Outlook received header problem

Farelf

Leon Mayne has announced a new version (presently in Beta) of SpamGrabber - for Outlook 10.

From newsgroups

Newsgroups: spamcop

Subject: Beta testers required

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 22:27:13 +0100

Organization: SpamCop

Sorry for the spammy link to an antispam newsgroup, but I've finally got

round to writing a new version of SpamGrabber (formerly OLSpamCop) which

works with Outlook 2010 and I was wondering if the good folks here could do

a quick test for me to make sure it isn't knackered? Site is

http://www.spamgrabber.org

Brief news: SoftScan was bought out by Symantec, who have their own spam

reporting application aqnd have therefore dumped support of SpamGrabber.

This was a mixed blessing, because:

1) It means the project no longer has a licence for Outlook Redemption (but

irrelevant as I've written the new version to use built-in objects), but

2) It means the project can finally be open source (code is available at

http://code.google.com/p/spamgrabber/)

HTH,

Leon.

Deputy Richard has amended the SC FAQ at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/122.html

• 1 year later...
Does it work well? It seems like it hasn't been updated for about 2 years.
No idea - don't think Leon would let it rest if there were any problems with it though. Outlook 2010 hasn't changed in about 2 years either. Did you look in http://www.spamgrabber.org/forum/ ?

SpamGrabber is third party - not a SpamCop product - "Questions and support must be directed to the provider of the program," as it says in the SC FAQ.

Maybe some other member here who uses it has a comment to contribute? They should feel free to speak up if so.

SpamGrabber is third party - not a SpamCop product - "Questions and support must be directed to the provider of the program," as it says in the SC FAQ.

Maybe some other member here who uses it has a comment to contribute? They should feel free to speak up if so.

Well, yeah of course the developer says "as far as he knows" it's compatible. I could have told you he'd say that. What I want to know is whether or not it actually is. Maybe an Admin tested it?

Personally, I tested it and it seems to work. When I viewed the Full Header it sent and compared it to the actual full header (from the web based mail client, not Outlook's); it was only missing one or two lines (didn't seem like important ones though). And it's probably Outlook that stripped these lines. Also, there was a couple extra ones, but those were just X-headers from my Avira security software.

Hi, General Lee,

<snip>

What I want to know is whether or not it actually is. Maybe an Admin tested it?

<snip>

...For an answer to those questions, I would suggest that you inquire of the SpamCop Deputies by writing to deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net.

Hi, General Lee,

...For an answer to those questions, I would suggest that you inquire of the SpamCop Deputies by writing to deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net.

Ah yes, good advice. I shall do so at once and report back my findings so that all shall know what is good to use. Although, I'm probably going to get yelled at with something like "We told you, you're supposed to use those at your own risk. We don't endorse them, nor do we test them." <_< Admin don't like being asked about products that aren't their own.

From http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10241 (O/P brantgurga) Added emphasis.

As a result of a fairly lengthy and intense investigation of Outlook 2003 and 2007: Outlook does *not* include full and accurate headers when you forward spams as attachments. It reorders the Received headers, which makes them untrustworthy, as well as deleting/not forwarding other headers including X-headers, which is of less importance but which may loose some valuable information needed by ISPs/hosting companies.

The result of the 'scrambled" or reordered Received headers means that SpamCop does not reliably know where the injection point of the spam is.

Outlook is reordering the headers, not SpamCop.

Thusly, if you are running Outlook you *may not* forward your spams as an attachment for processing. You can copy/paste or look into running mailwasher or some other 3rd party add-in/add-on but you must stop forwarding as an attachment.

I want to thank the SC users who cheerfully gave of their time ito help in tracking this down.

Ellen

SpamCop

wazoo/mods -- if you would propagate this info to the wiki or other areas as necessary it would be appreciated.

Dear Ellen and Wazoo: I was directed to this topic by a respondent to a topic I started about Outlook 2010 (Always says "Nothing to do"). So 2010 must be doing the same thing. If I can help you by sending you stuff from my 2010 I'll do it. Meanwhile what I can tell you is that forwarding as an attachment fails MOST of the time, but from Comcast's Email web site it works -- MOST of the time.

Dear Ellen and Wazoo: I was directed to this topic by a respondent to a topic I started about Outlook 2010 (Always says "Nothing to do"). So 2010 must be doing the same thing. If I can help you by sending you stuff from my 2010 I'll do it. Meanwhile what I can tell you is that forwarding as an attachment fails MOST of the time, but from Comcast's Email web site it works -- MOST of the time.

So then do what I have been doing. Use Spamgrabber (http://www.spamgrabber.org/). That should fix all your problems with Outlook 2010.

<snip>

Although, I'm probably going to get yelled at with something like "We told you, you're supposed to use those at your own risk. We don't endorse them, nor do we test them." <_< Admin don't like being asked about products that aren't their own.

...Ah, but you aren't (shouldn't be) asking them about a different product, you are asking them whether they tested the SpamCop parser with a third-party tool. Okay, I guess that it's conceivable that they might be testy about implicitly being expected to test with another tool. :) <g>

Dear Ellen and Wazoo:

<snip>

...Neither Ellen nor Wazoo is here. I'd suggest that you write to the SpamCop Deputies (FYI, Ellen used to be one but she left a while ago) at deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net.

• 1 year later...