Google Strewing My Info About?

mollym/CA

It seems it's impossible to use You-Tube (intelligently, with subscriptions to valued channels) or my Android tablet without a Google sign-in. And Google has made it difficult to post a comment without a Google Plus account.

A colleague of my husband's noted that the last reply he'd received (I handle much of the email addressed to my husband) was sent as if from a name associated ONLY with a Google account I created long ago so as to be able to access certain Google groups. I deep-sixed -- supposedly-- that account and the Google Plus account, which I also suspected of being the source of advertising emails from companies I have no record of having had anything to do with, and created a new one so I could keep track of my favorite You-Tube cooks and crochet experts.

Thanks to Mailwasher I seldom need to worry about phishing or other "dangerous" emails getting to my computer (and thanks, thanks, thanks to Mailwasher for making one-click reporting to SpamCop possible!) but it's very annoying to have to delete ad emails from Mailwasher day after day.

Does anyone else here have reason to think Google is making their email addresses available to companies in their Google Shopping members? I checked Google Shopping on a couple of queries and recognised some companies' names.

I suspect there's no way to stop this if indeed it's Google that's strewing my information about, but if there is I'd be more than glad to hear about it!

Molly from the Valley

I have a gmail address that I use on rare occasions for accessing web sites, but I don't use it for actual email.

Why would Google care about a petition? As long they keep getting money from advertisers, there's no incentive for them to change their policies.

I don't even use Google as a search engine. I usually stick to DuckDuckGo or Startpage, both of which claim to respect your privacy.

Archived