Spam to Domain Registrant contact address

spinner

[see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/12258-spammers-have-their-own-isp/ in "New Features" for the similar problem]

I have a vaguely similar problem in that I am being spammed directly by godaddy and some of its subsidiaries. Also its to my domain contact addresses, there seems to no reporting mechanism through ICANN (you have to have a valid domain contact address but there's nothing to stop it being abused). I want to know if there's any reporting possible at the top domain registration body level (those who licence the registrars). I have tried contacting 1and1 (my registrar) but they are incapable of comprehending that a competitor is spamming their customers and tell me to turn on the spam filters.

This my first post so ridicule is welcome.

I have a vaguely similar problem in that I am being spammed directly by godaddy and some of its subsidiaries. Also its to my domain contact addresses, there seems to no reporting mechanism through ICANN (you have to have a valid domain contact address but there's nothing to stop it being abused). I want to know if there's any reporting possible at the top domain registration body level (those who licence the registrars). I have tried contacting 1and1 (my registrar) but they are incapable of comprehending that a competitor is spamming their customers and tell me to turn on the spam filters.

This my first post so ridicule is welcome.

This is why the contact address for my domain is my spamcop.net email address. I had a feeling it would get spammed, and sure enough, I started getting a lot more spam very soon after I registered my domain. I don't think any of mine was from godaddy, but then spammers seem to keep moving around, probably to try and get around spam blockers.

Prior to CESmail shutting down, the spam would get caught in "held mail" and could be reported very easily. Since the shutdown, only legitimate email (no spam) has come through. I preferred being able to report spam rather than having it disappear, but at least it's not getting to my inbox. Unfortunately, unless you happened to be a customer of CESmail before they shut down a little over a month ago, none of what I've wrote so far is likely to do you any good. :(

One thing that may help is reporting every spam you get. In my experience, that seemed to slow them down a little, but your mileage may vary.

Another idea: on some domains, "domain privacy" is an option to avoid displaying your contact info, although once the spammers have your email address, I'm not sure that helps much unless you get a new email address and domain privacy at the same time.

And welcome to the forums. :)

Hmm... I just noticed you replied to a message from a couple years ago in the "new feature request" area. I'm not sure our discussion is really relevant to new features, so we may find that one of the moderators moves it somewhere.

Moderators: I depend on the reply notification feature, so if you move this and think there's any chance it will keep the system from sending me such notification, could you please PM me so I can log in and set the notification in the new location? I'm assuming it will email me if someone sends me a PM.

Good opportunity to see how things work in this implementation of the IPB BB. Indeed, notifications are left behind with the original topic. anyone8 will need to unsubscribe to that one and subscribe to this (notifications should then work in relation to this topic). PMs sent to O/P and to anyone8.

• 1 year later...

This is just an add on to the reference to 1and1 - their mail servers have been hacked and all my addresses hoovered up. There is even spam being sent to my spamcop reporting address

Try their Facebook page didn't work for me.

You might have better luck?

I think they are German from the REAL Germany?

Archived