I have looked around on this forum and the spamcop main website and I am not finding the information I need. There is such a vast array of info and I do not know what my situation is called in technical terms so I am at a bit of a loss. If someone could point me in a direction or help me with an answer I would be very grateful.
I work for a web development company and we developed a short url service (like tinyurl and shorten.ws) for our own use as well as leaving it public for our clients. At one time we thought about marketing the site, but this is no longer the case.
On Friday our host shut down the website because of a warning from SpamCop. Monday when we came in the office we added a captcha, a new terms of service & removed the offending redirect. Now we are also building a process to quickly moderate all offending redirects as well as skim the database for spam internally.
At the same time we are adding noindex and nofollow to the meta data and we are going to block the site somewhat with a robot.txt file. We want to get the site out of major public use without password protecting it. We want our clients to be able to use it without any extra steps.
The site is used internally to help keep urls in emails short.
So now that we have fixed the site and everything is back to normal... the host is happy and our company is happy.
At my work station I use CA Security Suite. And all emails have to go out through my ISP's SMTP server. Incoming emails come in through our company server. I have no issues with my incoming email.
When I send an email that has the domain in question as a link, the email just sits in my outbox. It never gets sent. When I remove the short url and replace it with the long version the email goes through fine.
This issue has only started to happen AFTER we got the warning from our host. I need to figure out how to fix this issue.
As I have stated, this is a site that we use internally and have a lot of company related redirects for our payment page, for our terms of service attached to contracts, etc.
Seeing as the issue started when we got the warning, we are left to believe that the domain is listed with SpamCop and that emails are being checked against this list at my ISP level. I have read that once an infraction is fixed, the problems resolve in around 18 hours. However, we are now 3 days in and it is still an issue.
Another point to note:
No emails were ever sent from our short service domain. And no spambot type bots are attached to our site. The spammer that used our site did so manually and sent the emails out from a web based email service unattached in any way to us.