Ignore and Kill

I would like that Spamcop Mail had something like an Ignore / Kill feature.

For instance, if the email is BOTH in a geographical blackhole, AND is listed on Spamcop.BL or the like, AND has a high SpamAssassin score, then just kill it, i.e. do not accept it , (and the sender will get a "not delivered" notification, I guess, explaining why).

On the other hand, if the email is OR in a geographical blackhole, OR is listed on Spamcop.BL or the like, OR has a high SpamAssassin level, then let's ignore it, i.e. accept it in the Held Mail.

That is just an example. Even better, each user can set what makes a KILL and what makes an IGNORE, with a set of rules.

For instance

SpamAssassin >20 ---> KILL

Nigeria BlackHoles ---> KILL

SpamAssassin >4 AND Spamcop.BL --> IGNORE

and so on...

What do you think?

Of course, that would require some server resouces :D

For instance, if the email is BOTH in a geographical blackhole, AND is listed on Spamcop.BL or the like, AND has a high SpamAssassin score, then just kill it, i.e.  do not accept it , (and the sender will get a "not delivered" notification, I guess, explaining why).

SpamAssassin can't do its work until the entire message arrives. At that point, it's not practical to hold the connection to the sending server open while SA runs. This means that Spamcop must accept the message before it can make a determination whether it should be "killed".

Once accepted, the only options are to drop it in the bitbucket or generate a new bounce back to the (probably forged) sender. The latter is unacceptable as it's a form of abuse by itself. I think the former is a bad idea because the point of Spamcop is to report spam, not simply filter it.

As for using the blocklists: Again, it may not be practical during the SMTP dialog to do the necessary lookups to get the settings specific to that user.

Unfortunately, I believe the only good way to get that kind of capability is to run your own mail server.

Archived