hetzner.de getting away with it?

C2H5OH

moan

Daily a dozen or two spams from hetzner.de get through my ISP's email filters.

All are touting product from South American businesses - in my case mainly from Peru.

Forever SpamCop has been devnulling anything for hetzner, so my reports are only going to Knujon.

Reading around the web it seems that hetzner have a reputation for cheap high-bandwidth hosting, "cheap" explains why many users report poor or non-existent support. If customers struggle to get a response we spam-complainers have no chance :(

I did read how some dark-webbers have been DOSing other dark-webbers who are hosted by hetzner. It seems hetzner's minimal sysops staff simply shut down any hosted server that comes under DOS attack - the L33ts are having fun taking each other off the air. Apparently it only costs $5 to hire a "gun"...

Google "How to destroy someone who hosts stuff at Hetzner" if you are at all interested.

There must be a better way of larting hetzner isn't there? Do they really not care if their servers end up on blacklists?

/moan

<snip>

Forever SpamCop has been devnulling anything for hetzner, so my reports are only going to Knujon.

<snip>

There must be a better way of larting hetzner isn't there? Do they really not care if their servers end up on blacklists?

...SpamCop's "devnulling" action can be for any of several reasons (including that hetzner "really [does] not care if their servers end up on blacklists." You may benefit by perusing the results of a web query of "devnull" appearing here in the SpamCop Forum. But note that SpamCop tries to provide reports to abuse addresses as a byproduct service of its primary goal of feeding statistics to the database that is used to determine whether spam source IP addresses should be included in the SpamCop blacklist and your submissions, even those whose reports to hetzner are devnulled, contribute to those statistics. And there's nothing stopping you from complaining directly to hetzner, yourself, although in case the reason that SpamCop is "devnulling" reports is that hetzner shares spam complaints with their spammers, you might want to do that from a "throw-away" e-mail address. :) <g>

... And there's nothing stopping you from complaining directly to hetzner, yourself, although in case the reason that SpamCop is "devnulling" reports is that hetzner shares spam complaints with their spammers, you might want to do that from a "throw-away" e-mail address. :) <g>

Yes, I'd considered that route, but I imagine they'd take no action unless I provided proof by way of a copy of received spam. I'd have to munge before sending otherwise the game would be up, and wouldn't that be an easy reason for them to refuse to investigate?

I'll give it a try and see if there's any response...

<snip>

I'd have to munge before sending otherwise the game would be up

<snip>

...Well, if you trust them enough to report to them, then IMHO there's no need to munge; if you distrust them enough to munge, then IMHO you wouldn't want to report to them at all because then they'd have your e-mail address from your manual report (assuming you submit the report to them via e-mail)! But it's your call and I think you've hit on a not unreasonable approach. Good luck!

Archived