64 replies to this topic

#61 dra007

dra007

Been There

• Memberp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:30 PM

This thread is getting as old as the Limburger cheese I bought last year. Bottom line is that with such opposing views no one is listening, besides there is no give and take in this debate. As annoying as spam is and the spammer scum are, I am starting to buy the idea that a common front to combat those criminals is beyond anyone's dreams.

#62 shmengie

shmengie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:30 PM

http://www.ece.arizo.../~edatools/etc/  I've used this chart in discussions on other forums, always with the caveat that this is a very small sample.  I would like to improve the chart with a better sample, maybe several hundred SpamCop reports, and maybe a better selection of "typical" domains to compare with AOL.

View Post

I was curious, so I took a look. After reflection, I don't see the relavance. Does AOL still have Cable customers? I'm going under the assumption they don't, and in that event your comparing apples to oranges.

I applaud AOL for their antivirus initiative, and suspect that may actually influence the numbers, but aside from that, dail-up and cable/dsl are two different beasts.

#63 Jeff G.

Jeff G.

T-shirt wearing out

• Membersph
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:45 PM

AOL indeed has broadband customers. Their "AOL for Broadband" and "AOL Over Broadband" services are described here.
Best Regards, Jeff G. (full signature)

#64 shmengie

shmengie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

AOL indeed has broadband customers.  Their "AOL for Broadband" and "AOL Over Broadband" services are described here.

View Post

AOL works over broadband. Which a convoluted issue. When you read the fine print, *other charges* and/or *other contracts* may apply. Althought it sounds like a lot of users continue to use AOL even tho they not the Broadband provider...

AOL broadband customers are reported by spamcop as originating from their actual broadband provider, which really invalidates the comparision between AOL and Broadband providers.

Edited by shmengie, 14 March 2005 - 09:30 PM.

#65 elvey

elvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

Sounds like rubbish to me? They have no customers or reputation that I know of? I do not see anybody but themselves touting their claims as true!

No reputation?
"On July 1, 2004, Kelkea, Inc. purchased the assets of Mail Abuse Prevention Systems, LLC."
If you haven't heard of MAPS, you, well.... MAPS was the ORIGINAL DNSBL (A.K.A RBL) based on the ideas of Paul Vixie/Dave Rand, its founder(s). MAPS reputation is well known.

Partering with an organized crime syndicate like SBC is not a good thing... But I just see them listed as a customer (which probably just means they use the MAPS blacklists). There's nothing wrong with taking SBC's money, IMO.

Edited by elvey, 18 May 2005 - 01:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users