[Resolved] Datacenter power failure - east coast system

Wazoo

from SpamCop Email System News

Apr 25, 2009

[16:47 EDT] At this time, we don't have any further information about the power situation in our data center. However, all services have been up and running since mid-morning. We apologize about the inconvenience. The power, unfortunately, is handled by our provider and we will be following up with them.

[10:31 EDT] Our datacenter suffered another major power failure this morning. We're bringing everything back online as quickly as we can.

Coming in late to the party today, I found the newsgroup server wasn't available. I started poking around on it to try to find the souce of the 'load' problem. Not happy with what I see going on with the provess list, made a phone call about the possibility of some bad things, but could only leave a voice-mail. Now having hit the Forum, I find the news about this power-failure issue. Doesn't explain the issues I'm trying to resolve, and this certainly doesn't fit the "all services have been up" description, so made another phone call, hit voice-mail, asked for a return phone call. Posted this for others to stumble across just to let them know that the news-server issue is known about at least.

At this point, I'm of the belief that the hard-drive has major issues. I can't even manage to get the dang thing to shutdown, even attempting a "forced re-boot" command. Sent an e-mail, got a ticket, to see if Trevor might be in the area. (Noting that the data-center is a drive for him also)

Just chatted with JT on-line. Although I convinced him that the newsgroup server wasn't totally dead, he's also thinking that the hard-drive is hosed, pointing back to the probability of foing the last re-boot without shutting down (specifically, the power failure) He will wander over in that direction when time becomes available, noting that it's way down on the list of other critical stuff that needs attention first.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived