mail appears to be from myself

Much of the mail caught by spamcop appears to be from "myself[at]mycompany"

I know it can't be because that address never sends anything out.

Through the host of my company website I can set up email addresses and forward them to my actual address at my ISP. I have all of these forwarded through spamcop to catch the junk.

1. Is it possible that email is being sent out purported to be from "myself[at]mycompany" to others?

If so, how do I stop it?

2. Is there some way to tell spamcop that anything with a header saying it is from "myself[at]mycompany" is obviously spam, without blocking all the messages forwarded from my website host?

3. Is there any way a legitimate email would show up appearing to be from "myself[at]mycompany"?

Hi, kspontak,

...Usually, e-mail that appears to be from your e-mail address is forged. The purpose is to sneak by spam filters. See

<snip>

1. Is it possible that email is being sent out purported to be from "myself[at]mycompany" to others?

If so, how do I stop it?

...Yes but there's nothing you can really do about it. Anyone who knows anything about e-mail will know that such spam almost always has "From" addresses that are forged.
2. Is there some way to tell spamcop that anything with a header saying it is from "myself[at]mycompany" is obviously spam, without blocking all the messages forwarded from my website host?
...I believe so but since I don't use SpamCop e-mail I don't know what that is. Hopefully someone who knows more will follow up with you on this point.
3. Is there any way a legitimate email would show up appearing to be from "myself[at]mycompany"?
...There's no reason for this that occurs to me, unless you actually did send one to yourself. But then you'd know that! :) <g>

I'm of the thought that I just might be confused as to just what the situation might actually be that you're trying to delve into. FAQ, Wiki, and numerous previous Posts, Topics, and Discussions about dealing with the "forged From:" address issue. The SpamCop E-Mail news page has a specific entry dealing with the "my address" issue.

The word "caught" seems to suggest that spam is being recognized and tossed into your Held Folder, ehich is what most folks seem to want.

I have the feeling that the real question/scenario behind these words just might be that you have the "e-mail address that never sends anything out" has been whitelisted in your configuration and is therefore forwarding this spam to your 'other' accounts ...???? If this is really the issue, remove "your" e-mail address from your whitelist.

Not to worry, it is just the spammer forging your email address as the "From" address on his junk. There isn't anything you can do about that but ride it out and hope the spammer starts forging somebody else's address pretty soon.

If that address doesn't send mail, then you can put it on your SpamCop blacklist so that all mail coming "from" that address will be diverted to your Held Mail folder for reporting. Also, make sure the address isn't on your SpamCop whitelist.

without blocking all the messages forwarded from my website host?
If your webmail host is forwarding mail to that same address, you probably should give your webmail host a different address to use. Maybe create a special address and keep it totally secret except the webmail host.

Is there any way a legitimate email would show up appearing to be from "myself[at]mycompany"?
It might be technically possible, but not likely.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

You can ensure that Spamcop Mail does this by using its "Personal Blacklist" feature. adding

"myself[at]mycompany" to the blacklist (under "options").

any email with a From, Sender, or Return-Path that is in the blacklist will be diverted to Held (unless it is also a "Personal Whitelist" item)

"both personal Whitelist and Blacklist have the same rules, Enter an entire email address or a single or multiple level domain on each line. Do not use wildcard characters."

Blacklist bankofamerica.com will result in an item inserted in the email headers

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blacklist bankofamerica.com

Archived