[Resolved] No response from spam submission address

mschmitt

Today I forwarded (as attachment) spam to my personal spam submission address, but it went into a black hole: nothing was received back from the SpamCop AutoResponder, and it never showed up on the Report spam page.

I tried it twice, on completely different spam, with same no-result.

This used to work, as of October 3rd.

Is it just me or is this a widespread problem?

Just tried and submission worked fine - no e-mail back to say so but submission was waiting, ready to report almost instantly.

[edit] Ah, autoresponder e-mail DID arrive, just took a little over 4 minutes to do so.

I don't think so. I have been submitting spam by email all day and receiving responses, last one about 8 minutes ago.

Have you looked at past reports to see when the last spam was processed? there may be a buffering issue.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp From what little you've mentioned here so far, doesn't "Failure Point #1 (before Action E in TECHNICAL DETAILS below)" apply to your case? If not, certainly "PROBLEM RESOLUTIONS for Reporters" item #4 applies to you, as it applies to everyone to which nothing else seems to apply! :) <g>

From what little you've mentioned here so far, doesn't "Failure Point #1 (before Action E in TECHNICAL DETAILS below)" apply to your case? If not, certainly "PROBLEM RESOLUTIONS for Reporters" item #4 applies to you, as it applies to everyone to which nothing else seems to apply! :) <g>

I meant, none of the steps were a match, so yes, I'll need to report it.

Spoke too soon. I tried doing a submission while also CC'ing myself, and I'm not getting that either.

Now I'm really confused. Here's the results:

1. Submitted to SpamCop from FastMail via FastMail webmail through Apple's iCloud SMTP: SpamCop never received, no response.

2. Submitted to SC from desktop via iCloud SMTP: SC never received, no response

3. Submitted to SC from desktop via iCloud with CC of FastMail address: SC never received, and I didn't get the CC either

4. Submitted to SC from desktop via FastMail SMTP with CC of FastMail address: SC never received and I didn't get the CC

and yet, all other email I send, including some test messages to these addresses, are working fine.

This doesn't make any sense. It doesn't seem to be the SMTP server filtering it, because I tried two servers. It can't be FastMail filtering the response, because the Report link never activates, showing that SC isn't getting it. But then why don't I get the CC?

It can't be local software blocking it, because FastMail webmail didn't work on a completely different machine.

... more testing ...

OK, I think I'm getting blocked by two different SMTP servers, in two different ways:

1. I think the iCloud SMTP server thinks my SpamCop mail submission is spam, and is dropping it on the send.

2. I think the FastMail SMTP server is blocking any mail sent "From" a different address; meaning it is rejecting it because I was sending it from my iCloud address.

I finally got it to work by using FastMail SMTP and sending from a Fast Mail address.

WHAT A PAIN. This is exactly why it was much simpler to use submit spam reports from the SpamCop email system.

Archived