54 replies to this topic

#21 DavidT

DavidT

Been There

• Memberp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Yes, I agree that the notice could be much more prominent--it should be posted in "Announcements." However, the primary admin of these forums hasn't been here in many months, and the email service is only a part of what makes up "SpamCop." More than half of the activity here has more to do with the reporting service and spam in general, rather than with the provision of email service to those of us crazy enough to still be paying for it (after all the outages and the way they've been handled).

DT

Edited by DavidT, 21 March 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#22 integrate

integrate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

This lack of information is getting to be outright rude. (Ironic footnote -- one of the options presented to me by the forum interface is "Enable e-mail notification of replies?" Ha! Ha!)

#23 hjp

hjp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Why is there no DNS with ZONEDIT???? There must be a reason. Did the bill for service not get paid???? Come on give us some more detail so we can plan what we need to do.

#24 dahauss

dahauss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

As a paying user since 2004, I consider that level of notice/support laughable. Even the "words" we have seen were quite difficult to find, especially considering none of the "words" are posted where they should be! May I suggest a big red "WEBMAIL/EMAIL SYSTEM DOWN, please stay tuned" posted on the MAIN www.spamcop.net page, instead of inside a topic thread 3/4 down a forum topics page, past all of the "READ THIS FIRST" and "LATEST NEWS/ANNOUNCEMENTS (last updated December xx, 2011" headlines?

EXACTLY.. That last time this was down for a LONG time, I had to GOOGLE SEARCH and FOUND THE FORUM.. I would not have known otherwise... today I had to search again to find the notice and forum posts..

I have given up.. I moved my domain to filter through GMAIL. We will see how this works. Once spamcop is back. I will move my folders over and am done I think... We'll see....

This is not the way to do business....

#25 Firefly

Firefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Unfortunately, DNS issues can sometimes take days to resolve - even if they fix the problem at the DNS host, the information has to propagate. However, my guess is that the problem is for some specific hostname that the email service uses to access its database, so it might be resolved more quickly. (Then again, if that was indeed the problem, they could get the service back online quickly by using the IP address.) As for what to do - I will tell you what I am doing, which is switching to Gmail. I don't particularly like this as a solution, because I dislike Google having access to so much of mine, but it works. Google offers "Google Apps" (including Gmail) for your domain for free, up to 10 users. I've been a Spamcop paying customer for many, many years, but I see how the service has slid since the Ironport acquisition.

#26 hjp

hjp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

EXACTLY.. That last time this was down for a LONG time, I had to GOOGLE SEARCH and FOUND THE FORUM.. I would not have known otherwise... today I had to search again to find the notice and forum posts..

I have given up.. I moved my domain to filter through GMAIL. We will see how this works. Once spamcop is back. I will move my folders over and am done I think... We'll see....

This is not the way to do business....

Same Here

I am moving

All we have heard is the problem is with ZONEEDIT. At this point we do not even know what the status of our email that we have yet received.

#27 ViRGE

ViRGE

Advanced Member

• Membera
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

IMAP is back from the dead. Everything is present and accounted for, though new email isn't coming in yet.

Edited by ViRGE, 21 March 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#28 Firefly

Firefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Email actually received will be there when the service comes back. Email in flight will usually get retried - assuming that the sender gets an error due to the outage. You will probably not lose anything, but it may be some hours before things get caught up. My advice is to redirect your mail now if you can, and worry about mail sent earlier once the system is up.

#29 JVRx7

JVRx7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

I can't speak for others, only myself, what has me very concerned is the increase in both outages and the duration of the outages in recent years. It is my great hope that I will not be "painted into a corner" thereby forcing me to investigate alternatives. J

#30 DavidT

DavidT

Been There

• Memberp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

IMAP is back from the dead. Everything is present and accounted for, though new email isn't coming in yet.

I tried IMAP connections using the web-based service at mail2web.com, but without luck, until I used their "intelligent login" option and let their servers decide what to connect to. I'm not sure if it was an IMAP or a POP3 connection, however, and it appears that over 12 hours of emails are missing right now. I tried using the same service (mail2web.com) to connect to my other SC email account (cesmail.net) and it didn't work.

DT

Edited by DavidT, 21 March 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#31 djporter

djporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Same Here

I am moving

All we have heard is the problem is with ZONEEDIT. At this point we do not even know what the status of our email that we have yet received.

Me too. Going to gmail I guess.

#32 JohnM

JohnM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'm not sure if it was an IMAP or a POP3 connection

Pop3 has been working most of the time - throws an error every so often, but allowed access. Last email in my list was from 10 hours ago

#33 DavidT

DavidT

Been There

• Memberp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Oh, and BTW, I have even more reason to be furious at this point, in that I just submitted a job application and résumé 48 hours ago and am hoping to hear back to see if they want to interview me. It's possible that their response could be floating around "out there" in the messages that haven't been able to get to my SC mailbox, or even worse, that they received some sort of bounce message (even a 4-hour server down message, etc.), in that it's an IT job! Please, "email_support," MORE DETAILS....NOW! DT

#34 Keithj

Keithj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

It's unacceptable. Spamcop has "collected" all my mail last night and today (it's now 8:45pm here) but is unable to let me read it. If the DNS has gone wrong, why am I seeing an SQL error? That doesn't make sense. I can see the "spam" it's hived off today (which I don't want to see) but not the day's e-mails (which I do).

#35 DavidT

DavidT

Been There

• Memberp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Be sure to take a look at the current "plan of action" just revealed in this new official thread.

DT

#36 cbi99

cbi99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

been a member for years, have recc'd SC to many folks. But this is it -- I'm done. Issues happen, but the half-hearted communication to customers has finally broken me down. as i was during the recent outage and long wait for restoration of past e-mail, i'm simply baffled by this. good customer communication is the cornerstone of any business, and should be job #1 in any company offering internet services.

#37 Firefly

Firefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Webmail is back!

#38 DavidT

DavidT

Been There

• Memberp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

BTW, it appears that webmail just came back up, at least for some of us. DT

#39 appyface

appyface

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

I can login to webmail now, but none of my new mail is showing there (yet?)... Also, there is no 'news' on the opening page. And if you click the link to the separate news page, there is an error message "Couldn't connect to server."...

Edited by appyface, 21 March 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#40 Firefly

Firefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

It will probably be 12-24 hours before mail sent today shows up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users