Just checking

Lking

Leading tabs and/or blanks are eliminated in posts (except inside 'code' and 'codebox' tabs IIRC). 'indent' works with an HTML <span> tag so is (effectively) a paragraph-type thing. I guess there are other ways but I don't know any off-hand.

A "new" BB Code 'TAB':

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Here is an example of the 'tab' tag used to indent the beginning of a block of text. Only the first characters/line following the tag should indented, by one standard tab space (5 spaces), succeeding lines within the same text block defined by the tag revert to their normal left margin. No, I don't know what happens if you use it in conjunction with the other text positioning tags, 'right', 'left' or 'center', I leave that as an exercise for the student.

Note, once posted, use only "FULL Edit" else the non-breaking space characters become those annoying substitutions ( Â Â Â Â Â ) instead of clear space. Easily recovered - just re-edit (no changes needed) in full edit mode and submit.

Now, instead of a 3-character ellipsis one can use the 11 characters of opening and closing 'tab' tags. :P And at last we can show in plain text what headers with line continuation indents look like.

Received: from icp-osb-smtpdir7.iinet.net.au ([10.2.56.7])

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp by icp-osb-dovedir-wa2.iinet.net.au (Dovecot) with LMTP id ZL55FQhpy1P3LAAA3sXqFA

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp ; Sun, 20 Jul 2014 09:00:07 +0000

Even 'code' didn't always show that EXACTLY.

Received: from icp-osb-smtpdir7.iinet.net.au ([10.2.56.7])
	by icp-osb-dovedir-wa2.iinet.net.au (Dovecot) with LMTP id ZL55FQhpy1P3LAAA3sXqFA
; Sun, 20 Jul 2014 09:00:07 +0000

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Wow, Steve, excellent -- thank you! So, I'll continue this paragraph with some meaningless verbiage just so I can see the full effect of the "tab" command on a long paragraph, not that I have any doubt that it will work exactly as you describe it. Be that as it may, this relatively long paragraph should convince me beyond a reasonable doubt that it does, indeed, work as I wish. And since I don't see a need to use it in conjunction with other formatting commands, your caveat should not matter to me. :) <g>

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And, of course, I now see that it does exactly what I want -- thanks, again! Edit: except that neither [ tab ] nor [ /tab ] throws a line feed, as some other tags, such as [ quote ], do! But not a serious problem; I'll just have to enter my own explicit line feed.

• 2 weeks later...

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp  'tab' tag - this has been fixed now but the fix not applied retrospectively since the tag was only available for such a short time before being scrunched in the forum update, nobbled before it was used but a handfull of times.

Well, worse things happen at sea. And at least it isn't ailiased out by a 'quick' edit this time.

No, no, save your applause ...

• 2 weeks later...

Activated the ACRONYM tag, using SC to bring it to life**. Apart from standard acronyms, (just the one so far) it can be used in 'free form' to add commentary, explanation to any post, readers just "hover" their cursors over the underlined text (like hovering on an xkcd cartoon) - as to be seen in the post http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/14446-keep-getting-hacked-please-read/page-2#entry90756 and below.

** had to wait for a thunderstorm, lightning, threw the switch and it was done. "It's ALIVE," I cried, joyously. The wife looked at me strangely then stood firmly in front of the cutlery drawer while the cat beat a stealthy but dignified retreat.

Oh, alright then, TANSTAAFL tanstaafl Tanstaafl - TWO regular expressions, this one case-insensitive

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp If I remember correctly (and it's been a very long time, so there's a very good chance that I don't! :) <g>), TANSTAAFL is what Heinlein used; too bad it doesn't work! :( <frown>

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp If I remember correctly (and it's been a very long time, so there's a very good chance that I don't! :) <g>), TANSTAAFL is what Heinlein used; too bad it doesn't work! :( <frown>

Yes, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" popularised it - certainly following publication of that it entered the general vocabulary (by about 1967). It is all you ever need to know about economics.

• 7 years later...