Push support for iPhone 2.0 software?

Is Spamcop going to offer push e-mail for the new iPhone firmware? I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on it...

???? The "new firmware" ??? Are you talking about the phone that's allegedly not available until tomorrow?

Have you asked/suggested this question of/to the Horde/IMP developers?

Generic, U.S.-based, question .. what are the options available with the (new) e-mail system provided by AT&T ... can it 'conglomerate' other e-mail accounts/data into its own 'stream' ???? Or, wouldn't forwarding your SpamCop.net e-mail to the AT&T account be sufficient to invoke whatever it is you're asking about?

I just picked up a 3G iPhone yesterday morning, so I'll try to answer your questions/thoughts Wazoo.

The iPhone doesn't come with an email account of its own. As far as the AT&T plans are concerned, you get a certain amount of minutes, "unlimited" internet access, and a text messaging package if you so choose. So there is not an "AT&T Account" that you can forward things to.

The native iPhone push setup is Apple's $100/year MobileMe package, which is basically an Exchange clone with the addition of disk space and a few other frills. You get a web-based package of email/contacts/calendar on the communications side, and a 20GB iDisk for storing files remotely and sharing them as the case may be. It's fairly swank when it's working right, but I doubt you could convince anyone here that it was worth $100/year.

MobileMe can then push to the iPhone, PC, and Mac. The iPhone/Mac bit is more or less self explanatory since Apple built it in to the OS. For the PC, iTunes comes with a MobileMe sync agent that keeps Outlook 2003/2007's contacts and calendars in sync with the service; email is handled via IMAP. On the whole the service in theory works rather well, but they're still having launch pains at the moment. In either case it works better on the Mac than the PC.

Perhaps the more important bit is that the iPhone also supports Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync technology for integrating with Exchange. This includes all of Exchange's push features, and is the intended push method for business users. Ultimately if Spamcop wanted to offer a push service, they'd have to use a package that supported ActiveSync such as Z-Push.

At any rate, the easiest solution right now would be to forward all Spamcop mail to a MobileMe account, which could then push said email out. Dealing with sent mail would be a bit tricky however; you'd have to set up Spamcop too via IMAP/SMTP and then tell the iPhone to save sent mail in the Sent Mail folder, but I'm not sure how to tell the iPhone's Mail.app to not check the inbox (since we want it all going to MobileMe in this case).

I don't think anyone would complain however if Spamcop did offer Push services, even if it was at an extra fee. B)

Edit: Apparently the default Yahoo configuration on the iPhone operates in a Push-IMAP configuration if you use Yahoo's paid email service, so you could also forward your email to Yahoo and have it push out that way. That's certainly cheaper than MobileMe ($20 versus $100) although it lacks the contacts & calendar pushing, and still presents the problem of having yet another intermediary. It does give a bit more of a competitive reason for Spamcop to offer push services however. :ph34r:

I just picked up a 3G iPhone yesterday morning, so I'll try to answer your questions/thoughts Wazoo.

Fantastic write-up. Answered my questions and much, much more. Thanks! Much appreciated.

FAQ/Wiki data for sure.

Just to add to what I said (since it seems like I can't edit a post after a certain amount of time?), if Spamcop did want to offer push services, it looks like Push-IMAP would work for them too. I thought it was limited to the built-in MobileMe and Yahoo profiles, but it looks like it works for all IMAP accounts on the iPhone.

Just to add to what I said (since it seems like I can't edit a post after a certain amount of time?), if Spamcop did want to offer push services, it looks like Push-IMAP would work for them too. I thought it was limited to the built-in MobileMe and Yahoo profiles, but it looks like it works for all IMAP accounts on the iPhone.

Yes, the new firmware supports push-IMAP for any e-mail service that offers it. Not only does this work on the new iPhone, but also the older ones that have upgraded to the free 2.0 firmware offerred last week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have always used Webmail to read my spamcop email. Now I have an IPhone and I would like to add the ability to use my IPhone to directly d/l spamcop mail. I assume this means not reading mail in the IPhone Safari browser but in using the IPhone as a POP client.

Has anyone added SpamCop to their IPhone?

Can anyone give me the port #s and server names that IPhone requires?

thanks!

I'm guessing that the iPhone has IMAP email capabilities, so you'd use:

imap.spamcop.net

port: 993

and your email address as your login and your normal password. I've connected both with and without SSL turned on (probably better to use it, if possible).

DT

Hmmm....cherrick wasn't necessarily asking about a "push" feature....and my answer didn't involve a "push" either. I think it was better to keep the threads separate, unless cherrick comes back and clarifies that a "push" arrangement was indeed sought.

DT

Hmmm....cherrick wasn't necessarily asking about a "push" feature....and my answer didn't involve a "push" either. I think it was better to keep the threads separate, unless cherrick comes back and clarifies that a "push" arrangement was indeed sought.

I still point to Virge's response/post as pretty much covering both sides of that question under current conditions.

Right, I'm not interested in a "PUSH" but in having the 3G IPhone pull my email.

IPhones allow several email "accounts". Currently I have an IPhone email account linked to my Yahoo email account. When I tap on the mail icon, the phone pulls down mail from my Yahoo account.

I'll try the IMAP settings to see if I can get this to work.

I'll try the IMAP settings to see if I can get this to work.

Well, since someone falsely merged two totally different topics, I suppose I'll dilute my own questions and help you with your issue.

Settings for SpamCop IMAP on the iPhone:

Host Name: imap.spamcop.net

Username: youremail[at]spamcop.net

Use SSL: On

Authentication: Password

Server Port: 993

SMTP: smtp.cesmail.net (That's Spamcop's beta SMTP server for sending e-mail)

SMTP Port: 587

SMTP Use SSL: On

since someone falsely merged two totally different topics

My point, also. Hey, Wazoo.....I hope you'll reconsider and "unmerge" the "non-push" topic from the "push topic" -- all they have in common is an iPhone, but they're not really the same issue.

DT

My point, also. Hey, Wazoo.....I hope you'll reconsider and "unmerge" the "non-push" topic from the "push topic" -- all they have in common is an iPhone, but they're not really the same issue.

However, since I believe it is highly unlikely SpamCop will implement Push unless it is incorporated into the next release of Hoard IMP (whenever that gets done... last upgrade took ~3 years to implement), the solution is to use IMAP, thus, the solution (current work around) to the original question is indeed in this thread.

Even after reading some of the reasons for it, I still don't see what the big deal is... you get your email an hour sooner (assuming you have your device check every hour)? I have my Palm set to pull email every hour from SpamCop and does the same for my work email server where it also synchronizes contacts and calendar, all without "Push Technology".

Are you expecting to sync your webmail contacts as well? I believe that is a seperate but integrated product from the webmail tool and not sure what version we are using there. I personally do not use webmail contacts for anything but saving my submit addresses.

Even after reading some of the reasons for it, I still don't see what the big deal is... you get your email an hour sooner (assuming you have your device check every hour)? I have my Palm set to pull email every hour from SpamCop and does the same for my work email server where it also synchronizes contacts and calendar, all without "Push Technology".

Are you expecting to sync your webmail contacts as well? I believe that is a seperate but integrated product from the webmail tool and not sure what version we are using there. I personally do not use webmail contacts for anything but saving my submit addresses.

The big deal is getting e-mail immediately, instead of waiting 15 minutes to an hour. Once that is done, I can finally stop using IM.

However, since I believe it is highly unlikely SpamCop will implement Push unless it is incorporated into the next release of Hoard IMP (whenever that gets done... last upgrade took ~3 years to implement), the solution is to use IMAP, thus, the solution (current work around) to the original question is indeed in this thread.
Isn't Horde a front-end solution? Push would need to be implemented at the back-end, along side the current IMAP/SMTP server setup.

As for the matter at hand, aardWolf pretty much nails it. Push is more convenient than regularly scheduled pull. And given what would otherwise require frequent pull operations to get your mail quickly, push uses less power too.

As for the matter at hand, aardWolf pretty much nails it. Push is more convenient than regularly scheduled pull. And given what would otherwise require frequent pull operations to get your mail quickly, push uses less power too.

If you say so... I still don't see any advantage... even the every hour I pull mine is very intrusive into whatever I am doing at the moment. I don't need to be interrupted every 5-10 minutes throughout my day (the average I receive). It is the same reason our department dropped the PTT phones... everyone felt their problem was the most important in the company (I know the network is down, but I need a new headset for my phone).

I know others feel the need to get every email the second it arrives, but we all seem to have become slaves to our phones and email. I cut back on that a while back and my mental health improved a great deal.

• 6 months later...
I still don't see any advantage ...

There is a very big advantage in those countries whose telecoms DO NOT use SMS, especially no SMS between carriers, but all use email instead. I am thinking of countries like Japan.

If you use text messaging to reach someone in 'real time', e.g. to find, meet or update them in, say, meetings where/when they cant use the phone ... push its essential.

I'd like to bump this topic. I am desperate for push support/option right now.

The iPhone is set up to poll imap every 15 minutes as a minimum, it is dead slow and it uses packets. You can hack it to do it more often but that eats more packets and more battery.

Push is the only option. Being screwed by Apple for another $100 a year for a product like Mobileme sucks. It was poor as iTools and poor as .Mac. Its always been a joke service for the value.

Frankly, the whole iPhone experience on a commercial level is very un-classy and un-Mac ...

I'd like to bump this topic. I am desperate for push support/option right now.

You really need to be pushing the Horde/IMP project team for this.

The SpamCop Email service uses the Horde software and I don't see anyone making a SpamCop Email specific modification.

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
A request coming from Spamcop admins for their users would surely carry more weight?

Do the admins follow the forums?

I'm not sure. Many software products are updated based on number of requests for certain features. If Horde gets one request from spamcop or 10 requests from their users (loosely based on the interest here), the individual number of requests would seem to better indicate the real want/need for the feature.

Archived