTP exclusively.

Do you have a paid Yahoo account, or are you looking into it? If you have one, try it and let us know if it works.

POP Server: plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com

Username: Yahoo! Email Address

Leave on Server: Up to you

Use SSL: Checked

Error Count: Display only

Last Error: Display only

Delete this Entry: Unchecked

Does not seem that unusual a configuration. I believe gmail pop access uses the same settings as above, though I'm not sure SSL is required. You will be ignoring the SMTP stuff for SpamCop POP access. You could use those settings in your client if you wanted, I use SpamCop's SMTP exclusively.

I gave up on PopGate and paid for a year of Yahoo Plus mail access. I only thought the config was "odd" because I have never had SSL-enabled email before. :) Also, I overlooked the "use ssl" checkbox in configuring Spamcop's external servers. I figured at $20/year, that wasn't too bad... :)

I've gone in and reconfigured SpamCop's "external POP servers" to use SSL and I'll let you know if it works. I had to specify the port number in my email client, so I wasn't sure if SpamCop woudl work or not...

Well, if anyone is interested, it appears to be working. Just don't forget to check the box that says "use SSL". I initially overlooked that box and was wondering why it didn't work. Now that I've got that checked, everything seems to be working fine and Yahoo is coming into my SpamCop account just fine now. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Well, if anyone is interested, it appears to be working. Just don't forget to check the box that says "use SSL". I initially overlooked that box and was wondering why it didn't work. Now that I've got that checked, everything seems to be working fine and Yahoo is coming into my SpamCop account just fine now. :)

I need to try this , thanks

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you directly POPping Yahoo mail... this message I recently found on the Yahoo blog may be for you:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/ymailblog/~3/308403149/

Basically, they are having major problems with the recent rollout of new features (including SSL) and are rolling back the features.

Archived