sender rep or blocked?

jefforamma

hello,

i am dazed and confused. im not sure where to turn to.

i am having problems emailing from our server. it is ip 209.44.177.66. i can mail to many domains but there are several that are not working for me. and until today have not figured out why.

ie. Hc-sc.gc.ca - ironport.hc-sc.gc.ca

Qc.aira.com - mxmta.bellnet.ca

Marlintravel.ca - bebn.srvr.bell.ca

Carlsonwagonlit.com - usmn00mx.carlson.com

At first i thought it was a bell network issue as alot of the domains seemed to be on bells networks. However today i found a domain on mts.net, MTS's (manitoba tel's) network that had the same problem. After talking with their very helpful support line (bell's is another story :( ) i was advised to check on senderbase.org. where it shows my ip has a poor reputation.

now i am in a datacenter where there are other ip's on my subnet that are out of my control. i know my servers/range is clean. however on searching over senderbase.org i cant see where i am getting blocked.

spamcop is clean for my ip. as are others i check.

here is the ndr i get back immediately after it is sent out.

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

*****[at]mts.net on 05/02/2008 3:05 PM

Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator.

<amelia.intelisys.ca #4.4.7>

I am able to send from 2 other sites to those domains. just that ip has the problem. i cant even telent to those mail servers. it just drops my connection immediately.

sorry for the book. does anyone have any suggestions. i am in despate need. please help.

Hi!

...Looking near the top left side of this page (and most all other SpamCop Forum pages) and clicking the link labeled "SpamCop FAQ," I find a link labeled "How can I check if an IP is on the list?" (You may already have found some instructions to this page or one like it, as you mentioned that "spamcop is clean for my ip.") Navigating to that link, I find another link labeled "web lookup form." Clicking that, I type in your e-mail server IP address (209.44.177.66) and click the "Numeric IP address" button. The resulting page has a handy link labeled "SenderBase Lookup." (Again, you may already have found your way to this page, as you mentioned that "i was advised to check on senderbase.org. where it shows my ip has a poor reputation.") On that page,

• I see: "SenderBase reputation score: Neutral."
  • there are several useful links, including a link to a Google group search and links to other real-time blacklists. I checked and your server IP address has hits on none of them.

Conclusion: a blacklist against 209.44.177.66 is probably not the cause of your problem (but, then, I am far from an expert on such matters; hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in on my conclusion).

...The message you received is of little help. You may want to contact whoever sent it and ask them for some more useful information.

hello,

i am dazed and confused. im not sure where to turn to.

i am having problems emailing from our server. it is ip 209.44.177.66. i can mail to many domains but there are several that are not working for me. and until today have not figured out why.

What are you using to send mail? I see no email server on 209.44.177.66, it has a generic airmail.net reverse IP that does not look like an email server. Senderbase shows no mail from that IP detected. The message you are receiving looks like you are being blocked/firewalled on those systems as you are not getting through.

doh..im sorry...i mistyped my ip on my original post. :blush: was trying to do to many things at once trying to figure this out.

it should be 209.44.117.66 not 177.66. i am sooo sorry to above commenters.

that will give you the proper dns info.

also, there is no real mail server there. i only send out mail, using IIS6's smtp server. i dont recieve mail at that ip. i host our reservation app there. my clients send out email itineraries from the app and from web bookings. so no incoming at all.

The Senderbase reputation of your upstream provider is indeed listed as Poor. I think you're correct that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with your IP, which is clean in the Robtex lookup and has no history of reports from SpamCop members.

There's a Senderbase contact address for this situation found on this page:

http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/help_ip_other

I'd write to them, but also contact your provider about the reputation.

DT

Archived