I couldn't _find_ the original (merged) message. Your forum is not particularly conducive to finding stuff, it seems. Since I am not experiencing an "Amazing reduction in spam", it wasn't likely that I'd consider that as a thread subject for which to search. No matter. I was awaiting the results of my experiment, and was disinterested in others' similar experiences or Spamcop's refutations. I wanted more evidence, so I waited .. and watched ...
No, absolutely not. I'm only addressing the issues with the free reporting service. You see, one of the possibilities could be that (heavens forbid!) Spamcop is "encouraging" such purchased accounts by compromising mail accounts that use the free service. Not accusing, exactly, just saying. Purchasing an account would mask that test.
Which is exactly why I didn't use a new Gmail account. My test account had been in existence for well over a year, and had been totally disused for months prior to the test. It had NEVER received any spam.
Except I submit that it may not be "receiving spam for no apparent reason." There's a distinct possibility (the one I clearly raise here, the one you so quickly discount before and now) that Spamcop is the apparent reason.
I see no such demonstration. I see only a refutation, a denial. I do not accept that a huge influx of spam would come out of nowhere. Possible, yes. Likely, no.
Exactly my conclusion. Why would a spammer want to flood a known anti-spammer with spam? He'd just be causing problems for himself. So I considered that "trace me through the spam itself" to be not very likely.
Which leaves only Spamcop as the source of the compromise. That, or a hateful universe.
No .. the original POP mail site continues to get its usual flood of spam (ranging from 88 to 128 messages a day), all of which are now (or were) being reported via the "new" Spamcop account (with its Gmail address). (Note also that any clues imbedded in that spam would point back at the POP mail account, and NOT the Gmail account; an intentional part of my experimental design.) My initial post said that POP account got virtually no spam at all (a sporadic 2 or 3 a day) .. until I started reporting those few via Spamcop. Then the flood began. That was the "coincidence". The Gmail spamming I considered "enemy action."
That's good to know. I couldn't really find (in searching through the Spamcop site) exactly what was happening with my reports. I see the same bloody spam supporting / friendly ISPs over and over again, and no apparent detrimental effects at all on the spammers. So I had to wonder. One would think that months of reporting spam would do something.
As it is: I still do not accept that the spammers somehow discovered my Gmail account, after over a year of non-discovery .. exactly two weeks after I started using a new account on Spamcop to report.
I think I'm going back to my own manual methods of crushing spammers (complaints to ISPs, their ISPs, and on up the line, yea even unto the Nth generation). It worked then. Obviously Spamcop isn't doing me any good.