No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Hi there,

my ISP just moved my mail account to a new mail server. Now I cannot report spam anymore. The error message is always

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust anything beyond this header

(Example)

I have deleted my mailhost configuration and created a new one.

Can anybody help me? I just can't see what might be wrong.

Thanks a lot.

Nic

my ISP just moved my mail account to a new mail server. Now I cannot report spam anymore. The error message is always

(Example)

Not an unusual problem.

I have deleted my mailhost configuration and created a new one.

Deletion is not normally a requirement .. but you don't really say anything about the results of creating a new one ... steps which would normally include the testing of submitted spam to see if things end up with correct results.

Can anybody help me? I just can't see what might be wrong.

One important bit that you dropped from your posted "result" message was that it was in fact "Line 0" of the parse. This means that the only server/IP Address involved was not recognized as being in your MailHost Configuration data.

So, with no data about any errors in the creation process, only this sample of a bad parse result, the only suggestion is to point out that your creation of your 'new' MailHost Configuration data-set was a failure. There are SpamCop FAQ entries here that include a walk-through of the process ... and if that doesn't help, then it's back to reading the Pnned entries in this specific Forum section, where Ellen explains what needs to done next, if those additional steps are necessary.

For comparison, please see http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2607606959z6...93f364a8809adez for a non-MailHost Configured parsing result from a submittal created from copying your source data (minus body text)

Hi Wazoo,

thanks for your reply.

Deletion is not normally a requirement .. but you don't really say anything about the results of creating a new one ... steps which would normally include the testing of submitted spam to see if things end up with correct results. [...] So, with no data about any errors in the creation process, only this sample of a bad parse result, the only suggestion is to point out that your creation of your 'new' MailHost Configuration data-set was a failure.

I repeated the setup process once again. There is no error. I get a "success... Thank you for registering your mailhost with spamcop" reply. But as soon as I try to report spam, the same error message appears again.

Back to the example mentioned above..

0: Received: from gmail.com ([71.80.170.26]) by MAILCENTRAL7 ([212.223.168.71], envelope-sender=<ookej[at]gmail.com>) with SMTP (noSPAMtoday 3.1.5.1); Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:44:21 +0100

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

The "supposed receiving system" is 212.223.168.71, right?

That is in fact the IP address that is listed under "Relaying IPs" in my mailhost configuration.

Nic

I repeated the setup process once again. There is no error. I get a "success... Thank you for registering your mailhost with spamcop" reply.

OK, thanks for that.

But as soon as I try to report spam, the same error message appears again.

Back to the example mentioned above..

The "supposed receiving system" is 212.223.168.71, right?

That is in fact the IP address that is listed under "Relaying IPs" in my mailhost configuration.

You probably will want to follow the next set of words I offered above. However, my questions would start with a description of just how you are 'getting' this e-mail. I find the headers and your exampled words a bit confusing.

"Relaying IPs" suggests something not quite expected in normal conversation about your specifying an actual Host, but perhaps others that use the MailHost Configuration will jump in, perhaps telling me that this is normal ...???

I'm not sure I understand the headers at all, actually .... the first line seems to be a bit of crap (but then again, this might have something to do with just how you're collecting your e-mail .. I've looked at several "received by/from Google and I can't see anything similar at all.)

The second Received: line is just odd .... whereas the first line includes a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain name) for the receiving system, the second Received line does not .... "MAILCENTRAL7" should really read as "mailcentral7.internet1.de" ... and the rest of the construct of that line seems a bit out of kilter.

This may be something that Don/Deputies might be able to work around in their hands-on massaging of the MailHost Configuration database, but that's not for me to say.

"Relaying IPs" suggests something not quite expected in normal conversation about your specifying an actual Host, but perhaps others that use the MailHost Configuration will jump in, perhaps telling me that this is normal ...???

This is normal... :)

Mailhost name: SpamCop

Email address: underwood[at]spamcop.net

Hosts/Domains: mailgate.cesmail.net bulkmx2.spamcop.net popgate2.cesmail.net mx2.cesmail.net blade5.cesmail.net blade4.cesmail.net mx71.cesmail.net blade1.cesmail.net mx53.cesmail.net spamcop.net c60.cesmail.net mailgate2.cesmail.net fetchmail.cesmail.net mx70.cesmail.net sc-app1.spamcop.net filter8.cesmail.net blade3.cesmail.net filter7.cesmail.net mx.cesmail.net mxin2.cesmail.net blade2.cesmail.net bulkmx1.spamcop.net blade6.cesmail.net cesmail.net mxin1.cesmail.net webmail.cesmail.net

Relaying IPs: 64.88.168.82 204.15.82.29 64.88.168.70 216.154.195.49 192.168.18.82 204.15.82.27 155.97.131.72 204.15.82.31 216.154.195.50 204.15.82.24 64.88.168.74 216.154.195.54 195.239.122.89 216.154.195.44 64.88.168.71

my ISP just moved my mail account to a new mail server. Now I cannot report spam anymore.
I fixed your Mailhost, but that isn't the problem.

The receiving server doesn't properly identify itself when it gets the mail from outside, which causes the parse to fail.

I sent you email about it.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

I can help you with that.

Please send me your login email address and I will be happy to look into it.

Do not post that information here. Send it to me directly at: service[at]admin.spamcop.net

OK, so Don's over-riding Ellen's instructions .... but as nothing else was commented on, end result would appear to be the hand-massage of stuff in the database.

OK, so Don's over-riding Ellen's instructions ....
If you're talking about Ellen's posts from 2004, you should know that I have long since taken over Mailhost issues.

but as nothing else was commented on, end result would appear to be the hand-massage of stuff in the database.
The problem was the hosed headers preventing the Mailhost system from creating a proper host registration. I was able to manually fix the Mailhost so it shows the proper servers, but the hosed headers appear in the spam, too, and the parse simply couldn't compensate for the headers.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

If you're talking about Ellen's posts from 2004, you should know that I have long since taken over Mailhost issues.

Reading that as 'permission granted' I've edited Ellen's post to correct the address. (and touched the MailHost Configuration Wiki page a little)

The problem was the hosed headers preventing the Mailhost system from creating a proper host registration. I was able to manually fix the Mailhost so it shows the proper servers, but the hosed headers appear in the spam, too, and the parse simply couldn't compensate for the headers.

Thanks for that information and your changed previous post ... leaves me feeling much better about the data I posted in Linear Posts #4 and #6.

• 1 year later...

Archived