How to edit your post? The button is gone...??

happycatmeows

Hello,

I posted on this forum yesterday and I was able to edit my post. Today, I want to edit the same post but I can't, because the "edit" button is gone.

I made another post today and I am able to edit only the post today.

How can I edit yesterday's post? I need to delete someone's name on there from an email address... thanks.

Hi, happycatmeows!

...Please try the following to find an answer to your question:

• Click the link labeled "Help" under the "Reporting Server Status" graphic near the top right side of the page.
  • Under "Search Help Topics," next to the text "Enter keywords to search for," enter the Keyword "edit" (but leave out the quotes) into the text field and press the "GO" button to the right of the text field.
  • In the Search Results, click the link labeled "Posting."
  • Search the page for the section labeled "Editing Posts" and review the last paragraph (especially the last several words of that paragraph).

...If you still have questions, please post as a reply here.

I posted on this forum yesterday and I was able to edit my post. Today, I want to edit the same post but I can't, because the "edit" button is gone.

I made another post today and I am able to edit only the post today.

How can I edit yesterday's post? I need to delete someone's name on there from an email address... thanks.

Unfortuantely that information is currently missing from the FAQ, I will work to add it back in. But in the mean time; the answer to your question is that you are only able to edit your own posts for a limited period of time. After that time limit expires the edit link is automaticly removed. Please send a PM to either myself using the link that follows this post or to Wazoo with the information that you need to remove and we will take care of it for you.

Later edit: The updated FAQ entry may be found at: SECTION 6 - Troubleshooting & Quick Links/Shortcuts

Additional edit: It looks like Wazoo has already made the necessary edits.

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old discussion, but I could not find a way to delete or edit previous posts.  I came to the link mentioned above by a few different routes, but all that remains there these days is the message below.  So, where is the edit or delete button?

"Sorry, there is a problem

The page you requested does not exist

Error code: 1S160/2"

There is a point were a post is "old enough" that you can no longer edit or delete the post.  How old is the post you want to change?

Yes the information/links above are from a previous incarnation of this forum.  Many old links were broken when the database was moved from the old forum software, which was unmaintainable, to the current software.  Even if the links worked the information about 'how to' use the forum would be incorrect.  That all is to bad, but the world we live in.

=Edit=

"Members" can edit their own post for 2hrs after adding the new post.  An opportunity for writer's remorse.

Well, they're older than 2 hours but not old enough to be archives!  They are a couple weeks old.  I want to delete some, because they contain the links to reports which I was referencing.  Now that I've received answers to my questions, there isn't any further need to have them posted; and I don't like that anyone can still come along and view the links and get info from it.  (Some names and some email addresses were not redacted on the reports).  If I can't delete, I'd at least like the ability to edit so I can remove that stuff from being harvestable.  I'm sure that this group, who are aware of the danger, must have written in the ability to do that?  I just cannot find it.  Help.

There is a point when the Tracking URLs are not longer available; 6 months~year.  I suppose it has to do with cleaning out the old data base.

Editing/deleting older post would/could cause issues with continuity of a thread or historical context.  Harvesters are one of the reasons the forum pushes so hard the use of Tracking URLs vs cutting/pasting email content into post, not just the clutter and extra length of a thread.  (Tracking) URLs are included as "external nofollow"

Which thread are you concerned about?

• 9 months later...

Archived