Sorry - it does sound vague now that message is in a different section.
I wrote "new" about the Mailhost Config since the SpamCop webpage about it said it was "new". (Don't know how long it has been there, I have been reporting spam in SpamCop through MailWasher for years now.)
"Them" is Comcast. Today I tried to process the two Comcast mailhost configs to SpamCop and both failed. The two emails from SpamCop Robot shows "Received: from spamcop.net (failure[220.127.116.11](untrusted sender)) "
I can not complete the configurations because the error email says:
"Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:
It appears that the sample you provided has been altered. Often, extra
line-breaks are inserted by your software in an invalid format. Part of
the reason for this proceedure is to ensure that you and your software are
submitting spam in an error-free format. Please review the relevant FAQ
for your software and ensure you are following a proceedure which returns
intact spam content to SpamCop."
I don't know what to do from here since I did it two ways -- the forward and the website copy exactly as I received it. I guess I will just continue using SpamCop as I always have. (I am back now to reporting after not receiving report link emails sometime after March 23.)